I'm done.

Started by deconstruct99, February 13, 2009, 06:33:44 PM

Quote from: Lakota on February 13, 2009, 09:37:37 PM
Amos|104|78|100|armed|sneaking>help ragequit

Skill Ragequit                               (Manipulation)

The skill of manipulating one's opponents through pathos, one of the three modes of persuasion, is called ragequit. It is a vital skill for characters lacking self confidence, and many jaded and bitter players may eventually learn the skill as well.

Though quite useful when used against characters of low wisdom, the skill proves less than satisfactory against characters with higher wisdom rolls. This is likely due to the fact that without first establishing ethos first, your character opens themselves up to being reamed with logic and reason.

Note:
   This skill is automatic for those that have the ability (e.g., those of the guild_inexperienced_newb or disgruntled_gamer).

See also:
   barter, haggle

HEH! LMAO!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Jingo on February 13, 2009, 09:55:39 PM
QuoteSkill Ragequit
::) Meh, edit for snarkiness. I think this is just uncalled for.

Here is is just a random idea. Make it mandatory for players to write a short pk report after a kill. All it needs to detail is the reason and means of execution.

This way, players will be encouraged to think out their character's motivation and methods of killing. And staff will have a better way of monitoring players who do pkill.

Or people could stop bitching and trying to turn Zalanthas into HappyFunLand.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

February 14, 2009, 12:21:02 AM #27 Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:32:00 AM by Jingo
I'm not saying pk less, or even to stop being mean. Really, all I'm saying that certain types of pk deaths just plain suck.

But yeah, bitching is going to happen so long as we have the game enviroment that we do. Hell, people are still going to bitch even if it is HappyFunLand.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Armageddon is cruel. I, as a player, have no responsibility to be nice to you and, given my personality, probably won't.

If you don't like this, you have two options.

1) Go play another MUD.

2) Grow some balls.

Good luck.

Quote from: manonfire on February 14, 2009, 12:31:11 AM
Armageddon is cruel. I, as a player, have no responsibility to be nice to you and, given my personality, probably won't.

i beg to differ, old buddy. As players we have a responsibility to be nice to each other. As characters, however, we actually have an obligation to be dicks.

Quote from: Agent_137 on February 14, 2009, 01:06:47 AM

i beg to differ, old buddy. As players we have a responsibility to be nice to each other. As characters, however, we actually have an obligation to be dicks.

My context was IG, you fuckin' sweetheart.  :-*

1) Go play another MUD.

2) Grow some balls.

Good luck.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

1) Go play another MUD.

2) Grow some balls.

Good luck.

I like you.

February 14, 2009, 01:36:33 AM #33 Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:43:43 AM by Majikal
Not sure what ruffled the OP's feathers but these ragequit whining posts are seeming far to common nowadays, especially over the concerns of raiding/pk. I think any longtime player has experienced a good handful of deaths that didn't offer much but your shocked amazement and a good 5 min of staring at your screen in disbeleif. One emote? Hell, kudos to that player for giving you that at least. NPC's have no trouble eating faces on a regular basis, and 90% of them don't offer much but coded commands. Your death could have been 'an arrow flies in from the west and beep' or the good old 'someone utters an incantation' and mantis head.

Move on and continue playing, toughened up by the realization that people might just kick your ass for little to no reason (at least from your perception of things)
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Dakurus' post said it well.  Emote != roleplay is too often taken out of context.

I do remember when I killed a new player in what seemed (to him and his character) like a bolt out of the blue.  He posted on the GDB saying he was going to quit and was fed up.

I IMMed him and gave him a little background.  It helped him.  I hope he is still playing.

Maybe the guy that killed your beloved PC was RPing and you had no knowledge of it.  I hope that he contacts you and tries to explain a bit of his motivation as it may well help you understand why it went down like it did.

The difficult part of being on the wrong side of a blade is not having an explanations.  This is, in one way, how Arm is like RL.  Death comes when it comes and there is not resisting, no explaining and nothing but the utter blackness (well, outside of the mantis head, anyway).

Hope you come back.  I hope you come back a well-played murderer or bandit.

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 14, 2009, 01:22:43 AM

1) Go play another MUD.

2) Grow some balls.

Good luck.

I like you.

Waiting for the darkness is all I can do.

It's all I can do.

Not at any of the OP's in particular, but these "feck this shit, I'm leaving" threads are starting to get pretty damn annoying.
At least put them into one thread so they aren't so spammy...please?

As to this OP's genuine concern... I have made done two PKs the whole time I have played, once when I was a really new nOOb, I killed a link dead player for loot.
The other, which was completely IC I emailed the mud and unclanned staff about, even though I had had no prior contact with any staff for that PC.
It is something, I think we should do, because it covers out asses if we get a player complaint filed.
I am pretty sure it is a mandatory OOC rule for most clans, though.  If not, it should be due to the fact that everything you do IG reflects back on your clan.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: SMuz on February 13, 2009, 10:12:24 PM
Kill 1: Bitch was annoying.
Kill 2: Nice boots.
Kill 3: He tried to steal my rotten kalan fruit.
Kill 4: He looked like he had a lot of money.
Kill 6: He was cheating on me.

I've never seen a PK without a semi-decent reason. In fact, the more important the reason, (3, 4, 7, 8 ), the less emoting there'd be.

This irks me a bit. Why would you go straight to killing in these situations? Hopefully you had no other choice. Killing pcs for these reasons!= furthering your storyline. All of these kills would be bettering the game if they were at the end of a storyline for both of your characters, not the first interaction.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Actually SMuz, I have to agree.  "Kill 1: Bitch was annoying" sounds like a griefer justification to me.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: SMuz on February 13, 2009, 10:12:24 PM
Kill 1: Bitch was annoying. being annoying and costing me business by running her mouth.
Kill 2: Nice boots.
Kill 3: He tried to steal my rotten kalan fruit.
Kill 4: He looked like he had a lot of money.
Kill 6: He was cheating on me.

I've never seen a PK without a semi-decent reason. In fact, the more important the reason, (3, 4, 7, 8 ), the less emoting there'd be.
It just needs a more specific modifier ;)
Grebber - One who grebs.

That didn't fix it for me. It made it better. There are better ways to handle the situation.

Read number five in the below article.

http://www.mediate.com/articles/jordan.cfm
> forage artifacts

Nice article. But as the article mentions, stage 5 is a buildup from stage 4, which is a buildup from stage 3, etc. Very very rarely would you go from a little argument and bantering to a full-blown, "You're the Dragon incarnate!" mentality.

Killing someone for any of those reasons may generate some plot, but cuts it far short of what it could have been. Revenge is sweet when the person actually sees his life spiralling out beyond his control. Sees his doom coming, and can't do a thing about it. And -knows- who's pulling the strings, just can't find a way to beat his adversary. Just killing the person is the easy end to revenge.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

I agree that we need to create the best plots possible.  I agree that we should make any death scene as RP-erific as possible.

But ... uh ...

You know, in "RL," when you wander down the wrong inner-city alley or piss off the wrong gang, they generally don't slowly lead you through the stages of conflict while smugly enjoying your misery as your life unravels. 

They shoot your ass.

When I was in London last summer, the papers were in a frenzy of coverage over knife attacks (a bit overblown, it seemed to me).  In one case, a lad who'd made some enemies was walking down a very public London street.  Someone in the crowd walked up to him and slammed a knife into his chest and walked away.  The kid died right there on the street in front of a huge crowd of strangers.  Another story with wide coverage while I was there was a knifing in a bar.  Some angry words were exchanged between some kids that didn't really know each other.  Someone stepped between them to settle down the confrontation and they got a knife in their stomach and died.

Satisfying? No.  But you know, asshole thugs and murderers aren't generally aiming for "satisfying" for the people that they thoughtlessly kill.

"Twinkers" who just putter around the game looking to gank people add very little to this game.  It's true.  But the belief that players should slowly escalate conflict and never resort to killing first doesn't jive with me at all.  Also, if I hire someone IC to kill you, it's my hope that they do it so fast that neither you nor their friends see it coming, know what happens, or can ever trace it to me.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

from what I have seen from these type complaints in the past...
If you kill with little RP--as far as the killee is concerned--they will complain.
If you RP for a while, before you kill, kille wil spam-run-away and the would be killer will complain.

You can't make everyone happy.
Grebber - One who grebs.

That is a valid point, IRL, when the point isn't to have a good time roleplaying with other characters. So why would we do the same in a game we play to have fun?

What plot is created by killing someone in an alleyway so only two people know about it when the goal is only to get their boots?

Always give the player the benefit of the doubt. It may not work most of the time, but the next time those insta fleeers/killers pop up, just wipe them out. If they do play along, you just created an awesome scene. With people going instantly to kill, we are making would be victims go instantly to flee. What kind of game is that?
> forage artifacts

Good point, Delstro.  If you want their boots, why kill them for it?  It creates no plot and adds nothing to the game, just to your character... so the only reason to kill for kewl loot is because you're trying to win.  If you're trying to make the game better, mug them instead.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

February 14, 2009, 11:52:01 AM #46 Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:00:50 PM by SMuz
It appears that the thread has been derailed slightly. But I'm sure the OP would be proud of the resulting debate, so let's go on :P

Hmm.. since when was killing about furthering the storyline? It is the harsh world I remember, is it not? Every time someone complains, a staff member or experienced player actually copies the part where players are allowed to be unfair. If PK-ing someone is the quickest and easiest way to achieve an IC goal, then it should be reasonable enough.

That said, I was partly kidding ;) Didn't want to get into it in detail, but there's a huge range of being annoying.. and most of it is just plain stupidity. Annoying includes going around twink-killing, disobeying orders, picking a fight with a soldier in front of a templar, hitting random people in bars is annoying. As far as I've seen, all have received a fair warning and 'fine' for their behavior, and they go on doing it after multiple warnings and threats, assuming that the PCs won't carry on with the death threats. It's incredibly foolish to think that you could stick your tongue out at a templar or a 'rinthi gang member, insult them several times afterwards, resist arrest, and live.

Also, robbery and countering theft is not often an intended kill - but if the other PC starts being a twink, trying to spam run without any RP, it will escalate from a simple mugging to a kill. Without RP. And stealing is enough reason for a NPC - why shouldn't that apply to a PC? I've seen a thief that was about to be spared, but he started resisting arrest too and that pissed off everyone enough that even an animated NPC put a small bounty on his head.

Almost every player kill I've made was a result of someone who was only about to be beat up and tossed into an alley (alive), with a lot of RP. But that guy decided to be a jerk about it and flee, leaving the character no choice but to chase and kill. In Allanak, you will be killed in public, in Tuluk, someone will randomly attack you out of nowhere. So, there. There's always a reason behind a kill. Do you want me to go into more detail? ;)

In my experience, twink killers die very, very quickly. Though unfortunately, it takes a few innocent newbies to become the matyrs that will get the psychopath killed. To the original poster, rest assured knowing that your death will be happily avenged  ;D
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

This derail wasn't aimed at you Smuz, it was aimed at what has been the overall experience for me when dealing with everyday happenings. In my experiences, most people start at the most instantly interesting level (Killing someone) and work their way down the show of forces. Though killing someone is the most interesting in the short term, it is almost always the least interesting in the long run. Food for thought.
> forage artifacts

Smuz, this game is about furthering the storyline, not winning.

Quote from: spawnloser on February 14, 2009, 12:05:20 PM
Smuz, this game is about furthering the storyline, not winning.

I know this is opening a whole new can of worms, but I think that to some extent that's up for debate. It's an assumption that many players go on, but I've never really seen it stated anywhere explicitly that anything of that sort is true. The game policies are really schizophrenic regarding that, and often I think encourage players to 'win' more than to tell stories.

I do think that believing the game is about creating a story will improve your personal relationship with it dramatically though, and I think that nine out of ten times when people quit it's because of miscommunication, and failing to give the other player the benefit of the doubt.  In most games you can get beat without assuming everyone hates you, and you certainly don't throw away books when a favorite character dies.  That separation of ic/ooc seems to really create some bad assumptions about the intent of others, so you really have to watch your own attitude and assumptions.

I find that playing a character with flaws that I'm aware of and fabricate helps, that way when people exploit those flaws I can grin and keep up the scene.  It's when I try to play "perfect" characters that I get all whiny when they die, because then it's my mistakes that are getting them in trouble.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."