I'm done.

Started by deconstruct99, February 13, 2009, 06:33:44 PM

February 13, 2009, 06:33:44 PM Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:38:55 PM by deconstruct99
So since everytime I make a good character that I enjoy, some twinked out asshole kills me with the extent of his roleplaying being one weak ass emote, I am done...I need like a 6 month break from this utter bullshit. Not to mention I made the fucking guy today and had a total of two fucking hours on him before some dickless wonder decided to flex his awsome game powers. Yes, I am addicted and will be back but some days I hate this piece of shit game with all my heart. Seriously, you fucking loser, I didn't even have anything valuable on me.
Quote from: Tarx on April 13, 2008, 11:43:02 PM
The longer a PC lives, the more likely they will die to something stupid.

-ginka's law

Oh god, I understand. Sometimes... a break is just.... utterly and totally warranted. I had one PC that I fell in love with. When she died, I wound up storing like 6 after her, just unable to get into them at all, then I left for a few months. But I couldn't be happier to be back. I hope you get a good break and get back here soon.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Oh, I'll come back. it just really ticks me off that people think this is a PvP server on WoW and have no consideration for their fellow players. I'd file a complaint but it wont bring the character back and it wont stop the piece of shit who did it from continuing his shitty god-complex playing style. So yeah....I just need a break to cool down from some of you worthless fucking wastes of life.

-ginka's law

Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/overview.htmlIn the world of Zalanthas, several things are key:

* One, roleplaying is central to the environment and is not considered an option by the creators of the world. It is a requirement. If you do not want to roleplay, this is not the game for you.
    * Two, life is hard. There are no free lunches on Zalanthas. There aren't even free drinks of water. It is likely that you will die, and if you are unlucky or unintelligent you will die very fast. Only the fittest live long enough to retire in comfort at the end of their careers.
    * Three, sometimes people are nasty. There are no rules against being mean to others that you meet, be it cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise making a fool out of them as long as the meanness is in-character (IC).
    * Four, complaints of unfairness on the part of other players will not be given an audience. If you think another character was mean to you, you're most likely right.

Relevant portions emboldened.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 13, 2009, 06:56:58 PM
Quote from: http://www.armageddon.org/intro/overview.htmlIn the world of Zalanthas, several things are key:

* One, roleplaying is central to the environment and is not considered an option by the creators of the world. It is a requirement. If you do not want to roleplay, this is not the game for you.
    * Two, life is hard. There are no free lunches on Zalanthas. There aren't even free drinks of water. It is likely that you will die, and if you are unlucky or unintelligent you will die very fast. Only the fittest live long enough to retire in comfort at the end of their careers.
    * Three, sometimes people are nasty. There are no rules against being mean to others that you meet, be it cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise making a fool out of them as long as the meanness is in-character (IC).
    * Four, complaints of unfairness on the part of other players will not be given an audience. If you think another character was mean to you, you're most likely right.

-ginka's law

Emote != roleplay

Quote from: Synthesis on February 13, 2009, 07:06:55 PM
Emote != roleplay

Regardless of the fact that this specific line has been said many times, in many ways stating it alone, is leaving it out of context.
There are high expectations of the playerbase to play robust visible characters through the use of the tools we provide them in game, both for their benefit and the characters around them. This helps set the background and bring the story to life which is so important to the livelihood of the game. While the combat code is a well used, and reliable part of the game, and is also fun for a majority of the playerbase, it's merely part of the toolset that allows one's character to act and react, when properly motivated by thoughts, feelings, bios, emotes, and IC interactions. So, while in theory, you can have the axe murderer who sits in his rinth shack, thinking, feeling, and emoting, then with that background, as soon as he sees another character he attacks using only the combat code to final resolution, that's not much of a story for one of the parties involved. The same can be said for a raider group, who roleplay all day long when they are home in their cave, or with each other, but as soon as their prey walks into the trap, it's combat. Do I think the target should know the motivations, or even much about who the killers are, or their motivation, no, not likely. But repeated behavior of this sort in my personal opinion is frowned upon. To somehow enable more of the world to understand one's character and it's motivations is a crime against the game and the story, let alone one's fellow players. There's lots of tools in the toolset to help convey these, that I've remarked on above, plus others such as rumor boards, or honestly, even an email to the mud account with some thoughtful additions that might be forwarded to the victim that they might have noticed had you chosen to express them rather then rely only on the combat code in the end. Though death usually isn't very fun, it may help give a more fufilling conclusion to the story of that character for that player.

PS. I have no idea what happened in this particular case. Zalanthas is a harsh world with harsh people. You very likely will still end up dead, which is never very fufilling, but it would be a slight postive to have a more concrete feeling your death advanced the story, and it wasn't just to raise someone's skill, and that they respect your addition enough to spend some time on acknowledging your sacrifice to the story as well.

I have no idea what happened either.

The OP's only specific gripe was "he only emoted one time before killing me."

I'm sorry, but that's not the basis for a legitimate gripe.  I know perfectly well what the context for "emote != RP" is, and the OP probably does as well.  I suspect he's heard it before.

Furthermore, being a bastard or a murderer has an entirely different context on Zalanthas.  The modern-day "psycho axe-murderer" analogy simply doesn't work in a world where life is cheap and very few people give a fuck whether you live or you die.

Sorry, but his part in this story was to die.  If you get butt-hurt about dying, boy is this the WRONG game for you.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 13, 2009, 07:51:13 PM
stuff

It sucks a big fat toe at times, but he's right.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I will sacrifice all of your PCs to further -MY- story!
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

I wish someone would randomly try to PK me. I've always had to wait for a RP excuse to PK someone :(

Are you playing outside the "safe zones"? By that, I mean the desert, 'rinth, UT. All of them are definitely PK zones :P

Enjoy the deaths, though. Yeah, take a break, get pissed off, yell swear words at the screen. You'll be back, as soon as you get a good character concept.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

February 13, 2009, 08:27:53 PM #13 Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:33:31 PM by Reiloth
Quote from: SMuz on February 13, 2009, 08:10:53 PM
I wish someone would randomly try to PK me. I've always had to wait for a RP excuse to PK someone :(

Are you playing outside the "safe zones"? By that, I mean the desert, 'rinth, UT. All of them are definitely PK zones :P

Enjoy the deaths, though. Yeah, take a break, get pissed off, yell swear words at the screen. You'll be back, as soon as you get a good character concept.

The entire "known world" is a PK zone.

Treat your character like it is your last, and you might be surprised at how few situations you put him/her in that are life-threatening, even remotely.

About three or four months ago, I was in Portland, Oregon. One might consider this city, compared to say, Los Angeles, where I live, much 'safer'. Still -- Perhaps due to growing up in Los Angeles and consciously thinking about these kind of things -- I found myself walking down a very dark street, in a part of town I was not familiar with, and could not help but think "Is this dangerous?". I was drunk, out of sorts, alone, and in a city I was unfamiliar with. Who is to say I was not walking down into some notorious gang's turf? In Los Angeles -- You'd be surprised at how quickly you can walk from a very nice part of town into a very, very nasty part of town.

In Armageddon -- Unless I am playing the character who is naive, oblivious, and not world-worthy -- I imagine all of my characters have this intense desire to live. The enviroment, the cities, the desert, the weather -- Everything is stacked against you. There is a different between 'caution' and being a hermit -- Never taking risks. Risks are what propel the game forward. The characters I have played that have not taken risks daily end up being terribly boring. The question is -- Are you -knowing- that you are taking a risk? Are you aware, constantly, of who is holding their cards close to their chest? Are you constantly questioning even years-old friendships every step of the way? If not -- You will die, and you will not see it coming.

Consciously thinking about these sort of things -- Who you trust, ulterior motives, intentions of other people in the world -- Will truly give you some insight in how to truly live in Zalanthas. As synthesis said -- Life is cheap in Zalanthas. People do not care if you live or die -- Likely, they will not remember you after you are dead. If life is cheap -- Then your riches are found in living.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

A bit of the game dies everytime some dude types a pop-up emote and then insta-gibs you. It fucking sucks. Have it happen to your characters, a few times in a row and I'll bet you'll be "butthurt" too.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on February 13, 2009, 08:52:37 PM
A bit of the game dies everytime some dude types a pop-up emote and then insta-gibs you. It fucking sucks. Have it happen to your characters, a few times in a row and I'll bet you'll be "butthurt" too.

I've been instagibbed by all sorts of situations.  Sure, I was a little pissed, but no more pissed than the times a templar took 30 minutes of emoting to kill me.

A mek killed a buddy of mine without emoting :P
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: deconstruct99 on February 13, 2009, 07:05:21 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 13, 2009, 06:56:58 PM

Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

February 13, 2009, 09:37:37 PM #18 Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:47:24 PM by Lakota
Amos|104|78|100|armed|sneaking>help ragequit

Skill Ragequit                               (Manipulation)

The skill of manipulating one's opponents through pathos, one of the three modes of persuasion, is called ragequit. It is a vital skill for characters lacking self confidence, and many jaded and bitter players may eventually learn the skill as well.

Though quite useful when used against characters of low wisdom, the skill proves less than satisfactory against characters with higher wisdom rolls. This is likely due to the fact that without first establishing ethos, your character opens themselves up to being reamed with logic and reason.

Note:
   This skill is automatic for those that have the ability (e.g., those of the guild_inexperienced_newb or disgruntled_gamer).

See also:
   barter, haggle

February 13, 2009, 09:40:02 PM #19 Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:42:36 PM by Morrolan
This thread is why, among other reasons, complaints about player behavior should go directly to the request tool for the staff to deal with.

Morrolan

P.S. How 'bout someone write up skill_flame?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Lakota on February 13, 2009, 09:37:37 PM
Amos|104|78|100|armed|sneaking>help ragequit

Skill Ragequit                               (Manipulation)

The skill of manipulating one's opponents through pathos, one of the three modes of persuasion, is called ragequit. It is a vital skill for characters lacking self confidence, and many jaded and bitter players may eventually learn the skill as well.

Though quite useful when used against characters of low wisdom, the skill proves less than satisfactory against characters with higher wisdom rolls. This is likely due to the fact that without first establishing ethos first, your character opens themselves up to being reamed with logic and reason.

Note:
   This skill is automatic for those that have the ability (e.g., those of the guild_inexperienced_newb or disgruntled_gamer).

See also:
   barter, haggle

This needs to be saved in the archives!
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

February 13, 2009, 09:55:39 PM #21 Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:01:38 PM by Jingo
QuoteSkill Ragequit
::) Meh, edit for snarkiness. I think this is just uncalled for.

Here is is just a random idea. Make it mandatory for players to write a short pk report after a kill. All it needs to detail is the reason and means of execution.

This way, players will be encouraged to think out their character's motivation and methods of killing. And staff will have a better way of monitoring players who do pkill.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

February 13, 2009, 10:12:24 PM #22 Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:15:15 PM by SMuz
Kill 1: Bitch was annoying.
Kill 2: Nice boots.
Kill 3: He tried to steal my rotten kalan fruit.
Kill 4: He looked like he had a lot of money.
Kill 5: She was a witch. Had it coming.
Kill 6: He was cheating on me.
Kill 7: Stupid templar sentenced my best friend to the arena.
Kill 8: Byn Lieutenant paid me three small to off him for deserting.

I've never seen a PK without a semi-decent reason. In fact, the more important the reason, (3, 4, 7, 8 ), the less emoting there'd be.

Quote from: Jingo on February 13, 2009, 09:55:39 PM
QuoteSkill Ragequit
::) Meh, edit for snarkiness. I think this is just uncalled for.

Here is is just a random idea. Make it mandatory for players to write a short pk report after a kill. All it needs to detail is the reason and means of execution.

This way, players will be encouraged to think out their character's motivation and methods of killing. And staff will have a better way of monitoring players who do pkill.

Sure, so long as you don't force me to fill out one for every single pc...each motive should be enough. For example, if I were to kill 23pcs, for the same reason, I would only have to fill out the one report. I mean, 23 would be redundant, right?

There's an avenue available to those who feel wronged, it's called complaint.  If you feel it's warranted, go to town.  If the pk had an ooc motivation I'm sure the imms will deal with it, there are logs after all.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: SMuz on February 13, 2009, 10:12:24 PM
Kill 1: Bitch was annoying.
Kill 2: Nice boots. Had it coming.
Kill 3: He tried to steal my rotten kalan fruit. Had it coming.
Kill 4: He looked like he had a lot of money. Had it coming.
Kill 5: She was a witch. Had it coming.
Kill 6: He was cheating on me. Had it coming.
Kill 7: Stupid templar sentenced my best friend to the arena. Had it coming.
Kill 8: Byn Lieutenant paid me three small to off him for deserting. Had it coming.

There's my PK report :P