Cotton Pickin'

Started by Vanth, February 12, 2009, 12:15:16 AM

February 12, 2009, 12:15:16 AM Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:30:48 AM by Vanth
You can now pick cotton as a resource-gathering job in Tuluk. 

The Dasari cotton fields are located west of the Plains Gate.  Do not go into the cotton fields unless you plan to pick cotton.  You must pick a minimum amount of cotton for Dasari before you can leave, and you will be paid for all the cotton you pick for them.  Just as with the clay digging job, you will need an empty container to put the cotton in.  Cotton picking pays somewhat better than clay digging (I will probably be adjusting the pay for clay digging soon, so they'll be about equal).

However, once you have picked the minimal amount of cotton bolls for Dasari, you can keep some for yourself.

"Vanth, why would I want cotton bolls?" you ask.  Well, maybe you want to comb out the cotton, and then spin it into yarn, and then weave it into cloth, and then either bleach it or dye it, or just make some clothes out of the natural, uncolored fabric.

Tools for spinning and weaving can be found on an NPC nearby.

Enjoy!

*This project began with Laeris in 2003 or maybe earlier.  During its long gestation it has been worked on by a number of staff members without whom it would not be possible.  Kudos go to Laeris, Vendyra, Ashyom, myself, Nyr (for helping me test) and Morgenes (because I am a scripting idiot, and he is a scripting god).

Discussion of this topic is here.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

To help with your emotes, here is what a hand spindle looks like, and there is also a link to an instructional video:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,,DIY_14141_3447395,00.html

Here is a handloom larger than one you'd find in Armageddon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPG7252dD0E
And here is a picture of how that would scale down smaller: http://www.vintageprojects.com/kids/kids-loom.html

I also updated the clay buyer to pay somewhat better.  Also, the clay buyer now operates on 'offer' rather than 'give.'

I've added a new (old/unadded) script to the guard at the cotton fields.

The way this should work now:

--You enter the fields.
--You can pick cotton by foraging it.
--You can sell this cotton to the cotton buyer just inside the gates by offering it to the buyer (in a container, of course).  The buyer will now tell you how many bolls you need to have before he'll buy.
--If you want to leave the fields without selling your cotton, you are taxed for the cotton you take out with you.  This is done automatically upon leaving the fields.  If you do not have enough 'sid, you will not be able to leave (forcing you to either junk or sell the cotton before you can leave).

--In summary, you can leave whenever you want as long as you have no cotton in your inventory.  If you do have cotton on you, Dasari expects you to pay a tax.

Good luck, let me know if there are any problems.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.