Neutrality anybody?

Started by alicedavignon, February 10, 2009, 06:08:57 PM

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 06:37:27 PM
What character development if you see another person for 5 minutes daily. I could just as well hold a monologue.

And what would you do within the city? Sit around Gaj and act like you're having fun?

There have been a lot of threads on how to have fun, how to connect with other PCs, how to get into plots. Look some of those up. In a nutshell:

-- Perform your PC's job
-- Hang out with other PCs
-- Play your PC like s/he is a real person

Also oft-said around here: "Boring people are bored."
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

It helps to have a positive overall outlook, first of all. Dismissing helpful ideas doesn't exactly help. There's fun things to do at the Gaj, or anywhere else. I can understand if you're mainly playing offpeak, but if you're playing as you're posting you shouldn't have a problem with finding player interaction in one of the two major cities.

Secondly, there's plenty of city-based clans. Join one that you observe has several members in your city and you'll find there is plenty to do. And as Is Friday said, you have to wait and be patient for the exciting stuff to come. If exciting stuff happened all the time, then the game wouldn't be special for what it is.

Quote from: Is Friday on February 10, 2009, 06:39:48 PM
When I first starting and someone was telling me about the game in order to educate me on how to play:

QuoteArmageddon isn't fun all of the time. In fact, most times it's boring, and you have to make your own fun, occupying yourself with your own creativity. The times that are fun and exciting are beyond any kind of fun or excitement you've had in other games. If it were another way, it would take away from the experience of the exciting times actually being exciting.

This is like saying that you should eat only one meal daily, because you're going to enjoy it the most.

I agree with you on the fact that there are fun moments, but to be honest, I've only had about one since joining. Most of the time I just wander around looking at what to do with my character. Maybe I'm missing some vital detail, but sitting around a virtual tavern isn't fun. Hunting is fun, but then comes one loose war beetle and off if your character. Have fun writing another essay and hope that your character won't be generated as a complete wimp!

Guess it's just me, but isn't playing in a virtual world supposed to be about immersion and experiences that you otherwise wouldn't acquire in real life? Sure, running around and hunting jozhal is fun. Clearing out dungeons of tentacle monsters is fun. Sitting in a tavern? Meh, I could just as well go down the street and have Gaj on steroids, with music, real drinks and a better brawling system.

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 06:48:44 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on February 10, 2009, 06:39:48 PM
When I first starting and someone was telling me about the game in order to educate me on how to play:

QuoteArmageddon isn't fun all of the time. In fact, most times it's boring, and you have to make your own fun, occupying yourself with your own creativity. The times that are fun and exciting are beyond any kind of fun or excitement you've had in other games. If it were another way, it would take away from the experience of the exciting times actually being exciting.

This is like saying that you should eat only one meal daily, because you're going to enjoy it the most.

I agree with you on the fact that there are fun moments, but to be honest, I've only had about one since joining. Most of the time I just wander around looking at what to do with my character. Maybe I'm missing some vital detail, but sitting around a virtual tavern isn't fun. Hunting is fun, but then comes one loose war beetle and off if your character. Have fun writing another essay and hope that your character won't be generated as a complete wimp!

Guess it's just me, but isn't playing in a virtual world supposed to be about immersion and experiences that you otherwise wouldn't acquire in real life? Sure, running around and hunting jozhal is fun. Clearing out dungeons of tentacle monsters is fun. Sitting in a tavern? Meh, I could just as well go down the street and have Gaj on steroids, with music, real drinks and a better brawling system.

You don't have to go to bars.

Hell, most of my characters just tool around the desert, kill stuff, and drink.

Actually, I think what Cutthroat is saying is more like "Not every meal is dessert. But you don't stop eating just because it's not all dessert."

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 10, 2009, 06:56:41 PM
Actually, I think what Cutthroat is saying is more like "Not every meal is dessert. But you don't stop eating just because it's not all dessert."

Food is, coincidentally, more addictive than methamphetamine.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 10, 2009, 06:56:41 PM
She quoted me, damn it. Where's my forum kudos?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 06:48:44 PM

I've once helped rebuild a clan from pretty much non existance. It was very fun thing to do, but do you know how it began? It began with me spending quiet a few rl days, just sitting still in a place, 'hoping' people that fit a certain criteria would come by. Sometimes havent had anyone to talk to for a day (but that was a unique area) Waiting is part of it, really. But often ... rewards for your patience is significant.

You wanna play a tough, super assassin? Half the job of being an assassin is waaaaiting for the right opportunity or in ambush.

From my observaitons, two thirds of a noble's gameplay revolves around waiting.

So yar ... waiting happens, tavern sitting ... happens. My advice, dont join the clan 'right' this moment, and just sit tight and watch for atleast a few rl days. See which clans are booming, which clans have leaders that strike shit up. Even if it revolves on nothing, but run of the mill drunkfest, insult flinging, or brawling. And once you see that the clan is full of people (you dont even have to like them), join it. Once you join it ... learn.

They'll teach you a lot of things, not just codedly, but  also a lot of methods and ways to survive. This way, if you'll want to play a loner adventurer type on your next character, you'll be able to as your next character, without being suprised if a scrab bashes you.

Also, being in a clan with only one member does not mean you're limited to them. Granted, the amount of things you learn and the plots that are made 'for' you is lower. But you do not have to revolve around them only, make your own fun. Piss on elves, insult bynners. If you die ... atleast you'll die to a pc.

Quote from: Yam on February 10, 2009, 06:53:18 PM

You don't have to go to bars.

Hell, most of my characters just tool around the desert, kill stuff, and drink.

I do that as well. For about an hour or two before some war beetle shows up and pretty much instantly kills you.

QuoteActually, I think what Cutthroat is saying is more like "Not every meal is dessert. But you don't stop eating just because it's not all dessert."

We could go on with allegories forever, like saying "Not every meal is a dessert; but why would you eat bowl of three-day-old stew just in case there's a cherry inside?". I'm not arguing against anything here, but this is either incredibly boring or over a little too fast. I'm curious about what exactly you, other players, do in-between the legendary cherries?

If you've been trying out a bunch of hunters around Allanak, try something else!  Solo hunting around Allanak is always going to be a high risk proposition, especially as a new player. The area around Tuluk may be easier, starting out, if hunting is your thing.

Also, you could do a lot worse than starting a new character in Luir's over the next week or two. Getting to play during the RPT there will probably be an experience like you haven't seen before in this game.  At an RPT like those, you probably can't swing a dead quirri without hitting someone to interact with.  (No affiliation with Kurac here, and I don't know if they'll be having a dead quirri swinging event.  ;) )

Don't get too discouraged!  Things get easier when you get a better sense of risky behavior.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

You shouldn't be surprised that beasts 2-3x's your character's size/weight bite you into little bits when your character starts with nearly no coded experience in fighting. (Unfortunately, that's the way Armageddon works if you do not special app asking for boosts.) If you want to play a character that is adept in the ways of the desert, you have to learn IC, not just "expect" your character to know.

Join the Byn with one of your characters and find the answers to your questions IC.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 07:09:15 PM
I'm curious about what exactly you, other players, do in-between the legendary cherries?

Depends on a character. Some of mine ... were slow for about one or two weeks. Then they had to barrier up just to get a moment's peace from all sorts of different plots and interaction.  But first weeks are slow and difficult usually. Not all that immersed in the character, nobody knows you, nobody knows that they need you. But once you survive some time, it'll get better. Joining a clan helps.

February 10, 2009, 07:18:13 PM #37 Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:20:44 PM by Thunkkin
Ok, I had decided to take a break from posting ... but ... can't resist! :D

Alice, if you have not tried the following, I highly suggest it:

1) Make a human warrior
2) Start in Allanak with a low-class, gritty background
3) Save 300 of your starting coins for the Byn fee
4) Join the Byn
5) Do not enter the 'rinth, leave the city without permission, or attack any npc/PC without being ordered to
EDIT: Pay attention to and follow the daily schedule.  This will not only give you something to do, but you'll probably have someone else to do it with.

The above experience will:
1) Teach you the ins and outs of combat - you'll be surprised at what you will learn OOCly and your character will become ICly skilled enough to handle combat that your newbie characters will get creamed by
2) Teach you to enjoy RPing non-coded activities, such as cleaning the latrines, complaining about stew, or whatever else it is that Bynners do
3) Allow you to see some cool places and events with a strong leader at the helm.  These events won't happen all the time, but they're worth it and loads of fun.
4) Introduce you to a variety of people and personalities who will hopefully entertain you

If you don't have fun, you may need to try something radically different ... but if you don't like tavern RP (a "social" role) and you don't like the Byn or military life, that leaves you pretty much with wandering the wastes alone.  This is a fun activity and some people do it.  The learning curve, however, is steep and you will go through many, many, many characters if you do not learn within a guided setting such as the Byn, etc.  Start with a military, city-based clan.  From there, you will learn the ins and outs of the code and you will be introduced to a variety of ways to have fun.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Please do what Thunkkin said. Yes.

February 10, 2009, 07:21:03 PM #39 Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:24:03 PM by alicedavignon
Quote from: Is Friday on February 10, 2009, 07:12:48 PM
Join the Byn with one of your characters and find the answers to your questions IC.

That's what I was told when I first posted on these boards. Sure, there were a couple of other people around, but apart from bashing your heads in occasionally, it was the same, exact thing. Sit around, talk a little, beat somebody up/get beaten up in the ring, repeat. You're not telling me that this is all you do all the time, except an occasional even once every so often?

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 06:29:10 PM
This is just dumb. I'm not writing a 4th pointless background story and another description within 48 hours.

You know, I would not invest a lot of energy in the backgrounds of your first few characters.  Partly because, well, you're killin' 'em off pretty quick, and partly because it's tough to get the details right about parts of the game you haven't experienced.  Backgrounds you write now will amuse you in a year.  Throw out five lines of text, call it good, and backfill when you start surviving.

Beyond that, two things to be aware of:
- It is extremely difficult to survive in the wilderness south of Luir's Outpost (i.e. Allanak and Red Storm).  A lot of players don't really attempt it.  If you want to learn how, find someone from the Helper list who posts regularly and pester him for tips.
- Getting picked on by templars is almost entirely avoidable, but the shift in attitude from Free Western Society to Brutal Oppression hangs many of us up at first.  Watch how people who do thrive in the cities behave, and copy them.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

February 10, 2009, 07:22:11 PM #41 Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:25:34 PM by Is Friday
Since I've had some notoriously awesome character beginnings, here's some advice for spicing up your character's life:

Take risks socially, and play by your character's documented bias and prejudice, instead of being an exception or indifferent. Hate elves, dwarves, think half-giants smell bad, start a bar-fight with a half-elf, (or a human if you're one of the above,) call someone something dicey as a matter-of-fact or casually in conversation. These sort of things. You aren't going to have a very exciting game to play if you don't engage yourself into the wonderfully brutal social environment, and instead just grinding against the npc's.

edit:

Furthermore, have goals for your character that you can pursue on a low-risk tier. In effect, take up painting, singing, crafting (of whatever you have the coded skills for,) et cetera. Flesh out your PCs to have more to do, not just to have done a lot in their background.

I currently play a character that does not fight/spar IC'ly at all, and I leave that completely up to the 'virtual' aspect of when I log off, (since my character is a soldier of some sort.) I have tons of fun, but it's all about the 'creating goals for yourself' aspect.

alice, play in the rinth. Danger, excitement, fun. Death. No better place in all of Zalanthas.

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 10, 2009, 07:23:31 PM
alice, play in the rinth. Danger, excitement, fun. Death. No better place in all of Zalanthas.

Shame on you. :)

Quote from: Dar on February 10, 2009, 07:24:42 PM

I was serious. No way she'll be bored there.

Quote from: flurry on February 10, 2009, 07:12:11 PM
Also, you could do a lot worse than starting a new character in Luir's over the next week or two. Getting to play during the RPT there will probably be an experience like you haven't seen before in this game.  At an RPT like those, you probably can't swing a dead quirri without hitting someone to interact with.

That's an excellent idea.  (See: announcement.)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: spicemustflow on February 10, 2009, 07:25:44 PM

That's the war beetle-length excitement, right?

I thought they were supposed to be neutral too, but gank a few /really/ long-lived (yet ill-prepared) characters and see what happens.

Play in Tuluk. Play human. Trust me, fun shows up pretty quickly there.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 07:29:34 PM
Quote from: spicemustflow on February 10, 2009, 07:25:44 PM

That's the war beetle-length excitement, right?

Depends on you. It's a school of life, much like the Byn, but without stifling schedules and boring sparring. You'll learn the dangers of overestimating the abilities of your char quickly. Think what would you do if transported to a Parisian ghetto with car burning gangs all around you and you'll live.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on February 10, 2009, 07:32:12 PM
I thought they were supposed to be neutral too, but gank a few /really/ long-lived (yet ill-prepared) characters and see what happens.

What happens?