Neutrality anybody?

Started by alicedavignon, February 10, 2009, 06:08:57 PM

February 10, 2009, 06:08:57 PM Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 06:11:47 PM by alicedavignon
I was just wondering, but isn't the staff supposed to be more or less neutral towards the players?

It's a little annoying when you first get mugged by a templar (which is absolutely fine in terms of IC) only to get attacked by a kick and bash-spamming scrab minutes later. Since when do scrabs kick anyway? I'm fine with a character being killed fairly, no problem here, but simply picking on someone as a staffer for whatever reason isn't nice.

Whoever is responsible for this, I think you're not cool at all.

Don't complain.

Welcome to Armageddon.

P.S. scrabs do kick.

Some animals do bash, kick, and other commands. It might've been an automated script.

Quote from: Cutthroat on February 10, 2009, 06:12:31 PM
Some animals do bash, kick, and other commands. It might've been is an automated script.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Then why the hell are they allowed to spam and I'm not?

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 06:08:57 PM
I was just wondering, but isn't the staff supposed to be more or less neutral towards the players?

It's a little annoying when you first get mugged by a templar (which is absolutely fine in terms of IC) only to get attacked by a kick and bash-spamming scrab minutes later. Since when do scrabs kick anyway? I'm fine with a character being killed fairly, no problem here, but simply picking on someone as a staffer for whatever reason isn't nice.

Whoever is responsible for this, I think you're not cool at all.

Not all templars are played by Imms. It could've easilly been a player. Scrabs do kick and bash. Infact, if the Scrab was 'indeed' animated by an Imm, odds are you'd end up having more interaction and more chances of survival, then if it was not.

Odds are ... it wasnt. Scrabs are nasty, especially to recent characters.

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 06:15:16 PM

You are allowed to 'spam'. Do whatever would be in character.

Quote from: Yam on February 10, 2009, 06:17:47 PM

Chances are, my stamina would jump up by 200% if I saw a scrab coming after me.

So, do we spam attack moves or do we not? Some say yes, some say no. What is it now?

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 06:20:05 PM
Quote from: Yam on February 10, 2009, 06:17:47 PM

So, do we spam attack moves or do we not? Some say yes, some say no. What is it now?

No need to be so hostile.

Quote from: Help Rules
Armageddon                                                         (Newbie)

The world of Armageddon MUD is known as Zalanthas. It is a harsh desert
planet where only the very fittest survive, and competition over extremely
scarce resources causes constant strife and bloodshed. In Armageddon, a few
things will be apparent:

1. Role-playing is _central_ to the environment--it is not considered an
    option by the creators of the world, it is a strict requirement. If you
    do not want to role-play, please go elsewhere.

2. Life is hard. There are no free lunches on Zalanthas. There aren't even
    free drinks of water. It is likely that your character will die, and if
    you are not clever your character will die very fast. Only (and we mean
    only) the very fittest of all live long enough to retire in comfort at
    the end of their careers.

3. Sometimes people are nasty. There are no rules against being extremely
    mean to others that your character may meet, be it cheating, stealing,
    killing, swindling, or otherwise making a fool out of.  The sole
    exception to this is termed 'the rule of consent', and is outlined
    both in "help consent" and in point 5, below.

4. Complaints of unfairness will not be given an audience. If you think
    your character's situation was unfair, too bad. Live with it or don't.
    See point 2 above.

5. The sole exception to the above is what we call 'the rule of consent'.
    You can be as mean and nasty to other players as you like, but they do
    have some measure of control over how graphic the depiction is.  If
    someone is emoting to a degree which you find bothersome, you can OOC
    for them to stop, and to presume that the action took place offstage.
    This is intended for adult situations, such as torture or rape, which
    some players may not wish to witness in vivid detail.  If you engage
    in a graphic scene that another player did not consent to, and if that
    player complains to the account, you will be banned.  For more details,
    see the helpfile for CONSENT.

6. Despite all of this, there are virtually no limits to what can happen,
    barring the ludicrous. If your character sets up a mercenary company,
    he/she may one day lead an army of loyal soldiers on an assault of one
    of the great city-states. As a magicker your character may one day become
    a fabled elemental being. Burglars may reach levels of affluence beyond
    imagination, and merchants may likewise become so rich as to own their
    own merchant house and dominate the world's economy. The limits are
    truly whatever you can imagine occurring.

7. Only ONE living character per player is allowed at a time.  If you
    attempt to circumvent this rule by making multiple accounts, you will
    be banned for a month after the first occurence, and banned permanently
    after the second.

To play Armageddon MUD, simply connect via telnet to:

ginka.armageddon.org 4050

Armageddon MUD's official web page is at:

http://www.armageddon.org/

If your Internet access utilities don't handle names, or if there seems
to be a problem with your local DNS, then you can direct your utilities to
the following IP address:

All official correspondence should be sent via e-mail to:

mud@ginka.armageddon.org

See also:
   clans, consent, death, geography, guilds, faq, help, help character,
   help newbie, karma, languages, magick, measurement, races, roleplaying,
   shops, time, wish, zalanthas

If a Templar mugged you, it was probably a PC. I can guarantee you that the scrab was not immortal inhabited.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"

Spamming moves is up to your discretion--don't be afraid to be told to act in a more 'appropriate' manner at times, because spamming moves is not always in consistency with a logical environment.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Yeah. No need to use this thread as a way to say, "but I read it was allowed to do so on GDB".  If you really want a fully straight answer, file a question request.

Personal opinion? Do what you think benefits your character. If you're a kicking dervish, then go ahead and whirl about kicking.

In my experience, it's fun to vary up and emote out your motions when you're in combat with a high agility/defense/defense skills and the fight is looong and mostly safe.  But once a fight is quick, hard edged, and you need to have <flee> typed in, your finger hovering on <enter>, your eyes glued not to a screen that's spamming past you in an unreadable speed, but at your hp count ... all emotes/thinks/feels, and doubts about spam fly right out of the window. But this is my experience, it's not how it's 'supposed' to be ... probably.

This is just dumb. I'm not writing a 4th pointless background story and another description within 48 hours. If this is supposed to be thrilling action, I'm a penguin.

... what?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 06:29:10 PM
This is just dumb. I'm not writing a 4th pointless background story and another description within 48 hours. If this is supposed to be thrilling action, I'm a penguin.

You don't think running from leopard seals is fun?

I'd recommend that if you really want to get into the stuff that's REALLY interesting in game, you stop trying to play the lone adventurer, and join a clan in order to make some connections.

From connections, come plots.

From plots come the real fun.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I'm a penguin.

Me too!

Sorry you're not having a positive experience with the game. If you want advice, I'd suggest sending a PM to myself or one of our helpers.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

It's a reasonable question, but posting to the GDB is probably an act of futility.

No matter what you post here, some people are going to disagree with you and the whole issue will end up about as sharply resolved as a lump of mud. Answering back will just cause them to dogpile you.

You're probably better off emailing the mud account and asking about it.

Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 10, 2009, 06:31:13 PM

I'd recommend that if you really want to get into the stuff that's REALLY interesting in game, you stop trying to play the lone adventurer, and join a clan in order to make some connections.

From connections, come plots.

From plots come the real fun.

What fun?! I joined the Kadius and there was only one (albeit nice) other person in that was ever around.

It's easiest to stay alive within the cities. I suggest you take Gimf's and staggerlee's advice. Perhaps look for a different clan than the one you joined last. There's plenty of opportunities for employment.

Good luck with your next character.

You're writing your 4th PC in 48 hours? Well, you kinda gotta give any character a little more time to make those connections than that. Joining a clan isn't insta-fun, I didn't say that. It's all about character development and integration.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 10, 2009, 06:35:09 PM
You're writing your 4th PC in 48 hours? Well, you kinda gotta give any character a little more time to make those connections than that. Joining a clan isn't insta-fun, I didn't say that. It's all about character development and integration.

What character development if you see another person for 5 minutes daily. I could just as well hold a monologue.

And what would you do within the city? Sit around Gaj and act like you're having fun?

Quote from: alicedavignon on February 10, 2009, 06:37:27 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 10, 2009, 06:35:09 PM

What character development if you see another person for 5 minutes daily. I could just as well hold a monologue.

And what would you do within the city? Sit around Gaj and act like you're having fun?

You could kidnap children.

When I first starting and someone was telling me about the game in order to educate me on how to play:

QuoteArmageddon isn't fun all of the time. In fact, most times it's boring, and you have to make your own fun, occupying yourself with your own creativity. The times that are fun and exciting are beyond any kind of fun or excitement you've had in other games. If it were another way, it would take away from the experience of the exciting times actually being exciting.