Loaded/empty sheaths

Started by RogueGunslinger, February 06, 2009, 08:30:28 PM

I think it would be cool if when you look at someone you could tell if their sheath was loaded or empty. Something small, probably not worth the time implementing, but nifty.

<worn around neck>       a tortoiseshell collar
<worn about wrist>      a loaded small leather sheath

<worn around neck>       a tortoiseshell collar
<worn about wrist>      an empty small leather sheath

Possibly something for 2.arm.

Small, insignificant daggers: Probably not.

Longknives, or blades a bit larger than daggers: Absolutely.

As long as size/length is taken into account, I like the idea. This would allow one to more accurately gauge the preparedness of an opponent.

You should be able to tell whether it has a blade in it or not, even with small daggers.

If you have to dig into a sheath to pull out the dagger, it is probably a little counterproductive to be wearing the sheath... with the idea being that it puts the weapon into a more easily accessible location.

The hilt will be showing, be it a small tiny throwing dagger or a big honkin' longknife.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on February 06, 2009, 08:40:41 PM
The hilt will be showing, be it a small tiny throwing dagger or a big honkin' longknife.

say (cocking an eyebrow) Indeed.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 07, 2009, 08:54:58 AM

Do you have a snake in your stomach too? lol [/derail]
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

Quote from: Gagula on February 08, 2009, 01:50:22 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 07, 2009, 08:54:58 AM

Do you have a snake in your stomach too? lol [/derail]

:D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I actually like this idea, simple as it is.

You should be able to tell if a sheath is loaded, unless it is concealed.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I like this idea, but only for actual sheath items. Other items that might have a sheath feature on them might not get this.

I'm not sure this idea is worth the effort.  I always assumed that if someone's wearing a sheath, chances are, there's something inside.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: Ampere on February 08, 2009, 07:32:44 PM
I'm not sure this idea is worth the effort.  I always assumed that if someone's wearing a sheath, chances are, there's something inside.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Quote from: Semper on February 08, 2009, 07:35:13 PM

I've always made sure to wear a sheath on every single wear location (including head, ears, and fingers).  All are empty, but the intimidation factor is huge.

>The sheath-festooned man is standing here, looking awkward.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Thunkkin on February 08, 2009, 07:40:13 PM

I've always made sure to wear a sheath on every single wear location (including head, ears, and fingers).  All are empty, but the intimidation factor is huge.

>The sheath-festooned man is standing here, looking awkward.

Dash it all....i thought maybe I would be an original with this. lol  ;D
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein

We are in progress of working on something for you guys on this front.  It may not be exactly as described, but it's close enough I think.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on February 13, 2009, 10:43:55 AM
We are in progress of working on something for you guys on this front.  It may not be exactly as described, but it's close enough I think.

Ohhhhh, what might we be looking at? Or is it still too loose to know for sure.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."