Expanding the brawl code

Started by Morrolan, February 03, 2009, 10:11:00 PM

I was sitting in the Gaj, watching a bar brawl, and I thought, wouldn't it be cool if the different classes had different fighting styles as exemplified by the brawl emotes?  If we combned that with which of the three combat forms the character is best at(two handed, dual wield, shield use), we could have a very dynamic system.

It's just because I'd like to see sneakies fighting sneaky, warriors smashing up the place, and rangers, dodging, weaving, and stalking their opponents.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

And merchants imitate a bag of sand?

o:

I would not like to see this set by your guild. That would make guild sniffing un avoidable. I, however, would like to see it be toggeable by the player.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

February 03, 2009, 10:29:12 PM #3 Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:13:20 PM by SMuz
No, not by guild. But it seems a bit.. dull. Something should be done to perk it up.

How about a skill check to determine which attack the character does and defense, as well as how successful it is?
E.g.. attack:
Kicking and bashing should definitely be applied
Bludgeoning skill is applied ("You pick up a chair and swing it at ~person")
Piercing is applied ("You jab a bottle at ~person")
Two-handed, maybe.. ("You pick up a large stool and bring it down on ~person")
Backstab.. maybe in a sense ("You jab a palm at the person's throat/solar plexus")

Defense...
Dodge is applied as normal
Parry skill is applied ("You catch his fist")
Shield use is applied to characters who pick up a thing and use it to block ("You lift a table/large clay plate and block the blow")
Disarm maybe, as a counter to any weapon-style attack.

Not sure about the others. Slashing and chopping seem pretty.. fatal. So is poison. Can't imagine how two-weapon would work in a mostly unarmed brawl.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

February 03, 2009, 11:13:38 PM #4 Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:15:35 PM by Semper
That's what emoting is for... But I see the point.

[added] The idea is nice, but it's a bit of work that's required. What about a more simple way for brawl code usage?
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Quote from: Qzzrbl on February 03, 2009, 10:24:35 PM
And merchants imitate a bag of sand?

o:

No, merchants would whip out their coinpurses and bludgeon their opponent to death.

Hehe, double entendre.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I wish brawling didn't instigate combat.
That way, you could emote it out lick for lick (still using the 'hit' command every time) and make things more interesting.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 04, 2009, 06:08:55 AM
That way, you could emote it out lick for lick (still using the 'hit' command every time) and make things more interesting.

Um, you've been doing it wrong. Type 'hit brawltest', if it gives you the green light, be assured that 'hit'ting another won't initiate combat.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

Quote from: Ampere on February 04, 2009, 06:45:33 AM

Um, you've been doing it wrong. Type 'hit brawltest', if it gives you the green light, be assured that 'hit'ting another won't initiate combat.

Ah, my bad, I haven't used it on over a year. :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'd be amazingly  happy if the thrown cup of ale was EXTREMELY rare or removed all together. /small derail

A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Lol, it would be amusing if you typed 'kill' instead of 'hit'. But yeah, I remember the old brawl code. That seemed a lot more fun... this one just seemed to be, I dunno, bland. It could just be because the ol' school brawls were big tavern fights with more than 5 people at once.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Majikal on February 04, 2009, 09:12:23 AM
I'd be amazingly  happy if the thrown cup of ale was EXTREMELY rare or removed all together. /small derail

Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Yes.

Quote from: Mood on February 05, 2009, 04:20:43 AM

It kinda gets old after you peg someone six times in a row with a cup of ale, yeah. Yeaaah.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Iusually just emote an action and use "hit" to determine whether my emote hits or not, ignoring its echo completely.

Though I suppose that does make it a little hard for spectators to keep up.

What would be nice: > hit (target) (open-ended emote)

So if you are the short man and you are brawling the tall, muscular man:

> hit muscular (attempts to punch ~muscular in the face)

If it hits:

The short man attempts to punch the tall, muscular man in the face.
The attack connects!

If it misses:

The attack misses!

Quote from: Cutthroat on February 05, 2009, 09:22:51 AM

If it hits:

The attack connects!

If it misses:

The attack misses!

Most elegant solution proposed yet. Though, I'd prefer it pre-emote and post-emote ;)

> hit short (pulling ^me head back quickly) [counters with a knee to %short groin]
Pulling his head back quickly, the tall muscular man counters with a knee to the short man's groin.

Quote from: Cutthroat on February 05, 2009, 09:22:51 AM

If it hits:

The attack connects!

If it misses:

The attack misses!

Hell Yes!!!!
Grebber - One who grebs.

I've removed a cut & paste error that was causing the 'mug of ale' echo to show up so often and tweaked the chances of the various echos coming up.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on February 05, 2009, 02:34:12 PM
I've removed a cut & paste error that was causing the 'mug of ale' echo to show up so often and tweaked the chances of the various echos coming up.

Thanks! 

Too bad it would too OOC for my PC to get in a bar fight. :D
Grebber - One who grebs.