Subdue in the city (and other hostile actions)

Started by SMuz, February 03, 2009, 12:59:24 PM

The help files say that subdue is illegal. But I know that some other players have done it, and have dragged a guy through areas where there are lots of soldiers. So, how does it work? Is it only illegal if you do it in front of a guard, or in front of other NPCs?

What about attacking another PC? Casting a spell on a thief?

Also, if there's a thief, could I wish up as if I'm screaming about some thief robbing me?
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

February 03, 2009, 01:01:12 PM #1 Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:02:43 PM by staggerlee
Subduing is only illegal if there's a struggle.
nosave subdue will ensure that there's no struggle to alert guards. Other situations or states of being can also ensure there's no struggle, but you can use your imagination for that.

Assault and spell casting are always illegal, but the guards might not always see you do it. ;)

Quote from: SMuz on February 03, 2009, 12:59:24 PM

Also, if there's a thief, could I wish up as if I'm screaming about some thief robbing me?

Yes. But the reaction of the staff is of course up to their discretion, and may not always be what you hope for.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I'd like to see trying to escape from a subdue also incriminating (for the one subduing). You can subdue someone in the alleys and start dragging them kicking and screaming through the streets, and to my understanding, you won't get incrimmed in the process. I may be wrong on this though.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

(Couldn't resist)
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Why should soldiers give a flying shit if someone's being subdued in the first place?

It confounds me.

It seems like you'll get arrested for so much as spanking your child in public.

:-\

Quote from: Qzzrbl on February 03, 2009, 02:40:57 PM
Why should soldiers give a flying shit if someone's being subdued in the first place?

It confounds me.

It's a police state, and you're kidnapping citizens in front of the police. I'd expect no less than brutal and indiscriminate justice. Try not to think of it as concern about the victim though.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: staggerlee on February 03, 2009, 03:07:38 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on February 03, 2009, 02:40:57 PM

It confounds me.

It's a police state, and you're kidnapping citizens in front of the police. I'd expect no less than brutal and indiscriminate justice. Try not to think of it as concern about the victim though.

Works for me.