Changes to staffing - animation and storytelling: Discussion thread.

Started by Adhira, February 03, 2009, 01:12:52 AM

I'm totally in support.  It never made a lot of sense to me to have to RP out the same thing I'd just emailed to my staffer anyway  :P
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

I forsee much updating of biographies, with this change. People will want to give staff an idea of what direction their character is going in, if any. What part they'd ultimately icly like to play in the stories around them.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

I'm very excited about this.  Thanks, guys.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Just had a fun, random interaction.  Thank you.  It was fun and ended with a -really- useful inspiration for some things down the road.  Thankyouthankyou. :)

One quick one though.... does this mean that most staff is going to be watching players more often now? Or is it more that they will be sort of PLAYING with the players more now?

Though you probably don't realize it we actually do watch you guys a ton :) But yes, in a way we'll be playing along with you a lot more through both random animations and through plot NPCs that we make our own. We want to make those characters that are accessible and that add to what you're up to rather than those unapproachable uber guys who come out to tell you what they want or rumberstamp your actions.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

I think this is an awesome change, overall. I'm a tiny bit concerned about the balance between micro and macro; I really love it when those OMG BIG WORLD CHANGEZ plots happen and stir everything up around our PCs. The impression I got from the announcement is that maybe what the players are doing will lead to the macro, now? Is that even close?

I'm also interested to see what happens with sponsored roles; it sounds like it will be much more important now for those leaders to have some kind of git-up-and-go on their own, to push their own plots and projects. Which I think is a good thing, but it might seem daunting to newbie leaders. Has there been any thought as to how to develop those newbie leaders and get them over the hump of not having a clue how to use their role?
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I have questions about how to go about changing the world - being a leader - and what to expect...

But I believe they should be answered on the weekend at the players meeting.

If not, I'll ask them here.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

What is the staff policy on implementing world changes, now, such as minor buildings, area adjustments, camps, etc? How is it decided who will do the work, if several staff members are overseeing one area?

I think this policy change is a great shift in the right direction.

The impression I got from the announcement is that maybe what the players are doing will lead to the macro, now? Is that even close?

Yep, that's pretty much it. One thing I mentioned in my original post is that there will still be a need for staff to have a vision for the game. That doesn't mean that we preset direction, but that we have an idea of how the game feels, how it plays, and possibilities for development. We then look at what the players are doing and work with those to further develop those 'possibilities'. So our impetus comes bottoms up, not top down.

Has there been any thought as to how to develop those newbie leaders and get them over the hump of not having a clue how to use their role?

This is the area that we really need to work on most. I'd like to see some development of those 'job descriptions' or guidelines for the different types of roles and their authority, perhaps another piece of documentation that needs work is a 'So you want to be a leader' kind of thing. I think that you guys (players) should have some input in to what we write up, since a lot of you have played or are playing these roles and will have a different perspective from the staff.

I think that in game there is still room for us to help the player with RP and animation. What we can do is give them direction and clues through the environment or other npcs. For instance if there's a new noble in the house instead of me playing the npc senior who sits down and talks them through things perhaps I'll be that slave whispering information in their ear, or for the new Sarge I might be that know it all recruit that rides along bugging the hell out of them.

Of course we always have email, and many times as a new leader it's via email that we will explain the ins and outs of something and that will always be available.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

What is the staff policy on implementing world changes, now, such as minor buildings, area adjustments, camps, etc? How is it decided who will do the work, if several staff members are overseeing one area?

Pollicy in this regard has not changed. There are still the same considerations put in before something is built, and like before it may mean that many things are given a no, or remain virtual.

If we are going to work on building or adjustments it will be within the care of the 'group' in question. Not every group is going to be managed the same, for some groups they've appointed one staffer as the main point of contact for a clan with the HL giving admin support and direction, for other groups it's an all for one approach.  I imagine people who are first point of contact for a clan will take care of their building, for the groups it'll be on a volunteer basis amongst members.  We hope that some of the roadblocks we've had for things in the past will be gone with this new approach.  For instance building work still needs to get a Highlord + sign off, we hope that this sign off (or veto) will be easier to obtain as each group has its own HL that is responsible for making sure that side of things get's sorted.

Quote from: Adhira on February 03, 2009, 12:35:31 PM
For instance building work still [anything that] needs to get a Highlord + sign off, we hope that this sign off (or veto) will be easier to obtain as each group has its own HL that is responsible for making sure that side of things get's sorted.

This is one of my favorite things about the change.  It seems that things will go flow much easier now, and HL+ decisions will be a lot more informed now.  Rather than just having the info that was given to them by players or Storytellers, they will most likely have deeper insight into the subject in question.

Also the Hierarchy relations of the staff set up seem that it will be much more efficient throughout.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I think this was great timing to put into effect, just before the Players Meeting, so it has time to work out and get some proper feedback.

Maybe when I'm at work, I'll send in a big staff kudos, but for now, I want to say something and then turn off my derail:

You staff have been, over the past say 6 months, more on the ball, organized, and altogether "better" than I've seen you be in the past 3 years. I'm not saying it was bad previously, but something has kicked the coders into 3rd gear (Not just Morg, either. I'm sure Cav or Ten are working hard too.) and the overall staff <-> player flow has been MUCH better. I just want to say thanks for really treating this game and its players so well, and doing it for FREE too. Big kuds.

/derail
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

*quirks an eyebrow*

I am intrirgued.

And as I have not had much time to play Arm in recent days, this has given me incentive to check in.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

One thing that I am concerned with is, I'm sure a lot more things are going to be blown out of proportion for a while as far as players taking what the imms to say as the gods honest truth. What precautions are being used as far as preventing shadies from being on blast 24/7 because any little mistake will get them reported to the local militia via the army of immortals over their shoulder? Let me rephrase this, will they be limited to dealing with that scene by not being able to report the actions of PCs that weren't caught by the VNPC population?
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Having just experienced just a little taste of this... awesome.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: Adhira on February 03, 2009, 12:25:45 PM

Has there been any thought as to how to develop those newbie leaders and get them over the hump of not having a clue how to use their role?

This is the area that we really need to work on most. I'd like to see some development of those 'job descriptions' or guidelines for the different types of roles and their authority, perhaps another piece of documentation that needs work is a 'So you want to be a leader' kind of thing. I think that you guys (players) should have some input in to what we write up, since a lot of you have played or are playing these roles and will have a different perspective from the staff.

What I have discovered in the course playing Armageddon, and other games, is that you can't make someone into a decent leader with a 'primer' or even because they have a history of amiable social RP with past PCs. It takes a certain innate capacity coupled with a degree of free time, to really get something off the ground. In my opinion, the best leaders have rarely been those who got their position from being a sponsored role. In fact, the most atrocious leaders have been those who were sponsored into it. That's because those who started from the bottom rung, had to at least been doing something right to get anyone to have anything to do with them on their own volition.

As an example: Some of the best, unsung leaders this game has /ever/ had, have been humble T'zai Byn sergeants. They came in as shit, and through sheer determination and surviving, managed to acquire authority. I can name five or six Byn sergeants off the top of my head that were not only able to inspire loyalty, but had an instinctive grasp of personnel management and keeping people alive. Sergeants that lack such traits, tended to die fast.

In contrast, just about every long term player probably has their own private black list of awful experiences they had dealing with various templars or nobles. Though every now and then, the rare fortunate event occurs of someone who is both a natural leader, has spent time in the trenches, and managed to get sponsored into a leadership role. Those are the true gems.

A bit of a derail but this:

In fact, the most atrocious leaders have been those who were sponsored into it. That's because those who started from the bottom rung, had to at least been doing something right to get anyone to have anything to do with them on their own volition.

Really is neither fact.. or fiction. Some of the best leaders I've seen have been sponsored, others have made their own way up in the world. By the same token I've seen some that have made their way up that haven't been that great a leader.

The byn is a good example of both deserving, and not so deserving, in my opinion. However I admire anyone who puts themselves forward and commits their time to make an attempt at a leadership role. They may not always be successful, but they took the time and made an attempt.  There are host of fantastic nobles, templars and family member merchants who have added unbelievable depth, RP and leadership to this game, just as there has been sergeants, hunters and crafters.

Leadership is not something you can just impart, it isn't something one just learns from a primer, but it surely cannot hurt to make sure that people have a good understanding of their roles and where they can take things. Hopefully through emails, RP with npcs and pcs, and their own general adeptness we'll manage to help those newbie leaders who just need that extra push.

And if that boss happens to be not so great? Well I've seen that drive some terrific RP too.

Now, let's get this thread back on track.

Quote from: Adhira on February 03, 2009, 11:47:40 PM
Now, let's get this thread back on track.

You mean the track of "God god we love you, Imms"?

Because, good god.

I love you.

... Imms.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Wow... you guys are rocking my socks off.

Thank you thank you thank you. :)
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Being a good leader starts with reading The Prince, but that's a story for another time. ;)
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Archbaron on February 04, 2009, 12:57:43 AM
Being a good leader starts with reading The Prince logging in, and ends with not being a douche.

ftfy
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 04, 2009, 01:03:28 AM
Quote from: Archbaron on February 04, 2009, 12:57:43 AM
Being a good leader starts with reading The Prince logging in, and ends with not being a douche.

ftfy
Thank you.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli