Changes to staffing - animation and storytelling: Discussion thread.

Started by Adhira, February 03, 2009, 01:12:52 AM

This is the thread to discuss the changes to the way we staff. Please keep the conversation civil and on topic, this thread will be moderated to make sure it stays on track and to enable us to clearly address your concerns.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

This seems like it has the possibility to be pretty awesome. Already I've seen the weirdest staff interaction lately, knowing that there's more to come is both exciting and dread-inducing.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I love it, especially the part about random animated NPCs. I saw a bit of that last night, and though I was frustrated icly(and occly a little) at what happened, I was VERY excited. Two animations. Wow. This ROCKS. You imms rock. Every single one of you.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on February 03, 2009, 01:18:49 AM
I love it, especially the part about random animated NPCs. .

She said what I feel perfectly.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I'm pretty excited about the change.  I can't wait to see how it affects things.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, now people in sponsored roles are going to focus more on their individual goals instead of the goals passed down to them from their clan immortals? It's exciting, and I hope it works.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Two questions:

Do the clan emails still work the same?

House Kurac players still sends mail to house_kurac@arm.org, etc

I noticed that Dakurus was listed as a "Red Storm" staffer.
Is RSV about to get some love too? or have I just not noticed it listed before?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

If GMH members are getting their marching orders via e-mail, how are spies/mindbenders/etc. supposed to get in on that action?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 03, 2009, 01:41:51 AM
If GMH members are getting their marching orders via e-mail, how are spies/mindbenders/etc. supposed to get in on that action?
Surely this information will be diluted among the clan and fall into the grasp of such spies and mindbenders.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Do the clan emails still work the same?
House Kurac players still sends mail to house_kurac@arm.org, etc

Yes, clan emails work exactly the same.

I noticed that Dakurus was listed as a "Red Storm" staffer.
Is RSV about to get some love too? or have I just not noticed it listed before?

You just didn't notice :) I believe he's been the RSV regional staffer for a couple of years now.

Spies and mindbenders get their information in exactly the same way, by spying on the other players. The 'good stuff' that needs to be spied on will be, on the whole, generated by those pcs. If they're getting information from the upper levels it's likely to be brief information to assist them to enact things in game.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

This is the single greatest thing the staff have done in the past year.

Thank you. I cannot thank you enough.

THANK YOU.  ;D

Throwing my 2 bits and a haircut here. I think the change is very impressive. Animating the small stuff is what I thought STs were supposed to be doing anyways. I'm not expecting a whole lot, so anything small will impress me.

One quick one though.... does this mean that most staff is going to be watching players more often now? Or is it more that they will be sort of PLAYING with the players more now?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

This sounds like what I've always wished for. I hope this works out well.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'm really looking forward to see how this all turns out. Good call on the staff's part, I think.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Sounds good.  Really good.

Some of favorite times in Arm have been when staff spontaneously supported whatever the PCs were randomly doing (with animations or otherwise).  Spreading direct support past an inner circle of leader PCs will make the game world seem more alive for everyone -- but most especially independents and player-run clans.

This actually inspired me to play a role other than the one I originally intended.  We'll see how that works out.

Sounds awesome, staffers :)
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I have to say, I played a long-term leadership role some time back, and this sounds like an answer to the prayers I had at that time.

Bravo.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Wow.  Just . . wow.

If I'm reading this right, and if it works out the way it looks like it will, then this game has just shifted from being an Imms' sandbox to a players' game.  That is a huge change.  That is an amazing release of responsibility.  This means that . . . oh wow. 

Thank you for even considering this restructure.  Get the word out about this, especially after it starts to work, and you will see some drifters returning.

QuoteGet the word out about this, especially after it starts to work, and you will see some drifters returning.

Speaking of which, yeah...over the years, I've definitely had people leave because they felt it was too hard to do the things they wanted to do, and essentially became IC lackeys to storylines that they had to do something momentus to affect.  So that statement may not be so far off.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Holy crap, I'm coming back to arm.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

If last night's animations and fun were as a result of this than I am so for this. Go go group staffer Imms!

It was hella fun. And a rather big surprise.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

I'm really glad to see this.  My hope is that we'll start to see a lot more diversity in the types of characters and plots.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>