Contact affected by range.

Started by Xio, January 31, 2009, 03:46:23 PM

I dunno the exact inner-workings of contact etc, but I think it would be easier to contact, and stay in contact with, someone in the same room as you, as opposed to someone halfway across the mud. I'm not saying make contact harder, but make it easier the closer someone is. It might just annoy me not being able to contact someone sitting down the bar from you cause you're a newb at contact code-wise.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

I believe it does work in that manner.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

It does, I have once contacted my old Byn sarge in Tuluk and it used more stun points then if it was in Tuluk.

Might want to avoid declarative statements about how you think the code works.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: Morgenes on April 03, 2006, 11:43:15 AM
I've put in a change that will give a bonus to contact the person who is in contact with your mind.  So if you contact back while your boss is still in contact with you, you'll have a greater chance of success.  If your boss has moved on to contact another of his flunkeys, you'll be at where you were.

Heres a little something that might be of some use to you.

>drop pants

I've had far more trouble contacting people in the same room as me than elseware. Maybe that's just me though....
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: Yokunama on January 31, 2009, 03:57:44 PM
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: tortall on January 31, 2009, 06:18:15 PM
I've had far more trouble contacting people in the same room as me than elseware. Maybe that's just me though....

Yeah, me too.

January 31, 2009, 09:30:23 PM #10 Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:32:03 PM by Yokunama

It should work in that manner. nuff said.

>drop pants

Quote from: Yokunama on January 31, 2009, 09:30:23 PM

It should work in that manner. nuff said.

Yes, nuff said.  Range matters!

Quote from: staggerlee on January 31, 2009, 04:32:55 PM

Quote from: staggerlee on January 31, 2009, 04:32:55 PM

What should that mean?  Sorry that I missed that comment.

Quote from: help The WayThe Way, or the Way of the Mind, is the name commonly given to the use of psionic (mental) powers on Zalanthas. Over several aeons, every living thing in the world has developed some use of psionics. While the use of the Way is not simple (it makes demands on one's consciousness, as measured by your character's stun points), every character is able to make use of it. Only psionicists, however, can truly claim to have mastered the Way.

>drop pants

Quote from: Yokunama on January 31, 2009, 10:20:19 PM
Quote from: help The WayThe Way, or the Way of the Mind, is the name commonly given to the use of psionic (mental) powers on Zalanthas. Over several aeons, every living thing in the world has developed some use of psionics. While the use of the Way is not simple (it makes demands on one's consciousness, as measured by your character's stun points), every character is able to make use of it. Only psionicists, however, can truly claim to have mastered the Way.

And your point is...?

This topic has been brought up before. Try using the search option, and if you are not able to find it on the boards, you should try experimenting with it ICly.

>drop pants

Quote from: Mechafish on January 31, 2009, 10:23:21 PM
Quote from: Yokunama on January 31, 2009, 10:20:19 PM

And your point is...?

Do not question the ways of the Way....

Because we shouldn't discuss things we can only speculate, no matter how much it destroys opportunity from players to attempt to expound upon and make coded ideas better, because Lord knows, if any non-staff player found out exactly how the code works (so he can stop guessing and experimenting with shit and concentrate on RP and making the game world around him alive, thusly making the story better overall), Zalanthas as we know it would implode.

Quote from: Yokunama on January 31, 2009, 10:37:57 PM
This topic has been brought up before. Try using the search option, and if you are not able to find it on the boards, you should try experimenting with it ICly.

Sorry.

Quote from: Xio on January 31, 2009, 03:46:23 PM
I dunno the exact inner-workings of contact etc, but I think it would be easier to contact, and stay in contact with, someone in the same room as you, as opposed to someone halfway across the mud. I'm not saying make contact harder, but make it easier the closer someone is. It might just annoy me not being able to contact someone sitting down the bar from you cause you're a newb at contact code-wise.

Quote from: Halaster on January 12, 2006, 10:31:44 AM
The Way is not a science nor is it always totally reliable.  Sometimes, it just doesn't work like you want it and you can't contact people.  Just like sometimes radios won't pick up signals as well on one day as the next.  Call it atmospheric interference, or solar flares, or whatever.

*This little snippet was taken from a staffer comment that I have built my image of The Way around. If you want to see the entire post, just click on the link provided by the quote.

>drop pants

Eh, if you paid any attention to what I was talking about, and what that topic was addressing, you'd realize the two are not really related. Even if I were to go along with said analogy, if you sit outside a radio station with your radio, you're gonna pick up a signal. If to sit two feet away from someone, I doubt, despite however contact works in a strictly rp-sense, that you gotta grasp around at the stratosphere to try to contact the person. I'm not saying it should always work without fail just because you are in the same room, unless you are that good of-course, just saying, it should be easier. If you feel it works that way already than simply disregard this topic and let it sink to the bottom of the forum. Several people going 'It works this way' 'No it doesnt' several times, is pointless. No Offense intended.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

I've found that if they are close or someone that I contact a lot, they are easier to contact than someone far away or someone that I've never contacted before. May just be me though, but I think this is how it is supposed to work.

February 01, 2009, 05:37:21 PM #22 Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 05:52:20 PM by RogueGunslinger
Meow.

February 01, 2009, 10:17:31 PM #23 Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:21:31 PM by Armaddict
There was actually a post from staff awhile back, or in the motd, stating that it was now affected by distance.  That is at least a year and a half ago or so.

You simply notice it less once you've gotten better at it, I would say.

Edited to add:  This -is- merely a recollection of mine, I did not go back to find the post or anything of that nature.  My memory has been faulty before, but I swear I recollect something of this nature.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on February 01, 2009, 10:17:31 PM
There was actually a post from staff awhile back, or in the motd, stating that it was now affected by distance.  That is at least a year and a half ago or so.

You simply notice it less once you've gotten better at it, I would say.

Edited to add:  This -is- merely a recollection of mine, I did not go back to find the post or anything of that nature.  My memory has been faulty before, but I swear I recollect something of this nature.

I remember that and I found a post on it.

>drop pants