Mortally Wounded

Started by FightClub, January 31, 2009, 05:26:44 AM

January 31, 2009, 05:26:44 AM Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:30:56 AM by FightClub
You know, when I think of a person being mortally wounded, there are a few things that come to mind, and I feel the game doesn't really reflect that well.  Primarily, a person who is 'mortally' wounded should never be able to recover, it is an injury that is beyond repair, such as being chopped in half by a car, or having an artery sliced wide open, modern day surgeons can't fix this, let alone the peoples with Zalanthian technology.

My first suggestion would be to make going mortal irreversible, the only way to reverse mortal wounding is by magical means.

Now onto the second, when inflicted with an injury that is most certainly going to kill you, most people will indeed pass out from the pain, but it is -not- always the case.  There are often times that people are wide awake, and fully aware as they are dying.  I feel, by no means, that every person who hits mortal should collapse unconscious like the sandman magically sprinkled death dust into their eyes.

Now if we were to make it to where being mortally wounded did not automatically render you unconscious, unless your stun was depleted in combat as well, and -gasp- perhaps able to communicate, here are a few things I would like to see implemented.

1. Under no circumstances can the person mobilize themselves, they must be loaded up on a mount someone else is steering, or subdued and pulled back wherever.

2. A person who is mortally wounded cannot use the way, they are enduring far too much pain, and distress to communicate via the way.

3. A person who is mortally wounded can speak, but not shout, their tone of voice would be at a whisper, at best, which means they cannot be overhead from the next room.  This would allow those players a final chance to give some departing words, without threatening the security of his attacker.

4. A mortally wounded person cannot defend themselves, although conscious.  They are living on borrowed time, and can be slain at a whim, it is only by the grace of their attackers that they remain alive.

5.You can only remain awake while mortally wounded if you still have stun left.  Being mortally wounded is severely taxing upon your body, so your stun might be lowered until you are magically repaired.

Anyway, thoughts?
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I think the easier fix would be to change 'mortally' to 'gravely' and avoid your little vocabulary peeve altogether without any code shenanigans.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 31, 2009, 05:31:35 AM
I think the easier fix would be to change 'mortally' to 'gravely' and avoid your little vocabulary peeve altogether without any code shenanigans.

Or maybe you should read the entire statement, it is not just a vocabulary peeve.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: FightClub on January 31, 2009, 05:33:40 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on January 31, 2009, 05:31:35 AM

Or maybe you should read the entire statement, it is not just a vocabulary peeve.

If it's only a grave injury, and not a mortal one, then the rest of your post doesn't apply.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I take it you mean that these things happen when you're below 0 HP, instead of going unconscious?

Yeah, it's overall a good idea, IMHO, leads to more RP-ing possibilities. It's great for backstabbing scenes, murdering your boss, or the person you just mudsexed. Since you're expected to allow some parting words, it'll be a more satisfying death. If I backstabbed my best friend or something, I wouldn't have the time to say "I'm sorry," or something like that, which is a bit mean on the player of the PC I just killed.

On the downside, a huge part of the mercy is in actually knocking out the enemy. I mean, if I was fighting someone whom I didn't like, I would want him knocked cold so I could take his stuff. If I'm feeling especially merciful, and he didn't catch a proper glimpse of me, I'd even drag him back to safety so the scrabs or gortoks don't eat him. There's a certain feeling.. a kind of pity, mixed with guilt, mixed with relief when you knock an enemy out. It's just not the same if he's lying there, glaring at everything I do.

This also means that those who are knocked out in the wastes by raiders are practically dead since they can't crawl back to safety. The raider won't likely drag you to a hospital. He'll just leave you to fend for yourself. If you're lucky, someone will find you. If not, then you'll starve to death. IMHO, not typing 'quit die' is already excruciating enough. Waiting there for 3 RL hours, hoping someone would save you is even more torturous OOC.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: FightClub on January 31, 2009, 05:26:44 AM
My first suggestion would be to make going mortal irreversible, the only way to reverse mortal wounding is by magical means.

I don't like this suggestion for playability reasons. At the moment, the game is fine in that area.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I like the extra rp time, but this code change should go in the low priority list.
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

If -0 hp, you're conscious but immobile and continue to lose stun. Unless you choose to sleep, your health won't improve either.
       This is definitely realistic and playable for the game. You can get your guts blown away and you'll still be conscious, if only until you bleed to death.

If -0 stun, you're unconscious, independent of your health.
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

I like the idea of not being able to bandage a mortally wounded person back to health but having the option to magickally save them.

I like the idea of not necessarily being unconscious, but in a state of shock and therefore unable to use the Way, communicate very well, defend yourself, or do more than sit up and maybe sip some liquor or snort spice in your last moments of life.

I do like the idea of stun being lowered and gradually lowering until the individual does lose consciousness and pass on to whatever awaits on the other side of life.

I do not think that this state should last longer than 1 IC hour.  Severe wounds issued to the PC earlier should cause this condition to have a shorter timer.  Grevious wounds, i.e., "Unspeakable"/"Frightening" would likely lead to immediate death.

I do not think this could be coded in the current incarnation of Armageddon without a -lot- of work by Morgenes and the other coders.