Lunar Cycles

Started by musashi, January 26, 2009, 12:46:28 AM

Door the two moons wax and wane in Zalanthas? I've seen road names that would indicate as much, but it's not mentioned anywhere in the docs or in the descriptions you get from typing "weather".
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Waxing and waning have to do with the way a planet orbits in relation to the other bodies in the solar system, ie. the sun and moons.  I would assume that since the moons are low in the sky at some points and high in the sky at others, occasionally they might be waxing/waning.  It would be sweet to see eclipses every once in a while, eh?

edit: I make absolutely no sense after reading my post.  Going to go drink to some coffee.

The more interesting question is:  do Lirathans and Jihaens wax?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 26, 2009, 02:56:10 AM
The more interesting question is:  do Lirathans and Jihaens wax?

They probably do. Tulukis are so wane.

I always assumed that the moons waxed and waned just like our moon does. I believe the plan is to create a more robust lunar cycle system in 2.Arm, where you can look at the moons and see what phase they're in. Back when I was still active, I submitted a proposal on how to handle moon-phases realistically, and even toss in some actual simulated astrophysics - fun things like resonances (adding regularity and predictability to the lunar cycles for the observant) and handling tides around large bodies of water, silt, magma, or other liquids. IIRC, eclipses of some kind were also in the proposal.

As far as I know, all of this is still planned - though in what form - or even if it's still on the table - only the Staff can say.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: Tlaloc on January 27, 2009, 12:41:23 PM
I always assumed that the moons waxed and waned just like our moon does. I believe the plan is to create a more robust lunar cycle system in 2.Arm, where you can look at the moons and see what phase they're in. Back when I was still active, I submitted a proposal on how to handle moon-phases realistically, and even toss in some actual simulated astrophysics - fun things like resonances (adding regularity and predictability to the lunar cycles for the observant) and handling tides around large bodies of water, silt, magma, or other liquids. IIRC, eclipses of some kind were also in the proposal.

As far as I know, all of this is still planned - though in what form - or even if it's still on the table - only the Staff can say.

You should come back and find out ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.