Now that we have stat priority...

Started by Morrolan, January 24, 2009, 07:41:36 AM

I was thinking about stats and rerolls and stats yesterday, and I was thinking that (now that we have stat priority), stats farther from "average" in both directions should be harder to attain.

I was thinking that it might be good if something were done to lower the amount of deviation from average, to lower the number of super-strong fighters, super-smart mages, super-agi thieves, etc.  One fairly simple solution would be to make the roll the average of two separage rolls, though people with more than college-level stats might simply take a look at the numbers and come up with a more balanced solution.

This would drive the stat-rolls towards the center, but still make it possible to have the higher stats.

Yes, many people are going to hate this idea.  I see it as a solution to the "every warrior has a really good strength, and if you don't, your life will be hell" instead of the random stats we used to have.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

January 24, 2009, 01:04:52 PM #2 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:12:56 PM by Morrolan
Yes, I presume there is a bell curve somewhere in there.

Now the questions become:
1) What is considered a standard deviation?
(I really don't know on this one.)

2) If the odds of being in the "average" range equals the first standard deviation, then what percentage of the time would a character be average in all respects (all 4 stats)?
Assuming normally distributed data, this will only happen aout 21% of the time.

That means that approximately 79% will be at least a little special, one way or the other.
I'd like a sdev's worth of characters to be basically average.  It's hard to focus on RP when your character's a cripple, and it's hard to stay in character when you're a born killer who can hardly be stopped.

Morrolan

EDIT: I don't want every character to be an Amos, but at the same time, stat ordering seems to have upped the number of bad-ass warriors, etc. in the world.  I'd like the code to give it a nudge back toward the middle.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I don't agree on any point. Nobody seems to be any better. Matter of fact, I would say that they have become if anything, more average. And you would be suprised how often the "badass" warriors have average or below stats.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on January 24, 2009, 07:02:52 PM
I don't agree on any point. Nobody seems to be any better. Matter of fact, I would say that they have become if anything, more average. And you would be suprised how often the "badass" warriors have average or below stats.

I concur.

Here's one, no stats below average, unless you special request it for your character.

Quote from: Clearsighted on January 24, 2009, 07:11:16 PM
Quote from: X-D on January 24, 2009, 07:02:52 PM

I concur.

I disagree.

Fuck no. Let it be. I'm happy now - don't fiddle any more with the process. Morg already tucked that aging mess into the code. That'll even 'em out, trust me.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

No more tweaks with stats, please. I haven't seen a single AI since the tweak.  >:(

Stats simply matter too much in the game, to too many guilds/races.

And we aren't your 'average' commoners. Our PC's were meant to stand out above your typical commoner, in my opinion.

Maybe a total of 150 PC's scattered throughout the Known World compared to the thousands of NPC commoners living in each city-state.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I disagree that we should have more average stats. I like having extremely awesome, or oppressively bad stats. I don't want middle of the road everytime.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

It's good as it is. Don't fix it unless it's broken. Problem with more average stats is that it depends on luck - and the 1 in 40 characters who has absolutely incredibly anything will be much more powerful than most people. It works fine now.. most warriors have above average strength, thieves have above average dexterity, it's as it should be. If it isn't, then reroll.

And like X-D said, stats don't really matter after a while anyway. They only appear to very early on in the game, where an unskilled merchant with exceptional agility and two daggers could cut an average fighter to ribbons. But once that fighter actually gets a few skill points, he'd be able to trash the merchant with no problem.

I'd support optionally tweaking your stats to become more extreme on both sides, though, like someone who has extremely good agility and strength, but very poor endurance and wisdom ;) Makes for some interesting roleplaying. Optional, of course.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

No more tweaks.

I have to agree with Lakota here.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Jarek on January 24, 2009, 09:39:40 PM
Here's one, no stats below average, unless you special request it for your character.

Part of me says no, and the other part of me says my badass elven crimelord had 3 poor stats, so...Huh.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

January 25, 2009, 05:59:01 PM #15 Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:05:42 PM by Jingo
Make stats affect combat less.

Especially strength.

Edit: grammer gammer grammer
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

lol at Jingo's "edit."

Strength -does- make a bit too much of an impact in fighting. I don't think it should determine whether you hit, but instead, how -hard- you hit someone.

Agility should determine how often you swing, and whether your swing connects.

Quote from: Lakota on January 25, 2009, 06:28:27 PM
lol at Jingo's "edit."

Strength -does- make a bit too much of an impact in fighting. I don't think it should determine whether you hit, but instead, how -hard- you hit someone.

Agility should determine how often you swing, and whether your swing connects.

Um.

Quote from: help strengthThis attribute affects several things within the game world, such as the
amount of weight you can carry before you begin to suffer penalties,
how hard you hit in combat, and modifiers on subduing the inhabitants
of Zalanthas.

Quote from: help agilityAgility is an ability score that measures all types of physical
coordination and swiftness
.  Hand-eye coordination, reaction time, balance,
depth perception, and reflexes are all types of characteristics measured
by agility.

... they do.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

QuoteStats simply matter too much in the game, to too many guilds/races.

QuoteMake stats affect combat less.

Especially strength.

QuoteStrength -does- make a bit too much of an impact in fighting.

These. I don't like how much those initial dice rolls affect our characters throughout their lives. It's just too much of a factor, especially strength.

January 25, 2009, 06:40:45 PM #19 Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:43:12 PM by Lakota
I'm not referencing documentation, I'm referencing reality.

In hindsight my post was a bit obtuse.

I understand that agility determines how often you strike. I meant to say that in addition agility should determine whether said attempt lands.

Currently, strength factors in to whether you hit an opponent or not, not agility.

Quote from: Lakota on January 25, 2009, 06:40:45 PM

I understand that agility determines how often you strike. I meant to say that in addition agility should determine whether said attempt lands.

Currently, strength factors in to whether you hit an opponent or not, not agility.

What? Are you sure? If so, this should definitely not be so.

Quote from: Lakota on January 25, 2009, 06:40:45 PM

Staff disclaimer: We do not discuss code specifics, however, I will say that what is in the documentation is accurate.  Agility affects the chance of hitting them as well as how often you swing.  Strength only comes into play for damage calculations.  Any perception to the contrary are just that, perceptions.  I have reviewed the code to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering or that it had somehow changed, but Lakota is wrong in this case.  Strength has no play in the accuracy of blows.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Whew, that'll teach me to listen to Lakota any more.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 25, 2009, 08:21:44 PM
Whew, that'll teach me to listen to Lakota any more.

Seriously. That fucking moron.

January 27, 2009, 10:48:10 PM #24 Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:57:37 PM by SMuz
I don't want to go too code based into this, but strength and dexterity really give the same advantage. It's just that both require the use of different fighting styles.

The problem is that people with low strength and AI agility are using really lame weapons. I mean, seriously, IRL, nobody could kill a rampaging bull with two daggers. Use a real weapon!

Low strength is permanently crippling though, because a fighter with low strength won't be able to dual wield maces or walk around in heavy armor. And strength affects a person's performance against (natural) armor. A fighter could survive with low dex with the right style, but a low str one won't be able to do any damage at all.

Also, back on the OP of doing bell-curves, you should note that tweaking the stats would make humans much stronger on average than elves, dwarves stronger than humans, but dwarves will be much, much slower than elves. And half-giants..!
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.