The Staff: A General Observation

Started by mattrious, January 21, 2009, 04:40:57 PM

This is just an observation I've had over the past few months to year. I totally understand our staff is a 100% volunteer type position and many of the individuals on staff have families, jobs, and actual lives outside of Zalanthas. I also understand that many of our staff members are focusing a large amount of their creativity in moving along Armageddon Reborn. With that said it seems to me like the staff have been a little "flat" in regards to what is going on in our current Armageddon. The last major HRPT was the Copper Wars? I consider the Gith invasion an HRPT-Lite as Tuluk was not really involved to my knowledge. It appears that many staff members have not been showing too much of an active interest in regards to our current game at all if any. There were a few months that I felt I had little to no communication with clan staff in e-mails and the like. Belenos, just kind of dropped off the face of the planet. As a player I love knowing that I have a staff member assigned to my clan but it really sucks when one just disappears without a word. Again, please do not interpret this as a flame or troll type post as I'm just a little worried about what is going behind the scenes and why there has been a lack of staff interaction? Thanks for any input.

- matt.

Be patient, young padawan.

Trust me that we are still active, and we are still plotting.  Consider what we are doing to be more of a Tulukian nature than an "In Your Face Allanak HRPT" style plotting.

As for a general decline in interaction, I'm not seeing any evidence of this from my standpoint.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

I imagine the majority of the playerbase wanting to say the same thing, but lacking the balls to say it. Kudos mattrious.

It's also good to hear from staff that they are planning things, even if we as players are not aware of these things.

Thanks.

Quote from: Shalooonsh on January 21, 2009, 04:53:12 PM
Be patient, young padawan.

Trust me that we are still active, and we are still plotting.  Consider what we are doing to be more of a Tulukian nature than an "In Your Face Allanak HRPT" style plotting.

As for a general decline in interaction, I'm not seeing any evidence of this from my standpoint.

That is great to hear Looon. I truly appreciate your response and the work our staff does with the game. I was just a little concerned and I thank you for putting those concerns to rest.

I sent a character update to the unclanned staff and got a response within a couple of days...which was pretty cool.

I'm not exactly trying to build a rebel base in the wilderness or anything, though.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Lakota on January 21, 2009, 04:55:39 PM
I imagine the majority of the playerbase wanting to say the same thing, but lacking the balls to say it. Kudos mattrious.

It's also good to hear from staff that they are planning things, even if we as players are not aware of these things.

Thanks.

Glad this was aired.  Problems like this can fester nastily, it's always best to get them out in the open.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

As a newer player, I like the scarcity of HRPTs. I'm going to totally freak out and be so excited when one actually does happen.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

I kind of like the player initiatied rpts, which I've seen supported.  They have a much more personal touch.

Quote from: UnderSeven on January 21, 2009, 05:58:38 PM
I kind of like the player initiatied rpts, which I've seen supported.  They have a much more personal touch.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Archbaron on January 21, 2009, 06:29:46 PM
Quote from: UnderSeven on January 21, 2009, 05:58:38 PM

But my clan staffer has been very prompt and active as well. I have't noticed a lack of attention or effort on their part. But my experience with clans is limited.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I always recommend playing in a variety of clans in order to get a feel for which staffers you prefer. While staffers all have the same sorts of responsibilities, people are people, and different people have different styles and approaches. There'll always be some people you prefer interacting with.

I have pointed out in a response to a topic a while back that just because you don't see things going on, doesn't mean nothing is happening.  But of course, no one believed me.

Muahahaha!
Eastman: he came out of the east to do battle with The Amazing Rando!

Respectfully, for the players that dont see it, it isnt happening.
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

I've seen a lot of HRPT and staff activity within the past years. Far more than when I started playing.

I don't see much of a problem at all.

One thing to take into consideration...

From our perspective, when we run a lot of HRPTs, players complain that we are meta-managing roleplay and that they feel like they're just cogs in a machine and can't change anything.  Then when we step back and let players start their own things, and run smaller plots, players complain about the lack of HRPTs.

;)
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Having been staff for a few muds, I know what being on the flip side of the fence is like.  But I think Halcyon makes a valid point, if a bit muddled in its presentation.

If player A gets 3 RPT in a month, and Player B gets 0, B will not be as happy a camper as A, generally speaking.  I believe the trick we should be advocating is spreading the love amongst the players. 

Choosing not to be put into a clan, for instance, should not preclude you from staff observation.  Some of the most memorable and meaningful people I've met in game are not in a clan, yet I've been told repeatedly by veteran players, 'Be in a clan or be ignored.'  Certainly, I've felt that this is true, considering I've gotten no interaction with staff while being indie.

Is it?  I can't really say, I'm only one of a sample of X.  But if you don't spread the love around, even if its just having some random guy shoot the shit with a PC, it will be noticed.  Then again, maybe I'm just encouraging the style I used for creating staff interaction. 

I check the update tool at least three times a day.  I find it very informative.
I have been quite happy with the amount of changes, additions and updates that have been shown lately.

Also, as Halcyon said... we can't know that it is happening if you guess don't let us know.
I have noticed a large amount of work that was done in the came over the last couple of years that was done, but didn't show up on the updates page.

You guys should definitely make sure you are getting all the credit that is due your hard work.
Don't be so modest, when you do something, let us know so that we can offer up our offering of cookies and booze in worship to our Zalanthan gods. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Kryos on January 22, 2009, 11:31:03 PM
Choosing not to be put into a clan, for instance, should not preclude you from staff observation.  Some of the most memorable and meaningful people I've met in game are not in a clan, yet I've been told repeatedly by veteran players, 'Be in a clan or be ignored.'  Certainly, I've felt that this is true, considering I've gotten no interaction with staff while being indie.

Having been involved in a great many independent organizations and clans alike, there's certainly advantages and disadvantages to both systems.  However, I don't think it's entirely accurate to say, "Be in a clan or be ignored."  I would say that you have a much better chance of being integrated with major plots if you integrate yourself, or your independent organization, with the rest of the game world -- and that means networking and associating with established long-term clans.

If you want to be brought into an RPT or a large plot, then be someone those people know and want to have around.  Someone that they need things from, or depend upon for goods or services they cannot get elsewhere.  Too many people want to change the system instead of changing their system, and that attitude is going to often see you disappointed or frustrated.  Realize that established clans have support structures, both IC and OOC, both Player and Staff, and use that resource rather than compete with it. 

It doesn't mean you have to be part of the clan, or even obligated to them.  You just need to be visible and in a position to be of help to them if, and when, an RPT comes flying their direction.  Don't stand on the sidelines waiting for the game to come to you -- get involved with the other teams and step onto the field.  If done properly, you should have no shortage of people communicating with you, wanting what you have, and trying to involve you in their plans.

-LoD

It's certainly not the case that you should be in a clan or prepare to be ignored.

More than anything else, the job of a given clan's staff is to provide and reinforce a sense of structure and community. To keep fresh the idea that being in a clan is more than the sum of free food and a place to stay.

When you as a player choose not to be a clan, you're choosing to forgo that structure. Your need for a staffer is drastically reduced because you're existing outside of the structures that it is our job to reinforce. Lord PeePants Borsail answers to Senior Lord Poopbottom, who must be played by a staffer. Joe the Indy Hunter answers to no man or NPC, so he doesn't need our attention as much.

That said, the best way to ensure that you're not being completely ignored is to be proactive. Send regular email updates. Keep your bio updated. Keep your objective fresh. And interact with as many players as you can.

We're always watching, but believe it or not we try to keep the actual meddling to a minimum. Brainz eating aside.