Player Retention: What the DATA shows

Started by Gimfalisette, January 21, 2009, 01:25:11 PM

Quote from: Rahnevyn on January 22, 2009, 03:10:07 PM
Morgenes and I found an open source survey framework we think we might be able to use. I'm planning to hack around with it over the weekend and see if we can get it running. If we can, we ought to be able to do some surveys without needing a third party.

Glad to see staff is doing something. Thanks.

January 24, 2009, 05:22:07 AM #51 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 05:25:13 AM by Armaddict
Didn't read the whole thread.  I do come back and peek and see how the game is coming along, now and then.

But I will have it noted that the 'silent drifting away' of veteran players is often preceded by them making lots and lots of posts and critiques, and it's only once these are ignored or mashed down under the rolling snowball of the new that they drift off.

It isn't that they stop caring.  It's that the game changes in some way, or the player status changes, -something- usually changes that makes it easier to break off from the addiction that is this game.  There's no attempt to call them back, since they leave quietly, and it just fades.  That's just my opinion on it.  XD
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

A point that's been made about veteran players that I would elaborate a little on now is that of the player's RL circumstances.

I think this is easily the biggest reason veterans leaves the game.  I started playing with three other guys in highschool, we all played for three years pretty actively.  Now only two of us play while one other has a character made but rarely ever logs in.  Of the two of us that play now, I took two years out and the other has taken a year out at some point as well.  None of us became cynical, angry or even really bored, just busy busy busy.

I don't know how many of you have felt the way I have, but at times I'll finally lose a character that I've put a lot of work into and like very much and feel -relieved-.  Relieved because the commitment to that character has been stressing me out and straining my commitment to other things in life.  Maybe just because at times the only way I can play this game is by sacrificing sleep and I'm so damn tired and grumpy I get excited about the decent sleeps I'm going to be getting for the next week.

Then I roll up another character when life gets a little slower.

I see the amount of time some players and staff put into this game and I think there's just as much merit to having links to addictions counselling/dangers on the home page as there is to having player retention programs.

Which leads me to another point and that's the amount OOC procedure and communication that can be burdenning to players and I speculate wear staff right out.  When you're plotting against other characters you need to be more worried about covering your ass and thinking up some flowery emote than you do about actually plotting how you're somehow by the love of Tek' going to take out that sorcerer with you're elven child pickpocket because of the complaint that sorcerer is going to send with the complaint tool (which I think is lame and un-armageddon, but that's a different post) about how unfair life is and he had no chance.  All that to say, the more we can do to limit obligations the better, I think, for staff and players.

And the game just changes, and veterans normally don't like it.  It's like having a younger brother (in many cases).  The veterans have grown up with a different set of rules - armageddon used to be a very unforgiving place to play.  There was (I thought) very clear rules and rp expectations and you got your wrist slapped when you stepped out of line, much like it is now (although I've hears some horror stories about times past but I really have no experiences like that).  However, things have changed and as we try and make armageddon more friendly place, develop policies about being nice to other players etc. the rules change for the 'younger brother' and then the veteran gets frustrated.

All that to say, I really appreciate and understand where these ideas are coming from and I do what I can to help new players and I think programs for new players (players that have been at arm for less than six months IMO) are a very good thing.  What I'd like to see, and I feel that I'm a minority on this, is armageddon getting back to towing the hard line it did in the past.  Everyone who loves the game adapts to the same set of rules and you buck up and stop bitching when you think something's unfair or somebody hurt your feelings.  Don't overburden the staff with a mountain of emails, requests and complaints and do what you need to get done IG with other characters.

Don't compromise the ideals of badassity for player retention, that's my message.  People will play at armageddon because it's better than other muds and because it's just as hard and gutsy OOC as it is IC.  Nobody needs to be treated like a prick but nobody needs to be babysat either.

...screw it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: roughneck on January 24, 2009, 08:43:42 AM
I see the amount of time some players and staff put into this game and I think there's just as much merit to having links to addictions counselling/dangers on the home page as there is to having player retention programs.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I've seen the newbie NPCs that give out mini-quests and tours on other MUDs, even RPI MUDs, and I have to say that if Armageddon was to incorporate this, it would have to be really, really polished. It general gives the game the feel that it's based around quests, which isn't a good impression from the start. I think that if players can't read the documentation or find the wealth of helping documents on the website and GDB, then they aren't the quality of player's we're looking for.

One could argue that training players is always a plus, but what we should be looking at is not player retention but player attraction. If we attract a lot of people, then the ones cut out for this game will stay and the others will leave.

Armageddon is like a sieve in the sand at the beach. Most of the players (the sand) falls right through at different rates, but after each batch, there's always an ugly lump or broken bit of glass or condom wrapper. Those people are us.

We should work towards fixing our website to make it more friendly to people who want to learn. That doesn't mean holding their hand, it just means pointing them in the right direction. We should update a lot of the documents, especially the ones related to getting into the game and creating characters because 90% of that is severely outdated. It's been proposed as a community project before, but it's something that we really need to focus on.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Personally, I think one of the biggest hurdles for new players is the lack of an available glossary of terms, other than helpfiles. Armageddon has a lot of unique jargon, and unfortunately, if you aren't already part of the culture, it looks like Greek in a lot of ways.

Terms and concepts like VNPC, RPT, storyteller, highlord, and even GDB are pretty foreign to those outside the community, and it took me a long time to figure out a lot of them when I was a fresh-faced newb.

Seriously, GDB. Who the hell calls a 'forum' or a 'BBS' a 'GDB'?
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Archbaron on January 27, 2009, 12:40:14 AM
Armageddon is like a sieve in the sand at the beach. Most of the players (the sand) falls right through at different rates, but after each batch, there's always an ugly lump or broken bit of glass or condom wrapper. Those people are us.

This made me snort milk through my nose laughing.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Fathi on January 27, 2009, 12:52:50 AM
Personally, I think one of the biggest hurdles for new players is the lack of an available glossary of terms, other than helpfiles. Armageddon has a lot of unique jargon, and unfortunately, if you aren't already part of the culture, it looks like Greek in a lot of ways.

Terms and concepts like VNPC, RPT, storyteller, highlord, and even GDB are pretty foreign to those outside the community, and it took me a long time to figure out a lot of them when I was a fresh-faced newb.

I highly endorse this, as it was a major hurdle for me as well.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Great idea, Fathi, those things could and should be added to the help files--which is the closest thing we have to a glossary--and I think it would help a alot.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 27, 2009, 11:19:22 AM

Great idea, Fathi, those things could and should be added to the help files--which is the closest thing we have to a glossary--and I think it would help a alot.

Note that before today, RPT and GDB were already in the Help files, which are available through the website and in the game.  Shalooonsh and I have added VNPC and are working on the other suggestions.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Done.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

January 27, 2009, 04:01:27 PM #62 Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:05:09 PM by flurry
Some other potentially newbie-confusing jargon that's not in the help files:

twink
immortal
mantis head
kudos
sids
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: Morgenes on January 27, 2009, 02:49:50 PM
Note that before today, RPT and GDB were already in the Help files, which are available through the website and in the game.  Shalooonsh and I have added VNPC and are working on the other suggestions.

Quote from: Shalooonsh on January 27, 2009, 03:39:08 PM
Done.

As always...
Armageddon staff rocks!

Thanks, you two!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: flurry on January 27, 2009, 04:01:27 PM
Some other potentially newbie-confusing jargon that's not in the help files:

twink
immortal
mantis head
kudos
sids

Linked 'immortal' to 'staff' and 'sids' to 'obsidian'.

We'll get the other three up ASAP.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I would think one should never ever hear the word "twink" in-game, even over OOC.

"Kudos" and "mantis head" are likewise OOC terms that don't really relate to the type of discussions that the OOC command is meant for.

Another that comes to mind is Ginka.

I know ginka is a fruit in the game, but we also refer to it as our server, and refer to it a lot on the GDB as such. Might help to differentiate the two.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 27, 2009, 05:48:05 PM
I would think one should never ever hear the word "twink" in-game, even over OOC.

"Kudos" and "mantis head" are likewise OOC terms that don't really relate to the type of discussions that the OOC command is meant for.

No, but help files don't have to just be about what's said in game. Having glossary terms related to GDB discussions is helpful too.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

This glossary should also be on the forum, and not just in help files.
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

January 27, 2009, 11:53:49 PM #69 Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:55:35 PM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: Archbaron on January 27, 2009, 08:16:36 PM
This glossary should also be on the forum, and not just in help files.

Help files are fairly easy to navigate, especially with all the links at the bottom of the "definition."

If it were on the GDB, I don't see how it could be anything but a list.

I assume if one wanted to take the time out (I can't see it taking less than 12 hours), they could start a post and copy and past from the help files, but OMG that would be one hell of a long post.

Said player would also need to be willing to keep it edited and updated which could also be a rather daunting task.

Edited to add: I would definatly make sure to ask the staff about it before you get started, Archbaron... or anyone else who wanted to do it.
Grebber - One who grebs.

January 28, 2009, 12:05:00 AM #70 Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:07:01 AM by Bebop
1) I think that the Help Files should be more newbie friendly
        The abbreviations are a start.  Less lingo in the help files.  They should be more direct and spaced out with bullets and bolded text so that they're more comprehensive.

2) I HAVE seen veteran players falling off left and right since the game has begun to end.

Even if people come back some really key players are seriously considering quitting.  Even if they come back who is to say they won't dwindle off?  Gimf is right.  Player retention IS important.

Even before I said I was indefinitely quitting I had already dwindled back and and forth.  During the times I was back I didn't have the best experiences either though I can not elaborate.  I am not necessarily a veteran player, but I have been around four years and am quiet familiar with the game.

I learned how to play by watching other Veteran players.  Though their play types were not all the same I took a little of each as I went along and learned and created my own style.  Veteran players set the standard.  The lack of veteran players and the slow changing and dismissing of some of our veteran ideals is some of the reason I feel that the quality of RP has decrease.  We aren't maintaining the same standards we had four years ago when I started playing (in my perspective) and that is disappointing.  Time and time again I have watched people approach the game with complete disregard for documentation for whatever reason it may be (lack of understanding, lacking the will to follow the rules etc).  Regardless, when you have more people like newbs in the game that lack the understanding than you have veterans (because you aren't retaining the veterans who set the standard) undoubtly the standard of RP is going to decrease.

Gimf is also right that sucesss can be interrepted by our game growing.  Armageddon is a niche game.  But that does not mean that we should be exempt from growing (even slowly) as the years progress.  At some point Armageddon DID grow.  But I think she is right.  It has stopped growing.  I've been playing for four years and while I do think we've seen a small margin of growth I'm not sure it's just that small and I'm not sure that lately we're even retaining it.

I honestly believe that if the second version of the game is not successful it will have the power to completely end Armageddon or at least end Armageddon as we know it with the quality of RP that we've come to expect and has maintained the few old, old players that remain AND continue to play actively.

3) My third suggestion is that the homepage remain easy to read but much more enticing by using the excellent art of our members and choosing a more aesthetically pleasing layout to make a more appealling first impression.  It also must immediately show what Armageddon offers, combat, realism, and amazing magick system.  So what if we toot our own horn?  Why isn't there something on the homepage that represents?

QuoteArmageddon is a highly modified DIKU MUD, a form of multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORG), designed to provide a roleplaying experience in the harsh desert world of Zalanthas. The game is entirely textual, providing a coded backdrop in which players enact their characters' storylines. Players are required to stay in character on the game, but chatting about the game and its community takes place on the discussion boards. To get started, telnet to armageddon.org 4050 and create an account (the game is free). Once you have an account, you can create a character and begin playing.

We strongly suggest that new players take the time to review the wealth of documents describing the rich cultural and historical detail of Zalanthas in order to help them design and roleplay an interesting, compelling character. At the same time, we invite current players to continue perusing the docs as new ones are added and existing ones augmented, as well as to visit our bookstore, which lists titles that have influenced the game and staff recommendations. If you want to try the game before investing too much time in the documentation, please read our Quickstart.

This site serves as a central location for documentation about the game and its world, as well as to provide an introduction for users new to our environment. We've included artwork, poetry and stories from both staff and players depicting aspects of our harsh desert world, and welcome more. Submissions, questions, and commentary should be sent to mud@armageddon.org.

Why doesn't the front page read a little more like this?  (And be gentle I have to go get on the treadmill before going to bed and I'm on like a full day of work and five hours of sleep here:)

QuoteA barren land desiccated by the magick rituals of it's power hungry denizens awaits you.  Two opposing city-states loom over the dunes and the scattered Outposts of the land.  Performers entice pedestrians wandering across the cobbled stone streets and past canvas tents, they offer to distract them from their daily struggle for survival and water.  Cunning nobility and socialites and rulers are lavished in wealth and bide their time in player driven power struggles.  

Armagedon is a text-based MMORG RPG like no other available online.  Set in the harsh desert realms of Zalanthas, experience life as a savvy merchant, a deft archer and woods man or risk it all by manipulating your way through society in the deadly games of politics.  Immerse yourself in the online world that is Armagedon.

In the making for over ten years Armageddon is a text-based game with a coded backdrop where you will experience an unparallel and intense level of role-play in which your character has boundless potential to accomplish their goals or live out the simple but busy life of a skilled commoner.  Armageddon also features a player driven economy, history and even a black market where crafty criminals can manipulate society at it's underbelly.  Based on a class system character creation is simple and documentation  for new players is available on the link below.  Click here to open Armageddon's free telnet application or use your on MUD Client by logging on to www.armageddon.org at port 4050 to create your account.  

After you've logged into Armageddon the game will take you through the steps to create your character.  To ensure our high level of role-play your character will have to be approved.  Applications are approved within twenty four hours.  Once approved begin the life of your character and enjoy unrestricted travel through the dangerous and incredible world of Zalanthas.

Sounds much more fun to me.

January 28, 2009, 12:46:57 AM #71 Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:01:04 AM by Bebop
My fifteen minute jpg attempt at a more "flashy" webpage.

Banners and updates could be added at the space at the bottom.

Disclaimer:  Art is that of Defunct and Goodbit from Original Submissions.

Full view:

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc267/yomparhere/?action=view&current=webpage5.jpg

When shrunk the stuff got a little blurry but you get the idea.

:o
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

January 28, 2009, 01:31:35 AM #73 Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:33:18 AM by number13
QuoteArmaggedon MUD is the ongoing story of a barren land desiccated by cursed magick.  Two opposing city-states loom over the wastes -- between them scattered outposts and tribes fend for survival.  Over the past ten years, the story of Armaggedon has been advanced thanks to the contributions of hundreds of players.

A game like no other, Armaggedon features intense mandatory role-play in the cutthroat world of Zalanthas.  Experience life as a hard-scrabbling hunter, a savvy merchant, a grizzled mercenary, a desperate criminal, a vicious noble, a hated magicker, or a thousand other roles.  Be forewarned -- Zalanthas is an unforgiving place. Death is permanent. Murder, theft, and other crimes are not restricted by artificial rules, but via enforcement of the city-state's laws. Actions have very real consequences for your character and the world.

Documentation for new players is available on the link below.  Click here to open Armageddon's free telnet application or use your on MUD Client by logging on to www.armageddon.org at port 4050 to create your account.

After you've logged into Armageddon the game will take you through the steps to create your character.  To ensure our high level of role-play your character will have to be approved.  Applications are usually approved within twenty four hours.  Once approved begin the life of your character and enjoy unrestricted travel through the dangerous and incredible world of Zalanthas.

If you do not yet have a MUD client, the following are recommended: blah blah blah.  Armaggeddon is a heavily modified DIKU Mud.  The original DIKU mud was created by blah bah blah.

I'd also include a nice side-bar of links to some very fluffy descriptions of Allanak, Tuluk, the Rinth, Luirs, the Tablelands, etc. etc. along with pictures.  A link on the side bar also features some examples of play mined from the best of the logs.

I stopped reading half way through the first page.  I think your perception of the data is skewed.  I yawn at you.  Really play the game if you want others to play with you.  That is all.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.