Crafting and Stamina

Started by Chettaman, January 16, 2009, 01:26:46 PM

Um... hm.... 20 boxes per RL week (per reboot)...

204 Zalanthan days and you make 20 boxes during this time... one box per 10 ten days. Doesn't seem to be a large issue.

Yes, I know, that's not counting the time we're logged off, but, really, the character doesn't cease to exist while we're logged off.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

1. I wasn't talking about that magnitude of delay, with regards to an increased delay. Here's more what I had in mind:

craft thing
you can make one widget
you can make a couple of widgets
you can make a handful of widgets.

craft thing into one
You begin crafting.
You have time for one emote, and then - you have a nice pretty blue widget.

craft thing into couple
You begin crafting.
You are JUST about to hit the enter key one your first emote, but you fail, and end up only making one widget, ruining the rest of your thing.

craft thing into handful
You begin crafting.
You have time to pump out at least two really awesome emotes about how you're carefully dipping the thing into a box of dyed water to make it blue, then cracking it into smaller pieces, and carving each one up. You also have enough time to type "smile" because you're so damned proud of yourself.
And then, you have a handful of widgets!

As for the 20 boxes, I was talking about bringing as many boxes as you can actually strap on however mounts you and your noob minions are capable of handling, at one time, in a single trip, between reboots. You might have 5 trips, with 20 boxes each. 20 was an arbitrary number. Make up a different one, it wasn't intended to be the subject of nitpicking.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Rather than something that inherently changes how crafting working, how about a new crafting verb.

Ecraft (or something like it) would take all the usual arguments for a craft verb.  It would also take an emote string, and have some kind of additional separator for an emote. 

ecraft diamond gold into ring while

Ecraft might double the RT for that craft, with the emit in the middle of the time period.
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

I think you're exaggerating about the magnitude of the spam-crafting that goes on in the game, Lizzie.

Just because somebody has that many objects to sell after a reboot doesn't necessarily mean they were spamcrafted. Especially these days, when reboots have been more than two weeks between sometimes. You can make two or three boxes per RL day that you play and still easily have twenty to sell for the weekly reboot.

I don't consider that 'spamcrafting' at all.

The same argument could be made for foraging--I've gone into shops and seen somebody walk in, sell five of a foraged item, and leave. But it's quite possible to find five of the same forageable thing in between reboots without foraging for more than ten minutes a day, so it's a little condescending to just assume that because somebody has five things to sell, it means they were spam-foraging.

Besides, my point stands: spamcrafting does exist, yes, but I don't think it's running rampant and almost every crafter PC I've ever encountered has used quite a bit of emoting to drag out their crafting process without needing artificial delays.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Indeed. I think Lizzie might of exaggerated a bit as well. But I'm not concerned so much, with the rate of things being sold. I just thought it would be cool to coded-ly get tired from crafting. I myself, have noticed the incredible amount of responsiblity shown by the players that I come in contact with, regarding how much they make and how much of it they sell. But I also havn't come into contact with every player out there. So I couldn't really say if spam crafting was having a huge effect on the economy.

mostly forage is a neccessity for crafting. So spam-crafting would require spam-foraging. But if I were a stone-crafter, and that was my life. I would be looking for rocks all day and then work those rocks into finished products for people to buy, so I could survive to do the same thing the next day.

But like I said, I just thought it would be cool to get tired, or at least not regen while crafting some things. This might even inspire some to take their materials into safe places to craft instead of crafting right where they find the materials.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors