Sigh

Started by Chettaman, January 16, 2009, 12:25:42 AM

>Sigh
You sigh.

This is an action? Why can't we emote while doing it?
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

It's called a "social" in mudding.  Basically a stock emote.

I like it in there. It's a reflex to type >sigh than >semote sighs.

I'm wondering what "yawn" echoes, though :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I never use them. For me it's the opposite reaction. I always type "emo sighs.".
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

January 16, 2009, 01:40:12 AM #4 Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:41:53 AM by Zoltan
Quote from: musashi on January 16, 2009, 01:34:39 AM
I never use them. For me it's the opposite reaction. I always type "emo sighs.".

Ah, the "emo sigh", after which you update your LiveJournal and listen to some My Chemical Romance.

EDIT: To actually add something relevant, I don't like the stock socials, and never use them. They just feel... weird. Why use them, when we got such a ridiculously versatile emoting code?
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

well, the echo you get for yawning is nice.

I think if you >frown it returns something like, "What's bothering you?"

And of course, while we're talking about socials, I think everyone has done the

k beetle
You kiss him.

think Krath damnit!!!
You think: Krath damnit!!!

kill beetle
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Yeah, I'd rather k not be an alias for kill. But it's much better to accidentally kiss someone, than to kill them, when your finger slips a key when you're trying to look at them.

January 16, 2009, 03:16:08 AM #8 Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:18:35 AM by Rhyden
Quote from: Help Files"Socials     (Communication)

The set of 'social' commands are generally used to express some emotion or perform some gesture. Under certain circumstances, some may have other applications as well. A fairly comprehensive (but not necessarily complete) list of these commands is provided below.

Please note that you are highly encouraged to develop your own personal idioms and gestures, rather than relying solely on the 'standard socials.' The emote and pemote commands make a nearly unlimited range of mannerisms, expressions, and actions possible. For those you wish to employ frequently, repetition may be facilitated through use of the alias command.

bite    chuckle    cough    frown    grin    hug
   kiss    laugh    nod    shake    shrug    sigh
   smile    snicker    spit    wave    whistle    wink
   yawn

Note:
    On Armageddon MUD, many of the standard socials have been removed, to
    encourage players to create their own gestures through use of the emote and
    pemote command.

Examples:
    > shake
    You shake your head.

> shake bram
    You shake his hand.

edit: I didn't even know half of these existed.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 16, 2009, 02:59:21 AM
Yeah, I'd rather k not be an alias for kill. But it's much better to accidentally kiss someone, than to kill them, when your finger slips a key when you're trying to look at them.
Haha, I love how the "k man" is always a good indicator of who's new to the game when sparring. I actually did it about 3 times with my first guy. Many other RPI MUDs return "If you want to kill, type 'kill'"

Standard socials are good for people who are getting used to the high-emoting system of Arm, though. And I use "nod man" a lot; much faster than typing "semote nods slowly to ~man".

Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

January 16, 2009, 09:29:02 AM #10 Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:34:19 AM by Morgenes
Just a side note on this conversation.  We have these in Arm 2, but they're called canned emotes.  Like all other commands you can use command emotes with them, so you can do:

>nod -sadly
Sadly, you nod.

> sigh [and shakes ^me head slowly]
You sigh, and shake your head slowly.

> spit (turning away from ~elf)
Turning away from the filthy elf, you spit on the ground.

They are there for convenience sake, and I think the addition of command emotes to them will breath a little life into them.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 16, 2009, 09:29:02 AM
Like all other commands you can use command emotes with them, so you can do:

What about adverbial socials?

> stealthily kiss beetle
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 16, 2009, 09:41:48 AM
Quote from: Morgenes on January 16, 2009, 09:29:02 AM
Like all other commands you can use command emotes with them, so you can do:

What about adverbial socials?

> stealthily kiss beetle

We haven't done that, but I suppose we could make it so it works like emote, so a stealthily adverbial command would make it a hidden emote.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Personally. If that is at 'all' a time consuming a task, why do it? There 'is' such a thing as an emote command, it alone trumps all of the canned types

Bah, socials are wyn. Quick, convenient, and to the point. Thanks for not eradicating them all.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I usually do the quick ones like nod, smile, yawn, shrug. Sometimes, I really prefer a fast reply. The main reason I didn't start playing RPIs 5 years ago was because I was sick of all the people writing long, long emotes and taking literally 2 minutes to do it. A simple "nod man" and "shrug -casually" can be done in half a second and gets the point right across.

January 17, 2009, 12:48:56 AM #16 Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:02:17 AM by FantasyWriter
>snore
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I like having the option for canned emotes and writing up more detailed ones. Sometimes it's nice to just do a simple action real quick.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on January 17, 2009, 02:10:22 AM
I like having the option for canned emotes and writing up more detailed ones. Sometimes it's nice to just do a simple action real quick.
>nod jhunter
Quote from: Rahnevyn
QuoteWhat is the difference between a Highlord and Overlord?
OLs are like HLs on steroids. They make the Really Big Decisions that affect the course of the entire game.

I like having a canned emote for nods or chu or whatever.

I miss the 'frolic' social from other muds.

frolic templar

-WP skips and dances around with a looming, unhappy Templar, thinking of happy things.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I hope the list stays short, and they all have nothing to do with actually touching people. I hated the IRE canned emotes like snuggle.

> snuggle evilguy

> You snuggle up close to evilguy affectionately.

Now that I think about it, a lot of them were very encouraging of furry-type behavior.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Besides, currently, Socials are the only thing that shows up with the watch direction command. So use them more!

Odd that emotes do not. Ever sit there hidden a couple rooms away watching 2 PCs do nothing at all then one nods then nothing at all?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on January 17, 2009, 01:02:25 PM
Besides, currently, Socials are the only thing that shows up with the watch direction command. So use them more!

Odd that emotes do not. Ever sit there hidden a couple rooms away watching 2 PCs do nothing at all then one nods then nothing at all?
They really should show up with the watch command.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

They are not the only things that don't, but I'll stick with bugging them IG.

Oh, command socials in arm2...sweet.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Is Friday on January 17, 2009, 01:05:28 PM
Quote from: X-D on January 17, 2009, 01:02:25 PM

They really should show up with the watch command.

Yeah... I think speaking should show up as well, not the words of course. You should be able to see two people having a conversation in the room over even if you can't hear them.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.