Names and Keywords of characters long gone

Started by Incognito, January 14, 2009, 01:40:05 PM

Would it be feasible to request Staff to consider a time limit (in RL terms), after which, a player may be allowed to use a name or keyword of a past character, for a new character.

Often we end up adding multiple keywords to a single character, or, we use ic nicknames instead of the real names of the characters. There are also those times when a player adds multiple keywords to the character, and doesnt even end up using them ICLY, during the entire life of the character.

It seems a tad bit too much, to disallow all names and keywords used on all previous characters.

Perhaps the Staff might consider linking it to the Karma of the Account, i.e.
0-2 Karma - player must wait 2 RL years to re-use any names/keywords.
2-6 Karma - player must wait 1 RL year to re-use any names/keywords.
7 and above - player may re-use name/keywords at will.
** Of course this is just an example**

Since the Staff has entrusted an Account with certain Karma, I am hoping the Player in question can be trusted to use their judgement of when sufficient time has passed to re-use a name/keyword, or, if they should re-use the name/keyword at all (in cases where the name/keyword is too well-known or would cause other IC complications).

The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Huh?

I think it's only the actual name of the character that can't be re-used, and it's a technical problem rather than a policy problem.

I'm not sure why the reuse of names and keywords would be a problem.
I also think we'd run out of choice words for sdescs almost immediately.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Apologies.

You are able to past keywords. Just not the character names.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Also, it's only the past names of your characters that you can't reuse.  It is most definitely possible for two characters of two different players to have the same name, and they can even be alive at the same time.

Quote from: staggerlee on January 14, 2009, 01:47:43 PM
I'm not sure why the reuse of names and keywords would be a problem.
I also think we'd run out of choice words for sdescs almost immediately.

Granted that its not a big deal....

Brainfart at 2am....

edited to add: Lockdown plz?