He looks like he's gonna pass out.... Wait, I can't codedly know that. D:

Started by Qzzrbl, January 11, 2009, 12:35:29 PM

We can look or assess another character and get a rough idea of about where there HP is at.

Same with Stamina, we can look or assess and see about how tired they look.

It'd be neat if I could look or assess about where someone's Stun points are at.

The tall muscular man is in excellent condition.
The tall muscular man is completely rested.
The tall muscular man is completely alert.

After a spar/fight/hunt

The tall muscular man is in moderate condition.
The tall muscular man is exhausted.
The tall muscular man is slightly/very dazed or near unconscious.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

And though it's only for a moment, a similar status when someone's dazed from a heavy blow.
* Naja Salaheem: Forever! Always! Until death! You mercenaries are my pawns.

Quote from: Prince Prig on January 11, 2009, 01:05:34 PM
And though it's only for a moment, a similar status when someone's dazed from a heavy blow.
That's when someone 'reels' from a blow.

You can generally assume that an attack that makes someone 'reel' does atleast 20-40 stun damage.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I don't think this will work as long as stun is used for psionics. If that was changed and stun was only indicative of how much you had been physically beaten up, I wouldn't be against it.

Quote from: Good Gortok on January 11, 2009, 03:01:39 PM
I don't think this will work as long as stun is used for psionics. If that was changed and stun was only indicative of how much you had been physically beaten up, I wouldn't be against it.

You don't think you get dazed before you nearly pass out from psionic usage?

If you could tell roughly how much stun someone had left, suddenly the thug subclass would become immensely more popular.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 11, 2009, 04:07:59 PM
If you could tell roughly how much stun someone had left, suddenly the thug subclass would become immensely more popular.

Just as the warrior and assassin classes became immensely popular when we could roughly tell how much HP someone has? Or how raiders became popular when we could roughly tell how much stamina someone has?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on January 11, 2009, 08:11:09 PM

Just as the warrior and assassin classes became immensely popular when we could roughly tell how much HP someone has? Or how raiders became popular when we could roughly tell how much stamina someone has?

Straw man. Sap is the skill in question which is rather unique in that it does a lot of damage very quickly to a stat that is affected by other non-combat means.

You don't lose HP by sitting at the bar talking to people in your head.

Quote from: Yam on January 11, 2009, 08:15:55 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on January 11, 2009, 08:11:09 PM

Straw man. Sap is the skill in question which is rather unique in that it does a lot of damage very quickly to a stat that is affected by other non-combat means.

You don't lose HP by sitting at the bar talking to people in your head.

Mm... Wasn't any more of a straw man than what Synthesis said though. -shrug-

::EDIT:: You generally don't run the risk of people sapping you while you're sitting at the bar with people in your head neither.

Crim code and all that.... Y'know.

I'm neither for nor against, though I see no real gains for implementing it. People would never go somewhere unsafe if their stun was low.

Accidentally knocking someone out suddenly and then bashing their skull in to the Mantis Head is never fun.

Especially if you liked the person.

That's what I'd mostly use it for at least.

Quote from: Qzzrbl
Mm... Wasn't any more of a straw man than what Synthesis said though. -shrug-

::EDIT:: You generally don't run the risk of people sapping you while you're sitting at the bar with people in your head neither.

Crim code and all that.... Y'know.

Skill Sap  (Combat)

This skill entails sneaking up on an opponent and rapping them soundly on the head, with the intent of knocking them out.

Syntax:
    sap <character name>

Examples:
    > sap haldol

> sap noble

Notes:
    It is possible to sap fighting victims.

You must always use a 'bludgeoning' weapon to sap.

[b]    Sap is an excellent method of attack if one's presence ought to be
    unnoticed by soldiers of city-states. (Of course, the ensuing fight can
    attract attention.)[/b]

Delay:
    before

I bolded the relevant parts. Sap is a lot like backstab in that if you get off a 1-hit-KO, the guards don't seem to notice.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on January 11, 2009, 08:43:42 PM
Accidentally knocking someone out suddenly and then bashing their skull in to the Mantis Head is never fun.

That's not your fault, that's theirs. There's a reason why you can see your own stun points.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 11, 2009, 08:52:20 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on January 11, 2009, 08:43:42 PM

That's not your fault, that's theirs. There's a reason why you can see your own stun points.

Even so, I've always thought it was kinda funny to gauge how wounded/tired someone was, but have no indicators whatsoever that they're on the verge of collapse from low Stun.

And as far as people getting 1-hit sapped by an unhidden character with the thug subclass in the middle of a crowded bar with no guards noticing whatsoever, that sounds like an issue more with the crim-code than anything else.

While I'll agree that it's realistic which is why I'm for it, I can only see it detracting from the fun of the game because of this:

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 11, 2009, 08:38:24 PM
People would never go somewhere unsafe if their stun was low.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 11, 2009, 09:49:34 PM
While I'll agree that it's realistic which is why I'm for it, I can only see it detracting from the fun of the game because of this:

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 11, 2009, 08:38:24 PM
People would never go somewhere unsafe if their stun was low.

Hm.... Define "unsafe" places?

City streets at night?

Desert wastes?

These places could stand a little reinforcement to the threats they pose.

At least that's how I see it.

If you're at the bar and your stun is low from all of your Waysexxing, but you've gotta jet to your apartment for some steamy mudsexx late at night, it doesn't really take -that- long to sit and regen your stun.

The only reason people frequent these "unsafe" places like they do now is because they're well.... Safe.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 11, 2009, 10:50:13 PM
No, no they aren't.

I beg to differ.

But again, different topic entirely.

Waiting two or three minutes to regen their stun to go out somewhere where the chances of being sapped are relatively low wouldn't make the idea unplayable by any means.

You wouldn't walk out into unsafe streets and deserts when you were about to pass out from Way usage, would you?

I wouldn't, whether people could see it or not.