Elves and stealing

Started by SMuz, January 07, 2009, 01:38:13 AM

Ok, from the docs, I understand that elves like to steal. They like things that belong to other people just for the sake of it. Conning is also good stealing.

But does mugging count as stealing? Or knocking out/killing people, then taking their stuff? Heh, it would be fun to have an elf who mugs a guy, and then goes "Hey, I got it!", runs around like crazy, then tosses all the stolen equipment out in the next room :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on January 07, 2009, 01:38:13 AM
Ok, from the docs, I understand that elves like to steal. They like things that belong to other people just for the sake of it. Conning is also good stealing.

But does mugging count as stealing? Or knocking out/killing people, then taking their stuff? Heh, it would be fun to have an elf who mugs a guy, and then goes "Hey, I got it!", runs around like crazy, then tosses all the stolen equipment out in the next room :P
I wouldn't recommend trying to knock out people for quite some time.  It's a quick way to the mantis head.

But yes, I believe elves get a bonus to stealing.

JaRoD

I haven't read the docs too thoroughly, but it's late and I'm curious. Is it possible for an elf to -Hate- stealing in the traditional sense, and only focus on, say, the merchanting version or the con-man approach?
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Absolutely. The definition of stealing is one that varies from elven culture to elven culture. It -always- involves some form of obtaining what isn't yours, but it most certainly doesn't have to be slipping things from people's pockets.

You don't even have to directly benefit. You can just make sure that the other person loses something, from belongings to status to rank to life and more ... if other people are losing, and you are making that happen, you are a happy little elf.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Stealing is...an art form, an essential part of life to the elves. They get to stick it to the Man, and the Man is anyone not in their tribe. They steal from 'roundears'. They steal from other elves not in their tribe. They steal.

That isn't to say every elf grabs things and runs. Or raids. Some elves might actually look down on those methods of stealing. After all, there's a certain ...well, status to being able to convince some roundear he needs what you're selling and getting him to pay a high price to get said item.

It's all about the bragging rights. If your elf specializes in convincing half giants to give away pocketsfull of sid to him or her for a bit of stone grabbed off the desert, well, then, you're a good thief. If you can manage to take a rider's mount as 'tribute' upon finding him in your usual hunting territory, you're a good thief. If you can overcharge for product X when you do trading, you're a good thief.

It doesn't have to be all about snatching out of pockets. Or even raiding.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Stealing is a way of life, a part of the elven psyche, deeply ingrained into their culture.

If elves are around and there's anything which isnt bolted down, locked or immovable, chances are you won't be seeing it again.

However, the thing to remember is - elves think differently from most races, insomuch that they pride themselves more on the magnitude of the con - and possibly less on the item in question itself.

For example, Elf-A could steal a magnificent weapon from a sleeping roundear while Elf-B could steal a small glow crystal from the clutches of an Allanaki noble, in the middle of a tavern in broad daylight. When their stories would be recounted between other elves, Elf-B's deed would be lauded more.

The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Let's try not to put these all in black and white terms. Elves steal, but not in absolute terms.

I think most elves would be happy if they thought they were getting more than their worth. Whether if it's as a merchant, haggling to the lowest price. Or a sellsword who picks his battles. (there really needs to be more options for city-elf warriors)

These are just a few examples, but I think the sneaky-tall-figure-in-a-dark-hooded-cloak stereotype get's played way too much.

QuoteIf elves are around and there's anything which isnt bolted down, locked or immovable, chances are you won't be seeing it again.

This may be true, but elves aren't kenders. They'll only grab something if they think they can get away with it. And the smart ones will be very wary about causing any trouble by it.

Anyways, the best part about playing elves is actually convincing people that you aren't a scoundral when in fact you have no intention other than ripping them off.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on January 07, 2009, 03:06:12 PM
Let's try not to put these all in black and white terms. Elves steal, but not in absolute terms.

I think most elves would be happy if they thought they were getting more than their worth. Whether if it's as a merchant, haggling to the lowest price. Or a sellsword who picks his battles. (there really needs to be more options for city-elf warriors)

These are just a few examples, but I think the sneaky-tall-figure-in-a-dark-hooded-cloak stereotype get's played way too much.

QuoteIf elves are around and there's anything which isnt bolted down, locked or immovable, chances are you won't be seeing it again.

This may be true, but elves aren't kenders. They'll only grab something if they think they can get away with it. And the smart ones will be very wary about causing any trouble by it.

Anyways, the best part about playing elves is actually convincing people that you aren't a scoundral when in fact you have no intention other than ripping them off.

You may wanna refer to the Elven Roleplay helpfiles at http://www.armageddon.org/rp/racial/elven.html

I paste some relevant parts:

Theft is desirable simply because it is. If an elf sees something that belongs to someone else, and provides moderate challenge for them, they want to take it - simply for the sake of taking it. They may even discard it later. They may never tell a soul about it (although because of the respect it garners, they would tell tribemates or those in their tribeless social circle). They simply take it for the sake of the act itself.

Now, one way that theft is not like art for elves is that all elves love it. This might help you understand how elven society perceives theft.

The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Taking can, well, take a lot of forms.

January 07, 2009, 03:45:17 PM #9 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:48:43 PM by Jingo
Quote from: Incognito on January 07, 2009, 03:20:09 PM
Quote from: Jingo on January 07, 2009, 03:06:12 PM

You may wanna refer to the Elven Roleplay helpfiles at http://www.armageddon.org/rp/racial/elven.html

I paste some relevant parts:

Theft is desirable simply because it is. If an elf sees something that belongs to someone else, and provides moderate challenge for them, they want to take it - simply for the sake of taking it. They may even discard it later. They may never tell a soul about it (although because of the respect it garners, they would tell tribemates or those in their tribeless social circle). They simply take it for the sake of the act itself.

Now, one way that theft is not like art for elves is that all elves love it. This might help you understand how elven society perceives theft.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that most elves value their lives and their fingers more than any scam. Like I said, they'll only do it if they think they can get away from it and even then they might realize that it's not such a good idea.

Though while not visable in the city-states, I want to point out that some elves serve as law enforcement in Redstorm and Kurac. I have a feeling that they wouldn't be in those positions if they actually stole at every single oppurtunity.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.