I want to hit you in the face.

Started by Lakota, January 06, 2009, 09:33:28 PM

Very simple.

Code the face as an area able to be hit in combat. Give face-guards armor identifiers and have checks against fighting bracers (i.e., the ability to block a wrist razor if your face-guard catches the brunt of it).

That is all.

Yeah. I've never seen the point of face-guards, etc. since the face isn't a strike-able location, except for wrist razors which always seem to catch you across the face. :P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Well, I just find it unrealistic that wrist razors and fighting gloves always tag you in the face, even when you have protective face-guards/masks on. I'd just like the added ability to block those strikes now and then, since they can take off nice little chunks of hp per strike.

I know another game which allows the face as a hittable area. Good idea. No balance problem either.. except that a lot of people won't have face guards when it's first implemented.

The face should have a rather low chance of being hit, otherwise every experienced warrior would have a few scars on their faces.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Not bad. I like it. However, I would simply like to see it implemented as a strikeable location period. By all weapons.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on January 06, 2009, 10:52:48 PM
Not bad. I like it. However, I would simply like to see it implemented as a strikeable location period. By all weapons.
Face is the new neck.

The tall, muscular man chops you on the face, doing horrendous damage!
You reel from the blow!
Your vision goes black!
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Just get of the wrist-razors and anakore-claw gloves.

They're stupid and annoying.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Not if you're the one wearing them.  :P

Quote from: Lakota on January 06, 2009, 11:17:08 PM

This. For some of us, even being guild_warrior doesn't mean we can really kill anyone. If we can't hit hard enough, or if the opponent dodges too much, getting that extra 6 or 7 hp taken off every few rounds can be infinitely helpful.

And it isn't like they hit ALL the time. I've missed quite a few times.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 06, 2009, 11:10:25 PM
Just get of the wrist-razors and anakore-claw gloves.

They're stupid and annoying.
Fuck that.

I don't think the face should be a new strikeable location.

Just give faceguards the ability to protect against wrist-razors, etc.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Riev on January 07, 2009, 12:20:24 AM
Quote from: Lakota on January 06, 2009, 11:17:08 PM

This. For some of us, even being guild_warrior doesn't mean we can really kill anyone. If we can't hit hard enough, or if the opponent dodges too much, getting that extra 6 or 7 hp taken off every few rounds can be infinitely helpful.

And it isn't like they hit ALL the time. I've missed quite a few times.

The fact that those wrist razors hit you, no matter how good your shield or parry is, once got a warrior of mine killed when fighting a bunch of mobs that wore them.

That was really frustrating.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on January 07, 2009, 12:43:17 AM
I don't think the face should be a new strikeable location.

Just give faceguards the ability to protect against wrist-razors, etc.

This.

I've long been a proponent of having those sorts of gloves and bracers removed from the game, as well.

If someone's fast enough to be consistently dodging assaults from your weapon, then it seems a little odd that you can tag them in the face with a pair of gloves or with a bracer.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on January 07, 2009, 04:57:41 AM
I've long been a proponent of having those sorts of gloves and bracers removed from the game, as well.

If someone's fast enough to be consistently dodging assaults from your weapon, then it seems a little odd that you can tag them in the face with a pair of gloves or with a bracer.
"A man's past is not simply a dead history... it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavours and the tinglings of a merited shame."
-George Eliot

I wouldn't want to see them gone, as they're pretty cool! But I would rather their chance to hit you be based on the attacker's offense, checked against the other person's defense + defense skill.

If this is how it is already, yay!

If not, I'd like to see it be that way.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Yes, I'd like to be able to hit people in the face.

Yes, I'd like more checks to go into certain offensive wristwear and gloves.

Quote from: musashi on January 07, 2009, 05:35:51 AM
But I would rather their chance to hit you be based on the attacker's offense, checked against the other person's defense + defense skill.

I'm not certain if a target's defense is checked against the razors, though I am almost certain that the wearer's offense is what determines if the razor hits/misses.

This is why wearing razors becomes a problem once you're a 100 day warrior. You may not be able to hit that gaj, but you can sure as hell wear it down with a thousand strikes from your offensive gear.

If face armor had the chance to block said strikes, though, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with them.

I do admit, that maybe combat armor should have a few more checks to it, maybe just raw offense and defense? Or would there still be an issue with really old warriors being able to wear people down based on offense alone?

How would you all propose the code be changed so that combat armor were more "balanced"? If you wear a face shield, does an obsidian mask protect too?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I think it'd be easier to change the effect emotes of wrist razors to not just hit people strictly in the face.
Every shmuck in the game would wear a face shield just to counter wrist razors, and that's just dumb.
Who would you kill for a klondike bar?

January 07, 2009, 06:49:00 PM #19 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:51:49 PM by Tlaloc
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Also, I would probably just make 'face' a part of the 'head' location. If a strike is to land on the head, have it roll a % to determine if the shot is a 'face' shot or not. In other words if I score a good enough shot to hit you in the head, the game rolls a 1/3 chance (for example) of echoing a face shot or not. Maybe chances for face shots increase depending on the weapons you're using (maybe its easier to face shot someone with a spear, for example), and/or maybe there's a better chance of giving your opponent a cool scar on a hit to the face.

Edited to add: great idea on adding 'face' as a hit location. However, I think wrist razors/fighting claws/etc. are too cool/useful as a game item to get rid of entirely.
Tlaloc
Legend

Yes, those messages could be changed to be far more generic. The smirking and such has no place in the script. Likewise, the location of the hit is certainly something that could be done away with.

I dunno, I always kind of liked the smirking. And if the messages get too generic, then the novelty of the items sort of wears out - but I can see your point. As for removing the hit locations - on that I definitely disagree. So what if it says I hit you in the face while you were wearing a face-guard? The game also says I stabbed you in the chest, while you were wearing an obsidian breastplate. I think it's okay to allow for a little mental leeway with things like that. Maybe the the impact of my wrist-razor is pounding your chitin face-visor in to your lips, and that's what's cutting you? Maybe my anakore claw gloves are uppercutting you under the chin, where your face-guard isn't covering your face?
Tlaloc
Legend

Nah. You can make a message generic without lose atmosphere. For instance:

You lash out with a pair of fuzzy lolcat-clawed gloves and slice the grinning mul.
Moving sideways, a lanky gith avoids your jab at it.
Moving back a half-cord, a lanky gith avoids your jab at it.
You strike a grinning silt horror with your lolcat-claws, but not hard enough to hurt it.

It doesn't say where. It doesn't say how. It's generic, and perfectly open-ended. And it provides atmosphere.

Quote from: Tlaloc on January 07, 2009, 07:02:55 PM
The game also says I stabbed you in the chest, while you were wearing an obsidian breastplate.

Half of the armor in the game has incorrect armor modifiers also in comparison to leathers, but that's another story.

I believe face-guards do add some sort of protection to your head.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on January 07, 2009, 06:49:12 PM
Yes, those messages could be changed to be far more generic. The smirking and such has no place in the script. Likewise, the location of the hit is certainly something that could be done away with.

I hate the smirking! Especially when it's my character doing it.

Quote from: Yokunama on January 07, 2009, 07:52:01 PM
I believe face-guards do add some sort of protection to your head.

Urban myth.

I've seen fights completely decided on those bracers/gloves.  I don't think they should be removed, but I would agree an alteration is in order.

The target's skill and armor appears to have no influence on your ability to succesfully hit them with a razor item. I'd like this to change. If you're not skilled enough to hit them with a weapon, you're not gonna get them with little razors on your wrists. Items like these should never be the determining factor in a fight, and in fact I thoroughly dislike the way they work, but with the great defense nerf, at least it doesn't seem possible to become such a defensive powerhouse that highly skilled compatants literally cannot hit eachother. One of the instances where I was most embarrassed on behalf of Armageddon's often questionable code was back when two super warriors couldn't land any hits on eachother and I saw one beat another simply because he had some spiked gloves on.

Ideally, I would like to see an in-combat command called strike which would let you perform some sort of ordinary non-weapon attack, with a significant delay, the success determined only by your offense skill vs. their defensive measures, and doable by all classes. Razor items could then enhance this attack. This would also give non-warriors something to do during combat, and would put some credibility into the part of the documentation which states that certain fighting styles allow for attacks with the hands. I don't like how razor-wearing characters just magically get an extra method of attack, nor how it has made such items artificially valuable for entirely OOC reasons.