Notability of MUDs in general; Armageddon in specific

Started by Rahnevyn, January 06, 2009, 03:05:20 PM

January 09, 2009, 01:08:05 AM #25 Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:23:32 AM by staggerlee
Quote from: SMuz on January 09, 2009, 12:35:23 AM
I'd like to see Richard Bartle talk out on the issue. I'm sure he could lecture long enough about it.. and with all his talk about how modern MMOs should have player death, I'm sure he'll love Armageddon if he doesn't already.

I don't think I'd enjoy a mmorpg with player death.

Wikipedia has an article on wargames. Who plays wargames anymore? It even has a long article on the Zip drive, which doesn't even have any historical or practical significance, aside from failing. MUDs are a significant part of multiplayer RPG history and people still play them.

Arm has always been out there. It's spread almost purely by word of mouth and quite a lot of people who enter stay. I think if any MUDs would survive a major MUD wipeout, it's Arm. And maybe DartMUD, Shattered Kingdoms, Treshold, Firan, GodWars, Shattered Kingdoms, The Eternal City, and one of those furry ones for Krath knows why.

Independently published sources, it's a citation issue, not a matter of value or significance. Your answer and solution are in my previous comments.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

MMO with player death wouldn't last long - unless making characters was easy as taking a crap. But I don't think I'd enjoy it either. It would be like runescape on diablo's hardcore difficulty.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Well, Dr. Bartle did write a lot on player death. Basically, he summarizes it as one of those things gamers either love or hate, but without it, there won't ever be any achievement in the game. Ever since playing Arm, I've stopped playing non-PD games. The grinding on non-PD games is just too boring and time-wasting to be fun.

Anyway, I've recently noticed that almost every single article that mentions RPI games always mention Armageddon. I think that should be more than enough to make Arm notable.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I think if any MUDs would survive a major MUD wipeout, it's Arm. And maybe DartMUD, Shattered Kingdoms, Treshold, Firan, GodWars, Shattered Kingdoms, The Eternal City, and one of those furry ones for Krath knows why.

I do not know why, I hate furries!
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on January 17, 2009, 02:21:33 PM
I think if any MUDs would survive a major MUD wipeout, it's Arm. And maybe DartMUD, Shattered Kingdoms, Treshold, Firan, GodWars, Shattered Kingdoms, The Eternal City, and one of those furry ones for Krath knows why.

I do not know why, I hate furries!

There is nothing sexier than an anthropomorphic catwoman with 8 boobies. 
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins