Headbutt, Doorbash

Started by askaran, January 04, 2009, 09:48:53 PM

Ok.. As ive played through the game Ive thought of these nifty skills that would have come in handy.. ALOT.. Doorbash which of course would be bashing in a door.. Great for half-giants and other strong types who dont have a key.. And Headbutt/Elbow.. Always thought those would be cool.. Like kick.. What do you guys think?
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

I've always emoted headbutting people when I bashed them (or sometimes emoted using my shield to slam them down).

Elbow seems to be a stock Diku/CircleMUD skill.

I used to pose using an elbow on someone now and then when using the 'kick' command. Since a dwarf kicking someone in the head is faintly farcial.

Maybe kick should be changed to "strike"?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Posted by: Ammut  
Insert Quote
QuoteElbow seems to be a stock Diku/CircleMUD skill

But its an awesome skill

the burly bynner lands a solid elbow to the janky gith's face, cracking bone
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

Quote from: Is Friday on January 04, 2009, 10:34:03 PM

That'd be nice. With random emits, similar to bar brawling.

Door-smashing is one of those things that's great in theory but would cause total hell in-game. At the moment, you have to be one of a few specific guilds to lockpick, lockpicks can be hard to come by, and the lockpicking skill is one that takes time to raise. Not that there's a huge barrier to picking locks, but there are some constraints which keep it to a manageable level.

If every Amos Bynner could kick in a door that'd be another matter. Sure, every Amos Bynner should be able to kick in a door, but we don't have NPCs that respond appropriately, VNPCs that respond appropriately, etc.

Doors need to remain relatively challenging obstacles to those they impede, or the ensuing chaos will harm playability.

Headbutt is kick, and we don't need another kick. Kick is already good enough at being kick.

"Strike" sounds a little too much like an unarmed fist attack to me.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 05, 2009, 01:26:36 AM

Elbow/knee/skull/shoulder.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on January 05, 2009, 01:36:54 AM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 05, 2009, 01:26:36 AM

Elbow/knee/skull/shoulder.

Those, I like ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I don't know why you couldn't code multiple strike options linked to a common kick-like skill.

So for instance, if you have this kick-like skill...you can...

kick target
elbow target
headbutt target

Each attack will have its own unique echoes...maybe its own little pluses and minuses...say stun damage (to both parties) from a headbutt...more lag/lower defense for the round for a kick...less lag for an elbow, but less damage as well.  Anyway, all of these would be linked to this kick-like skill.

The same could be said for the 'bash' set of skills.  There could be a bash-like skill under which you could:

trip target
charge target
tackle target

Again, all three types of attacks would be linked to the same skill, have its own pluses and minuses, have its own echoes, etc.  This way, you wouldn't have to bother with coding a bunch of separate skills...one skill, with a bunch of unique modifiers/emotes/etc. for each of the various subtypes of attacks.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

That would be cool. I'm always in favor of giving a bit more depth/love to the mundane classes' skill sets.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I like the idea. I've wanted to headbut people in battle for ages now.

The burly, slate-headed dwarf headbuts you in the groin, doubling you over in pain.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

I'm pretty sure if a HG or a pretty tough bynner wanted to take down a door by bashing it, they could wish up. The only problem I see in this is wait time affecting door-bashing crucial scenes.
Quote from: Scarecrow on February 21, 2014, 04:45:46 PMIn Zalanthas, people don't dig graves with shovels, they dig them with their own tongues.