Armageddon Slang

Started by Chronicle, December 29, 2008, 01:33:40 PM

I just had a moment at a bar where the modern-day slang was interpreted to mean something else. This makes it increasingly difficult to play a character who is trying to portray a typical Zalanthan speech, when everyone around you is laughing at what you say or raising their brows, or is affended when ITS MODERN DAY SLANG that gets interpreted instead of ZALANTHAN SPEECH! I mean I hear people come into the tavern all the time, sit down at the bar and go "What up people?" I mean come ON, is it just me? Am I missing something here? Is Zalanthas supposed to be a modern-day world with ebonics and slang? Even some nobles do it, it's really starting to irritate me.

We don't speak Sirihish.  Archiac colloquialisms are just as stupid as modern; except we live now, and not then.  Words capture ideas, if your perception of those ideas is in conflict with how you view the gameworld, send a complaint.  Personally, I'd rather have people 'wazzup', than break out their frying pan in a tavern any day.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

The dreadlock treesed man is reclined comfortably on the couch, a pipe in one hand and a brick of tho in the other.

Grinning widely and sticking out his tongue, the dreadlock tressed man says in northern accented sirihish,

"WAZZZUUUUP!"
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I do wish everyone would make the effort to use unique Zalanthan colloquialisms rather than modern day ones, but if someone does I don't typically give them a hard time about it.

I like atmospherics demonstrated by Zalanthan slang - using "wet" to mean good "chips" to mean money and all that.

I dislike when we use modern-day slang in our fantasy world.  It breaks the mood.  While we don't speak the language of our characters, we should communicate as our characters would communicate.  Not using "What up peps!"  Very lame.

And if you can't convince, them, show them another form of Zalanthan atmospherics - the sharp end of a dagger.

Perhaps we could compile a list of some OOCly unless it has been done already.  (i looked but could find one)

That way we are all on the same page as to their IC meaning.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Like when I was told to go and they would 'way me up' later. Also using the word 'cool'
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

Quote from: Chronicle on December 29, 2008, 01:33:40 PM
I just had a moment at a bar where the modern-day slang was interpreted to mean something else. This makes it increasingly difficult to play a character who is trying to portray a typical Zalanthan speech, when everyone around you is laughing at what you say or raising their brows, or is affended when ITS MODERN DAY SLANG that gets interpreted instead of ZALANTHAN SPEECH! I mean I hear people come into the tavern all the time, sit down at the bar and go "What up people?" I mean come ON, is it just me? Am I missing something here? Is Zalanthas supposed to be a modern-day world with ebonics and slang? Even some nobles do it, it's really starting to irritate me.

Agreed and supported.
Majikal Quote:
"I  came in a girls hair products when she was too drunk to finish blowing me... she still doesn't know. We're still friends."

You'll get over it.  ::)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.