Foraging

Started by Synthesis, December 29, 2008, 12:48:39 AM

Has anyone else noticed that, when your foraging skill starts to get really good, it starts getting a lot harder to find the "easy" stuff that you're looking for?

Kind of annoying when you're looking for chunks of granite and you keep ending up with gemstones.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

December 29, 2008, 01:25:38 AM #1 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:54:26 PM by Olgaris
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I know it's been brought up before.

I brought up the topic again to raise awareness of the situation, because these things have a tendency to be forgotten about.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Only one person in that thread liked my idea (Bushranger) but I still like it so I'll post it again here.

Make it so you can toggle the quality of stuff you're looking for.

I don't like the idea of only foraging for diamonds, or only foraging for alabaster. You won't always find diamonds, and sometimes you will find other things. In fact, because diamonds are so rare, you'll -probably- find other things during your search for diamonds. I think that's how it should be, I think it's working just fine. But.

If I'm only looking for low-quality common crap, I shouldn't have to junk or drop all kinds of really awesome stuff, just because my skill is high. So instead of the option of foraging for specific items, I'd like to be able to forage for "my own max level of stuff" or "midway level between noob and my max" and "noob level" stuff.

So if you toggle it to "forage level low" then you'll be finding only the same things that any noob can find when they're out there foraging. You'll find each item quicker - less delay. You'll also be more successful in finding things at all, than a noob. Because you -do- have a higher forage level than they do. But you -will- at least be able to find all the vines and pech grass and shards of flint for your flint-adorned grass skirt. You'll be able to do it faster than noobs, and more efficiently. And you won't have to feel like a moron for junking all those diamonds you keep finding, or leaving them for some twinky jeweler to get rich with :)

Forage level medium would set the "things your character can find" to medium, between their own max, and noob level. So if they're not that great to begin with, they'll only find stuff halway between "not so great" and "noob." If they're maxed foragers, they'll be halfway in the middle of the scale.

In summary, it would set the "list of things you can find" when foraging to your own current max, or midway between your own current max and noob, or noob. It would apply to whatever you're foraging, because it's setting it for the "forage" command, not for the "forage rocks" command.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I really don't have a problem with how it is now. srsly
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I like Lizzie's idea too, but I think it would make more sense if you were allows more specific arguments.

>Forage granite

You would have a MUCH less likely change of succeeding, but you would ONLY pick up granite, and not diamonds/alabaster/flint/agate/etc.

Seriously, it sucks having a ranger who grebs for contracts with the client wants cheap stuff.  I have had to sell expensive stuff and BUY cheap stuff before when this happens.  It just doesn't make IC sense.

Skill Forage (Perception)     

This skill allows your character to attempt to find things in the area that could be useful.

Currently rocks, stones, wood, branches, salt, food, mushrooms, roots, kindling, and artifacts are available arguments. Your chance of finding anything is dependent on the terrain, and your skill at foraging will affect your ability to find rare or especially useful things.

In the future, more things will be available to be foraged.

Syntax:
    forage rock(s)|stone(s)|wood|salt|artifact(s)|food|kindling

Note:
    What you may be able to find differs according to both your character's
    skill level and guild. For example, only rangers can forage for food.

Delay:
    before

Please make it so.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 29, 2008, 12:48:39 AM
Has anyone else noticed that, when your foraging skill starts to get really good, it starts getting a lot harder to find the "easy" stuff that you're looking for?

Haha, I hear you. About the only remedy I've found is foraging in places where you can't find gemstones, thereby limiting your return.

I'd rather just be able to gather more things than specifiy what I'm foraging.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

This question was asked by someone who was looking for twigs to make a campfire and ended up finding some other stuff.  Foraging for twigs was added after this post.

Maybe foraging for other materials could be added as well.
some of my posts are serious stuff

As a side note.  I'd like to see the larger versions of the more commonly used stones like flint, obsidian, and agate, foragable so that they can broken down into more readily usable pieces.  I understand that some of these exist in the game, but they are very uncomon finds.  In fact, they seem to be found only in the most inaccessable spaces.

Removed pointless snippiness.
You give your towering mound of dung to the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh.
the inordinately young-spirited Shalooonsh sends:
     "dude, how'd you know I was hungry and horny?"