Burning meat

Started by Salt Merchant, December 24, 2008, 05:34:49 AM

This is a suggestion that the chance of burning meat when trying to cook it be lower. A lot lower.

It just doesn't make sense that attempts to cook meat should fail so often.

How much skill does it take, after all? I remember cooking some pork chops successfully on my first attempt, without anyone watching over my shoulder.

I could understand a high failure rate when trying to cook up some special, complicated dish. But a simple steak should be... well, simple.
Lunch makes me happy.

Perhaps instead of having only pass and critical fail for meat, you could have a middle ground.
They, while being unappealing, would still hold the nutritional value of badly cooked pieces of meat.

a scorched, unseasoned piece of meat
a badly cooked steak
a undercooked erdlu breast

etc

The taste messages would be horrible, the selling value would be less than the raw meat, but they would still hold most of the nutrition of the cooked meats.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Parasites and sicknesses from certain raw/undercooked meats.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 24, 2008, 01:16:58 PM
Parasites and sicknesses from certain raw/undercooked meats.

I love it!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Maybe you can cook the undercooked erdlu breast again?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Burning meat is a lot harder in the modern world; stoves and ovens are designed to cook evenly.  Even on a grill, the charcoal we buy at the store is engineered to burn at a steady rate.

Cooking over wood or dung fires is a lot more chancy.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

December 24, 2008, 02:04:24 PM #6 Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 02:09:27 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Vanth on December 24, 2008, 01:59:15 PM
Burning meat is a lot harder in the modern world; stoves and ovens are designed to cook evenly.  Even on a grill, the charcoal we buy at the store is engineered to burn at a steady rate.

Cooking over wood or dung fires is a lot more chancy.

A wood fire isn't that variable. Mostly, a wood fire proceeds in the following way:

1. You start the fire. It flares up as more fuel catches.
2. It slowly dies down over time, with a few small flareups as some wood collapses and reveals new surfaces to burn.
3. You maintain the fire by adding a small pieces of wood.

If our ancestors burned meat the way Zalanthanians do, they'd likely have starved to death. Can you imagine pulling down an entire mammoth, getting only one piece of meat from skinning it, and then burning that at a fire?
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on December 24, 2008, 02:04:24 PM

If our ancestors burned meat the way Zalanthanians do, they'd likely have starved to death. Can you imagine pulling down an entire mammoth, getting only one piece of meat from skinning it, and then burning that at a fire?

NEW QUOTE.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I can, that is why all the mammoths died out, isn't it?

I'm definately more in favor of skill determining a range of fails/successes.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I think this is balanced by the fact you only need to eat like once every 3 IC days.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

December 24, 2008, 03:07:36 PM #10 Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:42:06 PM by musashi
Yeah Vanth, you know I love you (because I sent you kudos!) but ... trying to defend the crafting code on the basis that it's somehow even remotely close to realistic is a pretty steep up hill battle. I would think you're better off just saying: We don't want to make that code change until 2.arm.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Varying levels of success and quality will be something that is in 2.0.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on December 24, 2008, 03:13:24 PM
Varying levels of success and quality will be something that is in 2.0.

emo dances a happy jig!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

QuoteCooking over wood or dung fires is a lot more chancy.

I love Vanth too...but...LOL.

If cooking outdoors, I only use wood, Never charcoal, It is nasty, might as well cook inside. And the only time I burn something to a crisp is if I wander off to play football or something. Cooking by wood fire is simple and cooking by dung, if you do the research on that one, dung burns even lower and slower, nice and steady.

Morg has stated that there will be varying results in arm2...that rocks. But I tell you what bothers me most on arm1 cooking. That is the fact that some guilds have higher cooking caps then others. Not only does that make no sense at all to begin with. But the ones with the highest caps are the ones you would think would have the lowest. Go figure. Personaly I think they should all have the same, want higher, take house servant sub.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Personally, I've been surprised at how hard it is even for a ranger with what I can only imagine is max, or near max cooking, to repeatedly burn stuff.

I often think that meat should either be made easier to cook, or everyone's cooking cap should be raised.

OR

Make more items with bonuses to improve cooking skill.