Taming

Started by Lakota, December 21, 2008, 03:55:53 PM

I believe the ability to tame an animal is currently based off of your riding skill.

What do you think of allowing another way to tame an animal? Say, perhaps, by ensnaring them or simply muscling them down?

I ask this because desert elves have pack animals but no current way to acquire them aside from theft/purchasing one.

I'm in favor of a seperate "Taming" skill that would acomplish that.

The high-fantasy side of me would also like to see it at higher levels allow a PC to stand a chance of calming normally aggro animals, but I'm honestly not sure if that would be a bit much or not.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on December 21, 2008, 03:57:33 PM
I'm in favor of a seperate "Taming" skill that would acomplish that.

The high-fantasy side of me would also like to see it at higher levels allow a PC to stand a chance of calming normally aggro animals, but I'm honestly not sure if that would be a bit much or not.

It's been a few months since I've tamed an animal, but from what I remember that's basically what happens. You calm them down before hopping onto their back - the skill checks against your ride skill, though.

Sounds like a good thing to use the request tool for.

Spend a few IC months studying the behavior and routines of the local inix herd, then ask for a bump to your ride skill good enough to let you tame.

Alternatively, the code could be changed such that a failed tame attempt actually bumps your ride skill, so you could practice it like any other skill (assuming it doesn't work this way already).

Alternatively, taming could be made a separate skill that d-elf rangers start with and ordinary rangers branch from ride.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 21, 2008, 04:02:23 PM
Sounds like a good thing to use the request tool for.

Spend a few IC months studying the behavior and routines of the local inix herd, then ask for a bump to your ride skill good enough to let you tame.

You know, I actually considered doing that. I just was extremely doubtful staff would go for it.

Alternatively, the code could be changed such that a failed tame attempt actually bumps your ride skill, so you could practice it like any other skill (assuming it doesn't work this way already).

I do not thin it does, and yes, that would be great.

Alternatively, taming could be made a separate skill that d-elf rangers start with and ordinary rangers branch from ride.

Another good idea.

December 21, 2008, 04:27:28 PM #5 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:29:00 PM by FantasyWriter
I would assume that if you are right and taming comes from the ride skill, you can get better at taming my failing to tame.

A + to doing this as a delf is that you can pretty much outrun anything that attacks you when you fail.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 21, 2008, 04:27:28 PM
I would assume that if you are right and taming comes from the ride skill, you can get better at taming my failing to tame.

A + to doing this as a delf is that you can pretty much outrun anything that attacks you when you fail.

Ever tried taming an inix?

I have ... ouch.  :)

Quote from: Lakota on December 21, 2008, 04:34:19 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on December 21, 2008, 04:27:28 PM

Ever tried taming an inix?

Yes. I have had two ranger PCs who made their living doing so.
Even succeeded with an elf once (after failing about 30 times and nearly dieing several of those times.)

I also think that D-elves should get a very significant boost to ride to start with.
(or pick ranger, merchant, or one of the subguilds that gets a ride bonus if you plan on focusing on procuring pack mounts for your tribe)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: musashi on December 21, 2008, 04:36:22 PM
I have ... ouch.  :)

Exactly. Hell, even erdlu are tough as nails if you piss them off.

Quote from: Lakota on December 21, 2008, 03:55:53 PM
I believe the ability to tame an animal is currently based off of your riding skill.

What do you think of allowing another way to tame an animal? Say, perhaps, by ensnaring them or simply muscling them down?

I ask this because desert elves have pack animals but no current way to acquire them aside from theft/purchasing one.

While a good idea...not entirely probable. Muscling down - no way, that inix, erdlu, whatever is going to kick your ass. It's strong enough to carry you, isn't it? Ensnaring - again, no way...Can you imagine trying to mount a wild-caught animal? Unless you're like uber animal-friendly, not going to happen, and even then it would take a great deal of time.

I had no problem taming mounts with my d-elf. In fact, I don't think I ever failed. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade...but especially with d-elves there would be no reason to have a taming skill. They use them as pack animals, and that's it. And the with the culture, for the most part you would be looked down on if you spent most of your time watching and/or playing with rideable creatures. In my opinion to d-elves that would seem frivolous.

But...that's just my two cents. D-elves should have little use for mounts to begin with. Yes taking trade from their camp to Luirs, etc...But dragging a mount behind doesn't make for a quick get away if needed.
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." - Albert Einstein

With a high enough ride skill, I'd like to tame d-elves. They're super fast and more enduring than any inix.

Quote from: Clearsighted on December 21, 2008, 07:44:05 PM
With a high enough ride skill, I'd like to tame d-elves. They're super fast and more enduring than any inix.

They'd be easier to muscle down or ensnare!  ;)
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." - Albert Einstein

+1  :)

I would like to see you try and jump on a desert elf's back, no matter how many soothing words you use, you're going to get stabbed.

JaRoD

You subdue the tall, skinny elf despite his attempts to struggle away.

The rugged, muscular man wraps his legs around the tall, skinny elf's waist from behind; clasping an arm around his neck, and using the other to slap him soundly on the arse.

You exclaim in Sirihish,
"Yeeeeeeaaaahhhhh haaawww!! Run!!! Run you filthy necker!!!"

You choke the tall, skinny elf as he attempts to escape.

I would send kudos.

Quote from: musashi on December 21, 2008, 07:48:09 PM
You subdue the tall, skinny elf despite his attempts to struggle away.

The rugged, muscular man wraps his legs around the tall, skinny elf's waist from behind; clasping an arm around his neck, and using the other to slap him soundly on the arse.

You exclaim in Sirihish,
"Yeeeeeeaaaahhhhh haaawww!! Run!!! Run you filthy necker!!!"

You choke the tall, skinny elf as he attempts to escape.

I would send kudos.

Musashi wins this thread!
Grebber - One who grebs.

you shoıukd be able to eat your mont when hungry
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: Ghost on December 22, 2008, 12:30:12 AM
you shoıukd be able to eat your mont when hungry

Skinning skill.
;)
Grebber - One who grebs.

December 23, 2008, 02:13:44 AM #19 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:19:32 AM by Gunnerblaster
Not to derail but it would be wicked to tame non-mountable critters. Aggro NPCs would have to be 'snuck' up on and then an attempt to 'mount' would be needed. Of course only the few, like rangers,etc. would be able to do such a thing. And no more than one "pet" would be able to be tamed at the same time as another. Same stand/rest commands could be given. Make a check every few game hours/days of the critter going wild again, dependent upon it's Aggro level. A non-aggressive Verrin would be easier to keep under control then, let's say, a scrab - Who would pretty much try to eat you every chance it got. The guards would still react normally and attack the "pet" and perhaps the owner, as well, so that gortoks,etc. aren't roaming the city streets with the chance of going rabid any moment.

The figure in a grey cloak has arrived from the east.
The mangy, scarred gortok has arrived from the east.

The figure in a grey cloak gives the mangy, scarred gortok an order.

The mangy, scarred gortok refuses the figure in a grey cloak's order.

The figure in a grey cloak gives the mangy, scarred gortok an order.

The mangy, scarred gortok attacks the tall, muscular man.

But, then again - I'm just being retarded at late hours of the night and spewing random fantasy 'wishes'.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Yeah I thought about that too ... as cool as it sounds like it would be, I'm just not entirely sure if the game needs that sort of "feel".