Does fighting seem to be off to anyone else?

Started by drunkendwarf, December 20, 2008, 02:14:25 AM

Quote from: Yokunama on December 20, 2008, 07:54:01 PM
Has anyone else noticed the -very- long, dramatic pauses between rounds of combat at times?
Yes.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I've noticed this a bit lately too. Things are seeming a bit more random.

From my experience, everyone notices bad rolls, but don't realize it when their characters are doing better than usual. Even a slight increase in standard deviation makes it look worse, even when it's no different. I remember one guy from another game complaining that the RNG made his character get hit in the head too many times. I told him to log down all the hits on his character and it turns out that the distribution of the hits was just as it was supposed to be.

But since everyone seems to be facing the same problem, I think it's possibly a problem.

semote shrugs.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I'm posting this here as this is my current answer to this situation:

Combat is random, and it is possible for even the weakest of things to occasionally get lucky and get a hit in.

The only things I can find as far as changes in the last few months that might affect people wide-spread is the changes to how encumbrance affects combat.  Are you fighting at encumbrance more than 'easily manageable'?

If you still see issues, please log them and send them in and I will review the logs and see what I can find.

Morgenes
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Ok this should be a new thread but it goes to what Morgenes just said. what are  the encumbrance lvls, is light more or less then 'easily manageable'?

Quote from: Kane007 on December 21, 2008, 02:38:29 AM
Ok this should be a new thread but it goes to what Morgenes just said. what are  the encumbrance lvls, is light more or less then 'easily manageable'?

Less.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

The difference between 'easily manageable' and 'manageable' should not be underestimated.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

December 21, 2008, 04:56:18 AM #32 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 05:00:07 AM by Rhyden
Quote from: Kane007 on December 21, 2008, 02:38:29 AM

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,4413.0.html

edit: I've noticed some differences in combat, but I wouldn't go so far as saying fighting is 'off'. Some mobs are dangerous. Your character likely isn't a super hero, even if you are a 50 day warrior.

December 21, 2008, 05:59:34 AM #33 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:02:44 AM by FightClub
Alright, my input.  First off, I have noticed mobs, which seem to be rolling in a quite broader range.  But these are mobs I've never had experience fighting before, ox for example roll very broadly, black beetles (horrifically broad)  The new raptors, and tarantula that have been implemented in game seem very unstable as well.

As far as ranger vs. wildlife bonus, I can vouch that is it working, very well.  As a warrior that fights with a ranger on a daily basis.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: FightClub on December 21, 2008, 05:59:34 AM
As far as ranger vs. wildlife bonus, I can vouch that is it working, very well.  As a warrior that fights with a ranger on a daily basis.

Its not.

And is there any proof such a change was added to the game?

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: Morgenes on December 20, 2008, 10:09:41 PM
I'm posting this here as this is my current answer to this situation:

Combat is random, and it is possible for even the weakest of things to occasionally get lucky and get a hit in.

The only things I can find as far as changes in the last few months that might affect people wide-spread is the changes to how encumbrance affects combat.  Are you fighting at encumbrance more than 'easily manageable'?

If you still see issues, please log them and send them in and I will review the logs and see what I can find.

Morgenes

Guys, log it and send it to Morg.

JaRoD

Quote from: Yokunama on December 21, 2008, 01:15:09 PM

Its not.

The ranger vs. wildlife bonus? That's been active for years.

Quote from: manonfire on December 21, 2008, 01:47:43 PM
Quote from: Yokunama on December 21, 2008, 01:15:09 PM

Its not.

The ranger vs. wildlife bonus? That's been active for years.

I have wondered about this for a long time.  I have searched weekly updates and the GDB but cant find any evidence of its implementation
Anyone know where it is?

Can't say that I have experienced this, but I dont think I have ever played a warrior in well over a year to reference off of.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Warrior +10 off/def vs. humanoids
Ranger +10 off/def vs. wildlife
Assassin +10 off/def vs. yourbackside
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

FW, as long as I've been playing I remember there being bonuses for a warrior or ranger, depending on their opponent. It was quite some time ago, certainly.

I always figured there was too, just from a common sense perspective, I just never KNEW rather or not it was implemented.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Also for the OP, I seem to recall, a little while back, that Gortok seemed to be boosted.  It was around the time that someone posted about people going out to their respawn point, and standing there idle with training weapons out, that I noticed it.

Have not noticed any changes, but then again, my character isn't a weapons flashing ultrahero either.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Havn't noticed much change.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I haven't noticed a change either.

As others have said in earlier posts, not all NPC's are made the same. 

Also, you could theoretically create two PC/NPC's with exactly the same skills and stats and have them fight.  Odds are, there won't be a stalemate.  One of them will win.  Why?  Dice Roll/Luck.

Combat seems unpredictable due to many floating varriables. You had good days and bad ones.

Perhaps with the encumbrance change, many wildlife that was normally fighting at "No Problem" but not getting a big enough bonus is now getting a megaton bonus?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

after the encumbrance changes I noticed nothing really different as long as my encumbrance was "light". not been fighting at all lately to notice if there was changes