Dodging in their sleep?

Started by Gunnerblaster, December 19, 2008, 02:29:00 PM

On more than one occassion, I've knocked opponents out or stunned them, uncapable of moving - Yet I've seen animals continue to dodge attacks even whilst asleep. Has it always been this way or is it a bug that should be codedly 'bugged'?

I've also heard of stunned opponents, unable to move, still parrying blows. Are they just so hardcore or are we just so sucky?
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

This has peeved me for a while.  I just attribute it to them being a very active sleeper.

say (slamming ~sword down at ~dude for a third time) Quit rolling around!  FUCK!  I'd hate to have the nightmares this guy obviously has!!
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on December 19, 2008, 02:29:00 PM
On more than one occassion, I've knocked opponents out or stunned them, uncapable of moving - Yet I've seen animals continue to dodge attacks even whilst asleep. Has it always been this way or is it a bug that should be codedly 'bugged'?

I've also heard of stunned opponents, unable to move, still parrying blows. Are they just so hardcore or are we just so sucky?
One of my characters parried several attacks from a <blank> after becoming paralyzed.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on December 19, 2008, 02:37:04 PM

One of my characters parried several attacks from a <blank> after becoming paralyzed.

>9000 day warrior?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 19, 2008, 03:22:00 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on December 19, 2008, 02:37:04 PM

>9000 day warrior?
4 day. <flex>
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 19, 2008, 03:22:00 PM
>9000 day warrior?
It's over 9000!
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

How about the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away?  With MIND BULLETS!
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I think it might be that your skill check to hit failed ... and the default message for any failed hit attempt is that they dodged (reguardless of if you failed before or after their dodge modifier ... or lack thereof) erm ... if that makes any sense.  :-\
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

A massive, furry gizhat stops moving.

A massive, furry gizhat smirks as it dodges your jab.

emote facepalms

It's definately a bug that could use some attention, I lost a pc because I couldn't kill my paralyzed victim with a very long-lived ranger. Every shot was blocked/parried and I even got ripped apart during the lag by tags and slices from  his gloves/bracer. It was so silly it was bordering on the Ooc side in my attempts at bypassing that.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on December 22, 2008, 06:22:25 AM
It's definately a bug that could use some attention, I lost a pc because I couldn't kill my paralyzed victim with a very long-lived ranger. Every shot was blocked/parried and I even got ripped apart during the lag by tags and slices from  his gloves/bracer. It was so silly it was bordering on the Ooc side in my attempts at bypassing that.

That does sound like a huge problem.

No joke. That's scary.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Hindsight and all, but I do believe bracers/gloves work based off of offense, so the script is still active even if they're paralzyed. Unless this was fixed, of course.

Next time, steal those bad boys off, then attack. Or pepper his ass from a distance.  :P

Sorry you lost a pc to that.

What is the syntax for taking something off an immobilized person?

I had a situation once where someone was unconscious but I couldn't figure out how to remove something from them.  (Well, death solved it ... but you know ...)

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I think you can just use steal?  ???

Quote from: musashi on December 22, 2008, 09:56:26 AM

Ah, I didn't think it was usable unless the skill was in my skill list.  Taa da!
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on December 22, 2008, 10:23:20 AM
Quote from: musashi on December 22, 2008, 09:56:26 AM

Ah, I didn't think it was usable unless the skill was in my skill list.  Taa da!

Heh, nah. Using 'steal' on an unconcious foe is akin to just ripping items off of them. At least, that's how I roleplay it.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 19, 2008, 03:59:38 PM
How about the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away?  With MIND BULLETS!

That's telekinesis, Kyle.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Quote from: Majikal on December 22, 2008, 06:22:25 AM

This kind of situation makes me believe this code should be fixed ASAP.

If paralyzed or asleep, you should not be able to use offensive triggered items. Anything that slices, jabs, or what have you, should not trigger when unconscious, or unable to move.

To be honest, if you are not moving due to paralysis, you should not be able to dodge or parry shit. They should automatically be able to murdify your ass 100% of the time, with no questions asked. The changes to paralysis and sleep code (Due to magick) cover what I think is reasonable. If you are paralyzed and getting murdified, you have a chance of snapping out of it. If you are put to sleep by magick, you have a chance of snapping out of it. If you are straight sleeping, you -do- snap out of it.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~