Special apps

Started by Lakota, December 19, 2008, 12:20:59 AM

Actually jcjules, magicker karma, as opposed to race karma, was given up. So people with say, 7 karma, would give up the 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th tiers of karma, but not the d.elf, half giant, and mul karma tiers. Same for if they have the halfling option.

Quote from: Lakota on January 15, 2009, 05:35:29 PM
Actually jcjules, magicker karma, as opposed to race karma, was given up. So people with say, 7 karma, would give up the 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th tiers of karma, but not the d.elf, half giant, and mul karma tiers. Same for if they have the halfling option.

Ohhhh.... I wasn't around back then, so thanks for telling me. I withdraw my previous opposition to the idea.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

The halfling option? Like a add on option for a car?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Giving up the karma was more of a 'sit in' kind of commentary. People threw in their karma in hopes that it would bring people's attention to mundane classes again. Hell, I stored a Magicker I had just rolled up in order to play an amazing bard in Tuluk.

Things change, however, and I decided perhaps half a year later to try a pair of Krathi's. I found out I wasn't missing much, and returned to mundanes, all the way.

Judging people for changing their minds is kind of silly, and a long road down hypocritical lane.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: musashi on January 15, 2009, 05:37:18 PM
The halfling option? Like a add on option for a car?

No. More like a Dodge fucking Viper tricked out with missiles and defense systems.

If you haven't ever played one, I heartily encourage you to special app one.

The problem with giving up my Karma was that it seems I gave up my right to earn Karma at the same time. Damn it.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

The karma-off was completely voluntary and if you want your karma back, you can request it back at any time.  if you feel you have been overlooked for gaining more karma for this, please submit a karma review request and indicate this in the request.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

For anyone curious, here is the thread in question with the great karma-off and everything. It started sometime back in 2007 after the non-mundane portion of the playerbase had been growing steadily following the announcement of the Reborn project. Unnatural entities of various kinds were starting to rival, or in some areas even exceed, the numbers of mundane PCs in the game, and after months of countless irate threads about it, the playerbase took the apparently necessary step to get a reaction from the staff.

Quote from: Good Gortok on January 16, 2009, 04:01:32 PM
For anyone curious, here is the thread in question with the great karma-off and everything. It started sometime back in 2007 after the non-mundane portion of the playerbase had been growing steadily following the announcement of the Reborn project. Unnatural entities of various kinds were starting to rival, or in some areas even exceed, the numbers of mundane PCs in the game, and after months of countless irate threads about it, the playerbase took the apparently necessary step to get a reaction from the staff.

Wow ...

Very informative.  Also, looks like that whole thread in the arm.2 forum is redundant. :D
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on January 16, 2009, 07:09:29 PM
Very informative.  Also, looks like that whole thread in the arm.2 forum is redundant. :D

Now you begin to understand how most of us who were here a year ago feel.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on January 16, 2009, 07:10:19 PM
Quote from: Thunkkin on January 16, 2009, 07:09:29 PM

Now you begin to understand how most of us who were here a year ago feel.

Or three.

Or eight.

Or ten.

Also, I'd like to admit that some time around 1995 or so, in the pre-karma days, as a young lad when I played about 20 different muds and tried out ARM a few times (and would always give up, since I would just run out the gates and attack gith on every character) ... I made an old vivaduan based on the biblical Noah and stood outside the Trader's Inn shouting prophesies about floods.  I don't think I even realized I had spells, much less figured out how to cast one.  After a few days, I got bored and ran out of the gates and fought gith.

There, I've got my magick twinking days off my chest now.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Good Gortok on January 16, 2009, 04:01:32 PM

Actually - there was no action from staff other than we removed karma from those who asked. If you noticed any changes within the game itself it was likely a result of people not apping magickers, rather than anything staff did.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Adhira:

You mean, the same percentage of vampire mindbending sorcerer nilazi apps were approved?

I seem to recall that some players started having their outrageous character concepts rejected moreso after the karma komplaint, than before.

But what do I know, I usually have people complaining at me compared to people telling me their secrets.  Its like a ratio of 5000:1
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

We did not change our special application criteria, what you heard was probably gossip.  ::)
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Please discuss the change in policy here.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Oops.  I locked the topic.  It's unlocked now.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

My only request is that cancelled special applications (by the player) be not counted as part of the three total and exempt from the 30 day period.
* Naja Salaheem: Forever! Always! Until death! You mercenaries are my pawns.

This is the best change the game has seen in a long time, imo. Going to see more quality over quantity.

Hooray.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

January 28, 2009, 01:37:37 PM #94 Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:40:30 PM by Nyr
Quote from: Prince Prig on January 28, 2009, 01:33:21 PM
My only request is that cancelled special applications (by the player) be not counted as part of the three total and exempt from the 30 day period.

This is reasonable (and will be has been updated to reflect that, per Morgenes).
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I think the only thing this'll change is the time apps take to get looked at.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Sorry, I think player-canceled SAs should count towards the max.    I'm thinking this whole new rule is really about players being more aware and considerate when it comes to special applications -- and that includes control over impulses.  If a player is finding they have to request cancelation after cancelation that, to me, implies they're submitting more impulses than wanted characters.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I once special-apped a character and was informed that it didn't require a special app--will this count towards my total?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Quote from: jcljules on January 28, 2009, 01:43:37 PM
I once special-apped a character and was informed that it didn't require a special app--will this count towards my total?

I would suggest you request that the special app be marked cancelled in that case.  Hopefully staff will think about it and do that for you.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

This is a great change.

I agree with not having player-canceled apps apply toward the limit; because a player-canceled app doesn't require anything from the staff in terms of time, and thus it doesn't impact staff or the game.

How does this affect people who might have put in 3+ special apps already since February 2008? Will they have to wait to submit again, or does the year period just start fresh, now, for everyone?
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.