The changes to soldier code when apprehending criminals

Started by Flaming Ocotillo, May 23, 2003, 01:25:02 PM

At some point in the past, the code for Allanaki soldiers (and potentially all soldier code where soldiers try to bring you to jail) was changed so that soldiers sheathed their weapons before attempting a subdue. The goal of the change was to stop soldiers from fighting without weapons if their target happened to avoid or escape the subdue attempt.

However, I'm not sure if certain behavior with the new code is by accident or by design, when soldiers do the following:

Fail to subdue the target and then instantly draw weapons (no lag on subdue) with two "free" rounds of attack immediately thereafter.

As the code stands now, soldiers can do the following in less than 0.1 seconds:

Soldier has arrived from the west.
Soldier sheathes his primary weapon.
Soldier sheathes his secondary weapon.
Soldier attempts to subdue you, but you struggle away.
Soldier draws his primary weapon.
Soldier draws his secondary weapon.
Soldier attacks you with first weapon (round 1)
Soldier attacks you with second weapon (round 1)
Soldier attacks you with first weapon (round 2)
Soldier attacks you with second weapon (round 2)

--Now the PC may enter commands to react--

Without fail, if a soldier fails his subdue, this is how the new code will always behave. The soldier draws weapons for two free rounds in the blink of an eye. All those messages appear instantaneously.

In my humble opinion, giving the soldiers the abililty to sheath weapons before a subdue was a much needed addition to the game. Giving them the ability to immediately draw weapons after a failed subdue (ignoring command lag) starts to get a little unfair, and giving them a free attack immediately after is rather harsh. Giving them a second free attack immediately after the first seems like an oversight in the code. The end result is sometimes fatal for unarmed PCs.

Anyone else have an opinion on the code, if they've witnessed it?

The code works like this in Allanak without fail; I'm not sure if it applies to Tuluk or other places with criminal jails.

I've seen it...I think they should at least have a light lag after the subdue to draw weapons...but that is about it, at least give the player the chance to run and turn on nosave:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Heh...I've seen it...in fact, I've died to it.  I completely agree that it's kinda cheesy too.  I mean, a PC guard/soldier can't do that...period.  Why can every NPC guard/soldier?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Just a quick reply: Have nosave on when you think you might get crim flagged.

The not so quick reply: Anytime I plan to do something illegal I eaher have the nosave on already or make sure it is one of the commands I do immediatly after the actions that will get me wanted.

Example: I am about to shoot an arrow into the tavern to try and kill the templar that raped my mother.

I have typed out the fllowing "shoot Boopsie east;nosave" That way if any soldiers come running in I don't get insta killed.

You might argue that does not give you a chance to get away, but no matter how carefully you plan things there is always a chance that a soldier could come patrolling the are just as you let the arrow fly. SO be ready or pay the consequences. I have no problem with you rying to escape the soldier once he has you then you can try to run if you wish.

My 2.5 sid...

Course not that it is going to do much good when you accidently (and it happens often) Do something to pick up a crim flag
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

If you have the log of this, mail the mud with a brief explaination.

Quote from: "X-D"Course not that it is going to do much good when you accidently (and it happens often) Do something to pick up a crim flag

Accidentaly? Like what? I think if one gets crim flagged for a mistake on the player's part then the player should learn to be more carefull from that mistake.

People pay for mistakes they make all the time, even in RL. My view is this, you make a mistake you pay for it, learn from it and move on. If you treat Arm like it is realistic and that mistakes made by a character have certain consequences then you would be doubly more careful not to make any mistakes. I agree that they do happen, but once you get burned you will be a lot more careful no to do it again.

Just my 2 sid....

Not the point plaz, fact is shit happens, to everyone, Myself, I recently got lucky with something having to do with crim code and a char being afk, in clan who did not have nosave on when he should of, A simple matter of me being impatient I guess, but none the less it was a criminal act by code only....I admit it was somewhat funny to let an npc (that my char could have killed with ease) who failed subdue beat on my char while I typed nosave,(this NPC sheathed, failed subdue and attacked so fast the other players in the room did not even get to see what my char did and thought the npc just attacked him)  and on the way to jail a nice imm pardoned my char when I wished up. I'm betting it would have been the end of any newbie and some not so new, the nosave went through a second before the halfgiant rushed in. One or two seconds lag between a failed subdue and drawing of weapons is not gonna break the crim code to the point where every criminal gets away...I doubt if the number would increase much at all.

Plazgoth wrote:
QuoteIf you treat Arm like it is realistic

And if you treat arm like it is realistic then the soldiers would have the same lag between a failed subdue, drawing weapons and attacking as we all do, and belimited to entering commands at an ave of 60 words per minute too, not asking that, just enough time to enter a command to prevent death...after all, the game is permadeath for pc's not for the NPC...even if I kill that npc guard, unfortunatly he will be back next reboot.
Lizzie:

X-D ---  This is -high-larious.  I actually had a PC fend off a pair of angry half-giant soldiers -bare-handed- for 3 or 4 rounds of combat while I tried to figure out wtf was going on.  The whole thing was a weird bug (or an accident on the part of an imm, I forget) and eventually got sorted out, but it was really funny.  And no doubt, had he not been a 20-warrior, he would've been cut down in a heartbeat.

Seen it, died to it.

And as X-D said, painful stuff happens by accident.

Heh, in my personal case, I became wanted, thought immediately "Oh crap, nosave!  Whew... much better."

Then as I realized that I had already typed nosave a few hours earlier and forgot, BLEEP, welcome to Half-Giant Soldier on Your Head.

Say hello to Mantis.

;)
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

Quote from: "halfbreed"Then as I realized that I had already typed nosave a few hours earlier and forgot, BLEEP, welcome to Half-Giant Soldier on Your Head.
Solution for this is to use arguments on commands, like actually type out 'nosave on' instead of just 'nosave' meaning that if it's already on, it stays on.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

The soldier code I've given an example of is not some exceptional situation where soldiers sometimes behave that way. Soldiers will always behave this way in Allanak (and possibly elsewhere), when a NPC soldier fails their subdue attempt against a criminal-flagged, Allanaki citizen PC. There's no need for a specific log to examine the code; simply place a NPC Allanaki soldier next to a PC/NPC who is coded with Allanaki citizenship, and then crim-flag the citizen. Assuming the soldier is armed and the subdue attempt fails, any staff member who wants to examine the code will see the issue I've mentioned.

Not all of the staff reads the GDB thoroughly, and emailing the mud with a log and a brief explaination, as I suggested earlier, is the best way to get this looked at.  The ones who handle the emails can then forward it to the staff member that can best handle this problem.
Ashyom