Finding Stuff

Started by Gar, May 22, 2003, 02:46:50 PM

Isn't it a great thing to be wandering around, exploring or sightseeing whatever, when you stumble upon something great?  I mean like finding a corpse out in the forest.  I always get nervous and start looking around for whatever it was that killed the person.  Then after I make sure the coast is clear I start going through the gear, trying to determine what's worth taking.  Sometimes it's fun to try and figure out who the person was or where he was from.  If there's too much stuff then I pick the things I think are worth the most.  I'll bring back house insignia, cloaks etc and give them back to the house if it's IC appropriate for my character to do so.  You even find stuff in the city lying about some times.

I know it's probably too IC but I'm wondering what kind of crazy junk folks have found.  I once found an item I had never seen IC or OOC until I went down to Nak, RL months later.  I carried that dumb worthless thing around like some kind of treasure because it was so original, at least in Tuluk.  I have on occasion found corpses with enough sid to make me very happy for a while.  Shoot, first time I tried spice was when I found some on a dead guy.  Character got hooked for a while too.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

It would be ----soooo---- cool if you could see the person's main desc on their corpse....

QuoteIt would be ----soooo---- cool if you could see the person's main desc on their corpse....

I'm sure you can't see it because often a body would be decomposing by the time you see it and most details would be indistinguishable.  Though, that gives me an idea: how about making the main desc visible on corpses, but each hour the body lies there you start to randomize a few letters in the text?  That way you'd be able to see exactly what a freshly-killed person looks like, but as time goes on that becomes more difficult.  Would be nice if it worked for monsters too, because half of the things I've killed I never got a chance to look at it and see what the thing actually looks like.

I still think it would be neat if when humans died bones were left.
Itd be easy to set up too...

like when the rot code kicks in, do a check for the race of the person, then load a set of bones, like a skull, pair of legs, a few fingers.

That way someday you might be out someday "sight seeing" as it is, and stumble into a pit filled with:

Many small humanoid skulls lie here.
Several small humanoid femurs lie here.
Etc
etc.
(Assorted clothing and armor)

that might give the onset that your in the wrong place :)

Nice Idea Jenred!! I like it alot, of course my next six commands would be

Flee self  

Otherwise I think both the bone idea and the main desc breakdown would be really really neat additions to the game. Give some idea of how long that char's been dead too. The only problem I can see is that not every room is a save room and I can imagine that those pits of Danger wouldn't fill up quite as fast as they refresh out.

Unless there's alotta bynners in the area

*disclaimer* I In no way think bynners are quickly death lost little kids.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

To return to Gar's original topic...

One of the neatest things I've found (that isn't too IC to reveal) was with a character who was a little down on his luck at the time.  He walked into the Bard's Barrel and looked at each table.  Setting unattended on one of the tables was a bag containing.... 1000 'sid!
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Once I stumbled on a body with my first character out in the wastes (two years ago IRL).  I didnt just look around, I was so freakin nervous I circled the 8 rooms around it before checking it out, then ended up with a tent a new kank, and a pair of boots with sheaths in them, which I couldnt sell to anybody in the bazaar, and ended up pawning off on some stupid elf for only 15 sid.  Ha ha! Sucker!  (bangs head against the wall for his newbness)
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany.  Except for maybe Allanak."

-Anonymous

Yeah...I'm not a huge fan of just finding stuff.  My first character died to finding stuff.  Come across some spice just lying in the middle of the street in Allanak.  A long story short, I picked it up to go turn it in to a Templar, but some NPC militia people just wouldn't listen to my story before killing me for it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Imagine finding something that is rare for its material, and that material is metal.  With 40ish hps.  Then dying three minutes later.  That is a rush of blood to the head.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

All I have to say is...SCAVENGERS ROCK :!:
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Oh, yes. I love it when I find a dead newb with a wad of cash on the body.

My current char may soon have enough income to buy and maintain a mount. My very first mount! oh, i'm so excited!

I'm glad summer's coming on soon. I may have enouch time to really play arm for a while.
he stories are woven
and fortunes are told
The truth is measured by the weight of your gold
The magic lies scattered
on rugs on the ground
Faith is conjured in the night market's sound

Looting a dead body can be hazardous to your health.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "crymerci"Looting a dead body can be hazardous to your health.

That depends on what dead body you're looting.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".