Who, more information please

Started by Cerelum, December 13, 2008, 08:52:52 AM

throw shoe my2sids
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Cerelum on December 13, 2008, 08:52:52 AM
I think it would be extremely useful to conducting rp if who displayed players by geographic area

>who

There are currently 12 other players besides yourself

6 of them are in Allanak
4 of them are in Tuluk
2 of them are in Red Storm

JaRoD

No.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on December 15, 2008, 03:21:25 PM
Quote from: Cerelum on December 13, 2008, 08:52:52 AM
I think it would be extremely useful to conducting rp if who displayed players by geographic area

>who

There are currently 12 other players besides yourself

6 of them are in Allanak
4 of them are in Tuluk
2 of them are in Red Storm

JaRoD

No.

I agree.

I think since some people are so against the fact they could tell where and when people are focused around certain geographic areas, maybe it could be a toggle like Who long (for the way I suggested) and who norm or something that would allow it to stay the way it is.

Then those of you who enjoy being in the darkness can, and those of us who want to be enlightened can as well.

Win win.

Oh and add the ability for people to do like Who off (so they don't show up even on the one's of us who choose the better who)

How bout that?

JaRoD

Not knowing who is online, much less where, is one of the reasons I like this game.  If you want to find somebody, you have to try getting a hold of them.  Kind of like real life, but with psionic contact rather than cell phones.  Or you can just go out and look for them.

Quote from: Cerelum on December 16, 2008, 07:25:14 AM
Stuff

I think people are opposed less on the basis of personal preference, and more on the chances of this feature getting abused.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on December 16, 2008, 09:56:23 AM
Quote from: Cerelum on December 16, 2008, 07:25:14 AM
Stuff

I think people are opposed less on the basis of personal preference, and more on the chances of this feature getting abused.
There would never be any features in any game if everyone worried about every possible thing being abused.

Abuse sometimes just looms there on the horizon and you hope it doesn't happen, sometimes it does.

Like a Bahamet that's two rooms away when you're fighting a duskhorn and you hope it doesn't come in, yet sometimes it does.

Don't limit everyone's choices because you fear abuse.

JaRoD

I wouldnt mind losing who as whole. But ...but but but but, there should be a feature on the site that would mention a 'delayed' who. For purposes of being in awe 'Holy shit, we hit eighty players at the same time!!!", aswell as figuring out vague concepts of where the prime time is.

Then again ... Who command is invaluable to newbies. People who havent spent years in the game and do not have as strong a faith in the playerbase, get somewhat discouraged when meeting 'no one'. Atleast with who, they'll be able to see that while they're meeting no one, there 'are' lots of players, just not nearby.

Come to think of it, the 'benefit' to the criminals isnt really all that great if you keep it vague enough. What possible good can come out of it? It's not like it 'really' that difficult to puzzle out the times when no one is on, to start knocking apartments. Other then this, I dont see any particular benefit to who.

I like the <within civilization/outside of civilization> idea the most. People who log off due to low who count, will still check the taverns before logging off first. And whether we got who or not, if they cant find interaction ... they'll log off anyway. A more detailed who will alleviate the damage more then fix it.

I don't think this would be a beneficial or necessary change for Armageddon.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on December 16, 2008, 01:54:31 PM
I don't think this would be a beneficial or necessary change for Armageddon.
Et Tu, Nyr?

Why do you feel that way?  If a feature makes it easier for players to find rp opportunties or not waste their time hoping it finds them, how is this bad?

Necessary?  Yeah I get it, people will play regardless, but I definately think it's beneficial.

JaRoD

I think it could adversely affect player activity more than it could promote RP opportunities.  I also think it delves too far into areas that can affect IC activities due to OOC knowledge.  It would be possible to figure out things based on the time of day and amount of people in the city by using the who list rather that with actual IC communication and discovery--things that go right past promoting RP opportunities and headlong into OOC communication, with the MUD itself being the other end of the communication.  I'm not a fan of things that can be abused like that.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Cerelum on December 16, 2008, 11:31:18 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I never seem to see this sentiment pop up in the "we don't like magickers threads".  ::)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on December 16, 2008, 05:17:48 PM
Quote from: Cerelum on December 16, 2008, 11:31:18 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I never seem to see this sentiment pop up in the "we don't like magickers threads".  ::)

JaRoD walks in and scratches his head, then points down the street and says in english, "Sir I think you're confused, that magicker threads store is down the street two blocks on the right, this here is a store about "Who" merchandise."

JaRoD walks back into his store and shakes his head.

JaRoD

This is why I think it is bad.
For the below example, Delstro's actions will be in normal print, and Maybe42or54's actions will be bolded.

Delstro logs in.

Welcome to Zalanthas!
You are in the Gaj!

Who
There are 3 people in Allanak, beside yourself.

Maybe42or54 logs in

Think OOCly, Damn if there were 5 people, including me, I'd stay logged in.

Welcome to Zalanthas!
You are in the Gaj!

Delstro logs out

Who
There are 3 people in Allanak, beside yourself.

Think OOCly, Damn if there were 4 people, I'd stay logged in.

Maybe42or54 logs out

Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.