Who, more information please

Started by Cerelum, December 13, 2008, 08:52:52 AM

I think it would be extremely useful to conducting rp if who displayed players by geographic area

>who

There are currently 12 other players besides yourself

6 of them are in Allanak
4 of them are in Tuluk
2 of them are in Red Storm

JaRoD

I disagree. I have access to who c, and ever since I figured that out, I always use it as an excuse not to stay logged in. If I typed who, and saw there were only four people in my area, I'd never play.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on December 13, 2008, 09:40:11 AM
I disagree. I have access to who c, and ever since I figured that out, I always use it as an excuse not to stay logged in. If I typed who, and saw there were only four people in my area, I'd never play.

Sorta my point.  I like to solo rp...a little, not a shitton, so if there are only four people in my area, I am gonna log out.

I would prefer to know instead of running all over the place looking.

JaRoD

This has been asked for already and I believe there was mention that something like this may be implemented for 2.Arm, but would take too much to code for 1.Arm.

Here is one thread that discusses it, but I could have sworn there was another that had imm posts in it and I'm too lazy to look for it.

Frankly, I'd rather not have a reason to log off. If I log on and see 89 people on and 65 of them are not in my area, I might be a failure and log off. That's not cool.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I think a WHO by geography is way too useful for criminals.

Quote from: number13 on December 13, 2008, 11:32:34 AM
I think a WHO by geography is way too useful for criminals.

I was thinking the same thing.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I think I would be cool with having no who command at all ... to tell you the truth of it.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on December 13, 2008, 12:12:15 PM
I think I would be cool with having no who command at all ... to tell you the truth of it.

I could manage that as well...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

No way, you all are looking at this too much on the negative side.  A person shouldn't have to wander all over a town or geographic area, or WORLD to find interaction.  If they took away who I probably wouldn't play after checking two bars in either city at all.  My idea of fun isn't trying to sniff out where you guys are RPing.

JaRoD

I like "who c"

In my experience, it's really facilitated game-play and multiple scenes - but maybe that's because left to my own devices, I find spamming "contact X" over and over for hours to be more discouraging than logging in and simply seeing no one on from my clan.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Yeah but if you're not in a clan or you're not high enough in a clan, Who C doesn't work.

JaRoD

Quote from: Thunkkin on December 13, 2008, 01:09:51 PM
I like "who c"

In my experience, it's really facilitated game-play and multiple scenes - but maybe that's because left to my own devices, I find spamming "contact X" over and over for hours to be more discouraging than logging in and simply seeing no one on from my clan.

Don't get me wrong, I -love- having who c, but I'm just saying that if it were suddenly spread out to deal with anyone outside of my clan, I can't imagine it being a good idea. I think Who is fine the way it is. If you can't find interaction, join a clan. If you're in one, ask if you can HAVE access to who c.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'm the type who will log on and log off on my whim, not on any measure of who else is around. Having said that, I did like having who c. It was useful to know whether or not I should bother trying to -way- that person, during the time when my contact skill sucked so bad I'd practically pass out with the first try, and take 20 minutes to regen enough stun to try again.

The only change I wouldn't mind seeing, is if who showed this:

Within civilization walls, somewhere: 20
Outside civilized walls, somewhere: 35

That doesn't tell me if the outside people are all in the tablelands, or raiding wagons outside Red Storm, or all at a party in a cave in the wastes. It only tells me that there's more people out -there- than there are in -here- and if I'm looking for massive interaction, I need to go for a ride and hope for the best.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Riev on December 13, 2008, 01:12:55 PM
Quote from: Thunkkin on December 13, 2008, 01:09:51 PM
I like "who c"

Don't get me wrong, I -love- having who c, but I'm just saying that if it were suddenly spread out to deal with anyone outside of my clan, I can't imagine it being a good idea. I think Who is fine the way it is. If you can't find interaction, join a clan. If you're in one, ask if you can HAVE access to who c.
Just submitted a request asking for this ability, we shall see.

JaRoD

Quote from: Cerelum on December 13, 2008, 09:43:25 AM

Sorta my point.  I like to solo rp...a little, not a shitton, so if there are only four people in my area, I am gonna log out.

This is exactly what I would like to avoid.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on December 15, 2008, 01:25:49 AM

You are cruel then.  Mean mean mean.

We shouldn't have to search five different spots just to see if anyone else is around.

JaRoD

Quote from: Cerelum on December 15, 2008, 02:14:04 AM

We shouldn't have to search five different spots just to see if anyone else is around.

JaRoD

Along the way you might run into some crazy shit that never would have happened otherwise. Wow. That'd be cool huh?

I can see way more possibilities for abuse than benefits to knowing where people are concentrated with who. 

People that are looking for interaction are probably going to be in a tavern/gathering area.  People that aren't, won't be hanging out there.  It does not take that much time to check out the maximum of what, five possible taverns in your city? - and a lot less, if you're in a different sort of settlement.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

December 15, 2008, 10:49:20 AM #20 Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 10:51:42 AM by Ender

JaRoD

Think about the logic of it. 

player A logs on
player A types who and sees no one on in his location
player A logs off

player B then logs on
player types who and sees no one on in his location
player B thinks "why is no one ever logged on?"
player B logs off

You have to think of the game from a perspective other than your own.  If you don't like solo RP and want to log off when you feel you are alone, what about other people who log on to the same?  Will they stick around and wait for you?
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Ender on December 15, 2008, 10:49:20 AM

JaRoD

Think about the logic of it. 

player A logs on
player A types who and sees no one on in his location
player A logs off

player B then logs on
player types who and sees no one on in his location
player B thinks "why is no one ever logged on?"
player B logs off

You have to think of the game from a perspective other than your own.  If you don't like solo RP and want to log off when you feel you are alone, what about other people who log on to the same?  Will they stick around and wait for you?
That should be their option.  I personally wouldn't wait around, but some of you would and you would be the anchors of the others.  Yeah there would be a few people who didn't waste time sitting at the bar, but so what?

JaRoD

From someone who has little to zero time to waste solo RPing or idling in hope of a clan-mate showing, I love who c and would really like to see better means of getting players together, even if it's through a better who command or other ooc means. I use AIM alot anyway. If that makes me a goddamn cheater then so be it, but I would much rather have a clan-mate or two on my AIM and give them a poke occasionally to see if they are on-line or if there is no hope of them logging in, so I know the odds of having interaction within my own organization.

I have 3 kids, a job, numerous bad habits, and an insane lap dog. If I wanted to sit around, bored and shitty, I would play a different mud or take up crocheting. If I'm inclined to idle a bit in hopes of a friend or nemesis logging on, I will do so, regardless of Who C, who, or OOC info whatever.

We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: WarriorPoet on December 15, 2008, 11:05:36 AM
From someone who has little to zero time to waste solo RPing or idling in hope of a clan-mate showing, I love who c and would really like to see better means of getting players together, even if it's through a better who command or other ooc means. I use AIM alot anyway. If that makes me a goddamn cheater then so be it, but I would much rather have a clan-mate or two on my AIM and give them a poke occasionally to see if they are on-line or if there is no hope of them logging in, so I know the odds of having interaction within my own organization.

I have 3 kids, a job, numerous bad habits, and an insane lap dog. If I wanted to sit around, bored and shitty, I would play a different mud or take up crocheting. If I'm inclined to idle a bit in hopes of a friend or nemesis logging on, I will do so, regardless of Who C, who, or OOC info whatever.

QFT.

JaRoD

Maybe

>contact

should go back to the old way?  So, you know if someone is logged in or not.

:ducks:
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

throw shoe my2sids

Quote from: Cerelum on December 13, 2008, 08:52:52 AM
I think it would be extremely useful to conducting rp if who displayed players by geographic area

>who

6 of them are in Allanak
4 of them are in Tuluk

JaRoD

No.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on December 15, 2008, 03:21:25 PM
Quote from: Cerelum on December 13, 2008, 08:52:52 AM

>who

6 of them are in Allanak
4 of them are in Tuluk

JaRoD

No.

I agree.

I think since some people are so against the fact they could tell where and when people are focused around certain geographic areas, maybe it could be a toggle like Who long (for the way I suggested) and who norm or something that would allow it to stay the way it is.

Then those of you who enjoy being in the darkness can, and those of us who want to be enlightened can as well.

Win win.

Oh and add the ability for people to do like Who off (so they don't show up even on the one's of us who choose the better who)

How bout that?

JaRoD

Not knowing who is online, much less where, is one of the reasons I like this game.  If you want to find somebody, you have to try getting a hold of them.  Kind of like real life, but with psionic contact rather than cell phones.  Or you can just go out and look for them.

Quote from: Cerelum on December 16, 2008, 07:25:14 AM
Stuff

I think people are opposed less on the basis of personal preference, and more on the chances of this feature getting abused.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on December 16, 2008, 09:56:23 AM
Quote from: Cerelum on December 16, 2008, 07:25:14 AM
Stuff

I think people are opposed less on the basis of personal preference, and more on the chances of this feature getting abused.
There would never be any features in any game if everyone worried about every possible thing being abused.

Abuse sometimes just looms there on the horizon and you hope it doesn't happen, sometimes it does.

Like a Bahamet that's two rooms away when you're fighting a duskhorn and you hope it doesn't come in, yet sometimes it does.

Don't limit everyone's choices because you fear abuse.

JaRoD

I wouldnt mind losing who as whole. But ...but but but but, there should be a feature on the site that would mention a 'delayed' who. For purposes of being in awe 'Holy shit, we hit eighty players at the same time!!!", aswell as figuring out vague concepts of where the prime time is.

Then again ... Who command is invaluable to newbies. People who havent spent years in the game and do not have as strong a faith in the playerbase, get somewhat discouraged when meeting 'no one'. Atleast with who, they'll be able to see that while they're meeting no one, there 'are' lots of players, just not nearby.

Come to think of it, the 'benefit' to the criminals isnt really all that great if you keep it vague enough. What possible good can come out of it? It's not like it 'really' that difficult to puzzle out the times when no one is on, to start knocking apartments. Other then this, I dont see any particular benefit to who.

I like the <within civilization/outside of civilization> idea the most. People who log off due to low who count, will still check the taverns before logging off first. And whether we got who or not, if they cant find interaction ... they'll log off anyway. A more detailed who will alleviate the damage more then fix it.

I don't think this would be a beneficial or necessary change for Armageddon.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on December 16, 2008, 01:54:31 PM
I don't think this would be a beneficial or necessary change for Armageddon.
Et Tu, Nyr?

Why do you feel that way?  If a feature makes it easier for players to find rp opportunties or not waste their time hoping it finds them, how is this bad?

Necessary?  Yeah I get it, people will play regardless, but I definately think it's beneficial.

JaRoD

I think it could adversely affect player activity more than it could promote RP opportunities.  I also think it delves too far into areas that can affect IC activities due to OOC knowledge.  It would be possible to figure out things based on the time of day and amount of people in the city by using the who list rather that with actual IC communication and discovery--things that go right past promoting RP opportunities and headlong into OOC communication, with the MUD itself being the other end of the communication.  I'm not a fan of things that can be abused like that.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Cerelum on December 16, 2008, 11:31:18 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I never seem to see this sentiment pop up in the "we don't like magickers threads".  ::)

Quote from: musashi on December 16, 2008, 05:17:48 PM
Quote from: Cerelum on December 16, 2008, 11:31:18 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I never seem to see this sentiment pop up in the "we don't like magickers threads".  ::)

JaRoD walks in and scratches his head, then points down the street and says in english, "Sir I think you're confused, that magicker threads store is down the street two blocks on the right, this here is a store about "Who" merchandise."

JaRoD walks back into his store and shakes his head.

JaRoD

This is why I think it is bad.
For the below example, Delstro's actions will be in normal print, and Maybe42or54's actions will be bolded.

Delstro logs in.

Welcome to Zalanthas!
You are in the Gaj!

Who
There are 3 people in Allanak, beside yourself.

Maybe42or54 logs in

Think OOCly, Damn if there were 5 people, including me, I'd stay logged in.

Welcome to Zalanthas!
You are in the Gaj!

Delstro logs out

Who
There are 3 people in Allanak, beside yourself.

Think OOCly, Damn if there were 4 people, I'd stay logged in.

Maybe42or54 logs out

Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.