Paintings, Drawings, and other Permanent, Non-Language creations ...

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, December 12, 2008, 11:07:27 AM

Do you like this idea?

Yes.
12 (92.3%)
No.
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

The idea concerns using the writing code to implement PC artistic ventures. This would simply require a standard reading skill for every character in game, which would be hidden on the PC skill list so as to be less disruptive. Like bards, painters could be prolific, people could draw ansi maps, so on and so forth. A good artist, like a good bard, could gain fame for their work.

The tools used would be the same as for any PC who can write ... scrolls and paper and pens and so forth and so on. It would require no addition to code except to add the 'language' drawing, and to hide the skill from PCs on the skill list.

Further ideas are welcome, but I am thinking about this within the constraints of the game we have, without having to tax Staff to add it. Keep that in mind when considering this simple implementation.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on December 12, 2008, 11:07:27 AM
The idea concerns using the writing code to implement PC artistic ventures. This would simply require a standard reading skill for every character in game, which would be hidden on the PC skill list so as to be less disruptive. Like bards, painters could be prolific, people could draw ansi maps, so on and so forth. A good artist, like a good bard, could gain fame for their work.

The tools used would be the same as for any PC who can write ... scrolls and paper and pens and so forth and so on. It would require no addition to code except to add the 'language' drawing, and to hide the skill from PCs on the skill list.

Further ideas are welcome, but I am thinking about this within the constraints of the game we have, without having to tax Staff to add it. Keep that in mind when considering this simple implementation.
I have often wondered why this wasn't in the game already.  I mean we have scribble, so why not have painting?

You can draw with chalk in appropriate rooms, but the image slowly decays and becomes illegible. I've always been in support of drawing and painting (with the appropriate skill and tools (like canvas, paint, charcoal etc.) I think 'artist' could deserve its own subguild.

If there is a concern about how prolific paintings and such would become, perhaps put some kind of time limit on the skill so that a painting or drawing took a RL day, and consumed the appropriate materials.
"The perfect police state has no police." - William S. Burroughs

Why not craft paint canvas into a painting?

It would use paint, but not consume it, and it would consume the painting.  And editor would be opened for the artist to describe the painting.  It could be under an artist subguild like instrument making is under the bard subguild, but honestly, I'd almost people rather ask for it.  Bards IG can get the instrument making skill without the bard subguild if the right strings are pulled.

Something like this has come up before as a topic of discussion.
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,30512.0.html

Several points have been made in that thread from staff; I think it's worth a read if you want a refresher on it.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

There's a simple solution to the problem of unsupervised paintings and drawings vs. quality control, but I don't know if staff are willing to tackle something of this magnitude for 1.Arm:

Restrict the text to non-alphanumeric characters.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 12, 2008, 12:39:29 PM
There's a simple solution to the problem of unsupervised paintings and drawings vs. quality control, but I don't know if staff are willing to tackle something of this magnitude for 1.Arm:

Restrict the text to non-alphanumeric characters.
Ansi only?

LOL

Quote from: Nyr on December 12, 2008, 12:10:07 PM
Something like this has come up before as a topic of discussion.
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,30512.0.html

Several points have been made in that thread from staff; I think it's worth a read if you want a refresher on it.
Blargh.

Alright. I forgot this thread. Heh. Nevermind.

Armageddon logo!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++=D$~+++++++++++~,~~,~+++++++++++7=++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++~8NMO~++++=78MMMMMMMMMNO=++++$MDI~++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++~DNMM8?OMMMM8$77Z??ZNMMMM=,OMDO~+++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++7DDMN8$I?I+++++++=I?++IDN87$=++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++~8MZ7??I++?+=======+=+,+~=+ID~++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++~$NM$++++++++====~~~:~~~+:O==?8N7~,++++++++++++++++++++,~,
+++++++++++++,::I$8DNMMM87+++:?+++=~~~::::,,:::~:M=~=7DMN8O$7I+~,++++++++,:~=?I7
++++++++~IONMMMMMMMMMN87+==++?+++==~~:,,.....,,:~~M===+?$8DDDMMMMNDO+,~~+IZO8DNN
++++,$MMN88O$$$$77$ZZI?=~=+??++++==~:,,..    .,,~~=N~++?I7?+++++=++?I$DMO~MMMMMM
++,ZD$I?+=====?I7$Z7+++==++???++==~~::,..     ,:~~+,N++???I+=====~:::I~=?ZO~MMMM
++~?7?++=:,,++++++++=I+==+I??++++==~~:,,..  ..,:~==+D=??7+Z+,,,~?ZDMM,:~~~~=,NDD
++++++++++++++++++++:ZI+++7777I?+===~~::,,,,,,:~==+?NN??7?M87?IONMMMMMMMMD8Z$777
++++++++++++++++++++,ZI?++777777II+==~~~:::::~~===+?ND??$?MMMMMMMMMMMMN8$7I?++++
++++++++++++++++++++,Z?+?+I77777III?+===~~~~====+++~Z~?+7+MMMMMMMMMD8Z$7I?++=++?
++++++++++++++++++++,II?I++$77777III+++++===++++++I,+++?7,MMMMMMMDO$7I?????III??
++++++++++++++++++++,+OI??+I$77777III?+++++++++++?~+=+~?Z,NMNND8O$7II??III+=++++
+++++++++++++++++,+DMNZI77?+$$77777IIIII+++++++?II++?=~=7NNZ~,$7II?III?+~++=++++
++++++++++++++,=NN8O7I?+++I7++$777777IIII7I7II77,+?I=~=:~=?OMMNI??II?=+~+II??+++
+++++++++++++:ON77==++~:=?+?I?+?$77777III7II7$$+=I?+=+:~==~=?$DM$,?=+++???+=====
++++++++++++~ZI==~+++++++,I+++II+?$$777I77$7+++7I??7+,MNO$~~~++?DO+~+??+++++====
++++++++++++++++++++++++++,~I=~=I77I=+++++?I77I?=?Z:NMN8$I?+=+,~I7=?I+++++======
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++:Z+=+???III?II+==~+7,8NMMD$I+++++=+++??+++++=======
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++~$+??II??77?I?,78NMMMDZI++=++~++?I?++++=======~~
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++,7???II$8N?,Z8NMMMN8Z7?+=+=++~???++++=====~~~~~
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++,,~:~:=,Z?+?7$DZ,NMMMMMN8$7?+=+=++:???++++++===~~~~~:
++++++++++++++++++++++,,,~~=+I7$$O,ZI++?OM~MMMMMMN8$I?+++=+++??+++++++=====~~:::
++++++++++++++++++++,~=?7$ZO8DNNNMM~8Z7?ZD~MMMMNDO$I?+===+++???+?++++=====~~~:::
+++++++++++++++++,~=I$ODNNMMMMMMMMM,$7IIZ+MMMND8Z7I+====~+++I??++++++====~~~~:::
++++++++++++++,~~?Z8DNMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~ZI7$,MNN8OZ7?+=====+++I???++++++====~~~~::,
+++++++++++++,~I8DNMMMMMMMNDD8DDDNND,I?I+DD88O$7?+==~~=+++???+?++++++====~~~:::,
+++++++++++,~+ZNMMMMMMMMN8OZZOO8888OO:??~88OZ$I??+=~~==++~I???+++++++====~~~::,,
+++++++++,,=$NMMMMND8888OZ$$$$$$$$$777$$$ZZZ$I??+==~~=+++????++++++++====~~~::,,

Mantis drawing!

........  ........                                                             
.......  ..........                                                             
.,?+.. ..       ....... .    .                                                 
,?$I7.....  . ......+~~~.....                                                   
?I?ZI7..... .. ....=~+~+$.....                                                 
I+.7OII....   .....=?~IZZ8O$..                                                 
I~.O$Z?+..     ...,7IOZ$O8O8Z... ...                                           
I=.,$$Z7..     ...,O:,...O88OZ.....                                             
~O..8$$Z$.    ............OO8OZ,.. .                                           
.,Z..$77$Z.............:D8.O88$Z7... ...                                       
....,=I7$7I...  ......8ZOZO$7OOOZO.......                                       
.,=~.:I$$Z7~.... ....$D$OZO,.,O8OZO... ..                                       
.77$I$,,$ZZ7.......,Z8$8OO.....+O8ZD.........                                   
.7.?I7?Z,?Z$O.....?Z8$ZZZ.......78O$O.......                                   
.7:.$ZIZI$IZ$...+ZZ8:$Z7..... ...O8OZ$I.... .                                   
.,$..=ZI7ZIZ$+7Z$8.=$Z,..........=D8Z8Z7Z?....                                 
...+::IOOZ$ZIZZZ..7$Z..............DZD8$OO$7~......                             
.....,~..78OZZZ?$I$~. .....,. .....OODD7OZZZZI?....                             
.......:,...?8Z$Z. .......:II,.....ZO7O8+ZZZ$O7?,.                             
                         ...?..II....IO78OO7Z$ZZ7I?~........                   
                         ....I....ZI..I8ID8887ZZ$Z$???.......                   
                         .....~.....+$+Z87NDDOO?O$$ZII+?,....                   
                         .... ,,......~Z8ZO+888OO?Z$$ZI?I?=......               
                              .~........O77ID?DO8OZIZ7Z7?+I++,....             
                             ...I......OD..$O8N=8OOOO$77$I?I???=....           
                             ......+.IO?...:ZDDO8I88OOZ$I$77I+=+++....... .     
                              .....:O:......88,,77Z7D8OZZ$7$77?I?+=+~.......   
                             ....:7.........DDI$,+D7ODZDOO$$777I?=~++??:....   
                              ....:....... ..?+....ZONO8$8OOO$7$77+?~~~~+=..   
                             .....I.....   ...   ...Z88DO8O$OOOI$$?O+~=~~===,. 
                              ...........          .7.N8O88DZZZOZ$Z77I.:=~=~=,..
                              .....=  ..           .?...O88DOD8ZZOZZ$$77...~=...
                                   ?....           .......+DDNO8Z$Z$ZZZO$I......
                                 ...=...           ..$... ....+$IZZZ7$:=O$$?....
                                   ...I..          ..,....   ... .=7$Z$$+....,..
                                   ....I. .        ...I....  .... . .7$$$$$$....
                                   ......,.        ...Z......     .. ..$ZZ~7$Z$=
                                   .. . .          ....7...       .......,O::...
                                     ....          ....,.....     ..............
                                                       .7....                   
                                                       ..~...                   
                                                        .....                   
                                                        .....                   
                                                       .....$  .               
                                                       ......:.. 
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

And map_allanak.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

The two ascii logos that Thunkkin put up both include alphanumeric characters. Disallowing them will make drawing paintings without alphanumeric characters more difficult.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.