Endless Drunkenness

Started by jcljules, December 11, 2008, 03:56:13 PM

Alright, is it just me who thinks that you should become less drunk even when logged out? Because I'm tired of logging in while drunk (IC, I mean) nearly three IG weeks after whatever event made me drunk. When asked to account for my drunkenness IC, I can hardly say "There was this party four weeks ago!" and expect to be believed.

Does anyone else agree?
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

Everybody agrees.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: jcljules on December 11, 2008, 03:56:13 PM
Alright, is it just me who thinks that you should become less drunk even when logged out? Because I'm tired of logging in while drunk (IC, I mean) nearly three IG weeks after whatever event made me drunk. When asked to account for my drunkenness IC, I can hardly say "There was this party four weeks ago!" and expect to be believed.

Does anyone else agree?

I think that all effect timers should run down while logged out.  I'd include spells and all sorts of other stuff in there.

"You there citizen, why are you floating?"  
"Well Lord Templar, there was this RPT and the gemmers got carried away..."
"That was over a year ago!"
"Uhhhh..."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: staggerlee on December 11, 2008, 03:58:56 PM
Quote from: jcljules on December 11, 2008, 03:56:13 PM

Does anyone else agree?

I think that all effect timers should run down while logged out.  I'd include spells and all sorts of other stuff in there.

"You there citizen, why are you floating?"  
"Well Lord Templar, there was this RPT and the gemmers got carried away..."
"That was over a year ago!"
"Uhhhh..."

Hehehehe... I love improvised GDB scenes.

Oh and everything except poison, hunger and thirst timers should decline while logged off.

Quote from: jcljules on December 11, 2008, 04:33:25 PM
Oh and everything except poison, hunger, thirst, dungeon sentence, and a few other things not proper to mention here timers should decline while logged off.

There ya go.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

No, no.  Jail time is an OOC punishment.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I kinda think that jailtime too should decline while logged off... wait before attacking me--but I also think they should be significantly increased to make them more realistic. So you'd be in jail for a few RL days, but the time would elapse regardless of whether or not you were logged in. Maybe you'd be required to log in for at least an hour of it or something.

emote covers his head with his hands defensively as the hordes begin to clamber for his head.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 11, 2008, 05:50:04 PM
No, no.  Jail time is an OOC punishment.

Read it again. You're being confused by the negatives.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Not my week for perceptiveness.

What would even be the point of having a jail if we could just log off and do other stuff while the timer runs down?

"But I got locked in jail once, and logged off for RL years, and I'm still there. That's unrealistic."

There's no due process on Zalanthas. People get forgotten in jails all the time.

Jail times are fine like they are.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 11, 2008, 06:07:24 PM
There's no due process on Zalanthas. People get forgotten in jails all the time.

Thats actually a really good point. I was reading articles about traffic violators in third world countries having their files lost and being kept in prison for years and years.

Quote from: jcljules on December 11, 2008, 06:08:39 PM

Thats actually a really good point. I was reading articles about traffic violators in third world countries having their files lost and being kept in prison for years and years.

Now imagine if those files were limited to the guard's memory.

Really, you're lucky to ever be let out of a Zalanthan jail in the first place.

I would agree with the drunkeness timer thing. If I'm drunk when it's time to log out, I'll stay on until that's gone, or at least until it's almost gone. Though, I've seen MUDs where the alcohol was treated as a poison by code (so if you were immune or resistant to poison, alcohol would affect you less, or not at all). If that was the case here, then the only way to run down drunkeness would be to run down poison. Boy wouldn't that be fun to die of a poisonous bite while logged off.
Quote from: Rahnevyn
QuoteWhat is the difference between a Highlord and Overlord?
OLs are like HLs on steroids. They make the Really Big Decisions that affect the course of the entire game.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on December 11, 2008, 06:16:26 PM

Or worse: a half-giant guard's memory.
Tlaloc
Legend

A half-giant soldier of Tektolnes opens a cell door, peering inside with a dull gaze.

A half-giant soldier of Tektolnes says, in sirihish, "Umm.... whys you in here 'gain?"

A Dark, Dank Cell [N Quit]
It sucks to be here.

A weak, withering corpse is here, rotting.

A half-giant soldier of Tektolnes says in sirihish, growing angry, "Why you not answer! Why you never answer! Why nobody talks to me!"

A half-giant soldier of Tektolnes begins to cry softly, slamming the cell door.

Quote from: Tlaloc on December 11, 2008, 06:43:42 PM

I was going to say exactly that. Hah.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Tlaloc on December 11, 2008, 06:43:42 PM

I once used that exact excuse IG when I logged out and didn't log back in for like two IG years.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: jcljules on December 11, 2008, 06:58:01 PM

A half-giant soldier of Tektolnes opens a cell door, peering inside with a dull gaze.

A half-giant soldier of Tektolnes says, in sirihish, "Umm.... whys you in here 'gain?"

A Dark, Dank Cell [N Quit]
It sucks to be here.

A weak, withering corpse is here, rotting.

A half-giant soldier of Tektolnes says in sirihish, growing angry, "Why you not answer! Why you never answer! Why nobody talks to me!"

A half-giant soldier of Tektolnes begins to cry softly, slamming the cell door.

;D
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Lets not -- drift from the subject matter.

Derails aside, if 'drunk loss' weren't a possibility during log out, I'd be in favor of it quickening during ic time.  It makes no sense that you should be plastered for seven ic days off of three beers either.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

I would also be all for reducing the IC time that you're drunk, on top of drunk timers ticking out while you're logged off.

I mean, if I can get totally plastered and then go to work only slightly drunk six hours later, I don't see why my character gets totally plastered and then can't walk straight for three days. 

Unless they're doing things during their blackout period that I'm not a party to.   ::)
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Drunk code needs a complete rewrite. Like a number of other things, the relationship is almost completely binary. Either you get so drunk off of a single bottle that you can't walk straight for the next IC month, or you chug down three casks of the best Kadian brandy and you still can't but barely get a buzz.

We need a more realistic tolerance and recovery.

The biggest change I'd like to see is a (somewhat random and/or hunger-dependent) delay between taking a drink and feeling the effects.

Not sure if it's taken into account or not, but I'd also like to see food and how full you are having an effect on drunkenness too.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 13, 2008, 04:07:34 PM
The biggest change I'd like to see is a (somewhat random and/or hunger-dependent) delay between taking a drink and feeling the effects.

Definately a badass idea, let that last sneaky shot come around and bite you in the ass 10 minutes later... it happens to me all the time.

But for the OP idea, agreed completely. Would like to see it only effecting the spice/alcohol code though.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Since Armageddon is a game, we can take liberties with realism, and make it so conditions are more ideal for characters in the world. This is why you never have to go to the bathroom or sleep, for example.

It's also why you can stay drunk for weeks on end.

I mean seriously, if you could get drunk for weeks on weeks off just a few shots, without suffering from alcohol poisoning or liver damage, WHY WOULDN'T YOU?
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on December 14, 2008, 08:56:38 PM
I mean seriously, if you could get drunk for weeks on weeks off just a few shots, without suffering from alcohol poisoning or liver damage, WHY WOULDN'T YOU?

Thanks for the new quote  ;D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I'm fine with drunkenness taking a while to go away... what I'm not fine with is how the timer doesn't go down while logged off. Being drunk for ten days IG is fine by me.... being drunk after taking a month long break from Armageddon is not.

December 15, 2008, 02:40:18 AM #27 Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 02:41:52 AM by Zira
Quote from: musashi on December 14, 2008, 09:00:07 PM
Quote from: Rahnevyn on December 14, 2008, 08:56:38 PM

Thanks for the new quote  ;D
Oh poo on you and your speediness. I refuse to change my sig back!

Quote from: jcljules on December 14, 2008, 09:15:18 PM
I'm fine with drunkenness taking a while to go away... what I'm not fine with is how the timer doesn't go down while logged off. Being drunk for ten days IG is fine by me.... being drunk after taking a month long break from Armageddon is not.
Agreed
Quote from: Rahnevyn
QuoteWhat is the difference between a Highlord and Overlord?
OLs are like HLs on steroids. They make the Really Big Decisions that affect the course of the entire game.

Next reboot drunkenness will fade at the same rate while you are logged off as if you were logged on.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on December 15, 2008, 10:26:41 AM
Next reboot drunkenness will fade at the same rate while you are logged off as if you were logged on.

Wooooooooohhhh!!!!

I am so proud. I posted about something on the GDB, and now a code change is happening.  ;D

Wow.  Thanks.

Woo!

>drink cask (in celebration)

Your vision goes black.

Quote from: Cutthroat on December 15, 2008, 12:35:51 PM
Woo!

Your vision goes black.

>steal Cuttroat's boots

No, really, thanks Morgenes.

Edit: Dealing with rampant typos.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote from: Morgenes on December 15, 2008, 10:26:41 AM

<3