Giant wildlife

Started by FightClub, December 03, 2008, 04:54:48 AM

Think I've got an easy fix for giant wildlife giving away their location to people who are nearby and would hear them.  Without going too much into detail of mechanics.  A certain spell made me think of this, a bit of ringing, would there be anyway to trigger the grid around these animals to make such an echo when entered upon.  Like this for example. * Being a mek ^ being the surrounding rooms.

^^^
^*^
^^^

Now n,w,s,e of the rooms you're going to always see the mek, but in all of these rooms, and perhaps further you should see it as well, what I'm thinking of is perhaps an echo that moves with the animal that gives off something like

s
Stinging sand swirls around you.
Desert of Meks [NESW]
   Short wave dunes roll northward, each no more than three cords tall, but
more than five times that in length. Dull yellow sand and thick, reddish-
brown dust make up the desert landscape here. The sun hangs soundlessly in
the sky above, beating down relentlessly on the hot, dry sands. Red dust
clouds the air in a malicious attempt to blind and choke travelers.

*You hear a loud vibration coming from nearby (or perhaps the actual direction)*

These would be of course customized for each type of wildlife, per say stomping for meks, vibrating or cracking ground for worms, stuff like that.  Anyway, what do you think? Impossible, possible?
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Kind of an ominous feel to it. I'd shiver IRL if I saw that shit IG. I'd feel the sense of impending doom.

*You hear a loud vibration coming from the northeast.*
*You hear a loud vibration coming from the southeast.*
*You hear a loud vibration coming from the northwest*
*You hear a loud vibration coming from the west.*

look west

[Near]
A HUGE GIGANTIC FRICKEN MEKILLOT!
[Far]
Does it matter? THERE IS A HUGE GIGANTIC FRICKEN MEKILLOT OVER THERE!
[Very Far]
YOU ARE DUMB! WATCH OUT!

You think, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? THERE IS A HUGE GIGANTIC FRICKEN MEKILLOT OVER THERE!
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I like that idea. I should be able to hear a giant creature with all the stealth of a mack truck approaching. I get scared enough seeing huge creatures far away, imagine my wild-eyed fear if I hear one!

Why make it an auditory cue?

Why not visual?

Instead of "you hear noises from the northeast" make it "to the northeast, you see a gigantic mekillot."  Switch the visual to auditory during night or other darkness, or for people who are physically or magickally blind.

I mean...these are -clearly- the types of things that nobody is going to overlook, even if they're balls-deep in their favorite f-me.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

A random cup of water used for foreshadowing is standing here.

echo  Ripples appear on the cup surface here.
Quote from: AJM
Only noobs quote themselves.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 03, 2008, 02:39:05 PM
Why make it an auditory cue?

Why not visual?

Instead of "you hear noises from the northeast" make it "to the northeast, you see a gigantic mekillot."  Switch the visual to auditory during night or other darkness, or for people who are physically or magickally blind.

I mean...these are -clearly- the types of things that nobody is going to overlook, even if they're balls-deep in their favorite f-me.

Too unpredictable code wise. What if some idiot lures a mekillot into the streets, filled with many corners and so on. There is a 'possibility' of meeting one of those where you 'wouldnt' see them, to allow visual echoes. But the possibility is so slim and irrelevent, it shouldnt be the reason to preclude such a logical thing as being aware of these huge critters in the sand, only because they're diagonal of you. So auditory echoes are niice. Thumbs up.

Quote from: Dar on December 04, 2008, 03:47:31 PM
Too unpredictable code wise. What if some idiot lures a mekillot into the streets, filled with many corners and so on. There is a 'possibility' of meeting one of those where you 'wouldnt' see them, to allow visual echoes.

In the desert:
The earth trembles beneath your feet.
In the city:
  Shouts, screams, and gurgles come from the northwest.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Yea!

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 05, 2008, 10:37:42 AM

In the desert:
The earth trembles beneath your feet.
In the city:
  Shouts, screams, and gurgles come from the northwest.

Win.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I just keep getting war flashbacks of that time I visited Jurassic Park and the ripples in that glass of water as the dinosaurs approached.... win.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

December 06, 2008, 04:48:12 PM #13 Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 04:52:03 PM by flurry
You smell a wumpus.

I can't help but think of Hunt the Wumpus whenever this idea comes up.  I'm sure some of you other geeks know Hunt the Wumpus is this old text game.

In the game, you'd be in this series of dark rooms, and whenever you were in a room adjacent to a room with a threat, you'd get a warning.  If you were in a room adjacent to a bottomless pit, you'd get the echo

You feel a draft.

The monster you were hunting was called a wumpus.  If you accidentally went into the same room as the wumpus, you'd die. (You were supposed to shoot an arrow at it in the darkness, and hope you were aiming in the right direction.)

If you were in a room adjacent to the one the wumpus was in, you'd get the echo

You smell a wumpus.

To make a long story short, I like the idea.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: flurry on December 06, 2008, 04:48:12 PM
You smell a wumpus.

I can't help but think of Hunt the Wumpus whenever this idea comes up.  I'm sure some of you other geeks know Hunt the Wumpus is this old text game.

In the game, you'd be in this series of dark rooms, and whenever you were in a room adjacent to a room with a threat, you'd get a warning.  If you were in a room adjacent to a bottomless pit, you'd get the echo

You feel a draft.

The monster you were hunting was called a wumpus.  If you accidentally went into the same room as the wumpus, you'd die. (You were supposed to shoot an arrow at it in the darkness, and hope you were aiming in the right direction.)

If you were in a room adjacent to the one the wumpus was in, you'd get the echo

You smell a wumpus.

To make a long story short, I like the idea.

I grew up playing that on an old Radioshack TRS-80.
Now that was a real computer.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: staggerlee on December 06, 2008, 05:06:26 PM
I grew up playing that on an old Radioshack TRS-80.
Now that was a real computer.

Hah. Hah. Aha. Ahahaha.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Very much like.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Now all we need is for rogue gunslinger to tactically post a few more times, upping the post count with positive feedback, so it will get imm attention.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.