Tracking

Started by Kauket, May 20, 2003, 05:53:57 AM

What do you think about tracking outside or near city/village gates?  Technically speaking there is all sorts of (virtual) traffic going on in these spots.  Would I really be able to decipher that the elf I am chasing down stealthily moved south of the gates in a location where there is, theoretically, a constant stream of passersby?  Or for that matter, is it really fair for the human hunting my little elven self down to see my footsteps leading south of the gates?  In the open plains is one thing, but in places such as city gates, or outposts, etc., the only real reason anyone can track someone there is because they are the only PC who walked past there recently.  I suppose one could argue this by saying they are filtering through the virtual traffic and uncovering only their target.

Just a thought.

Tracking doesn't need to just be following footsteps, asking passerby, gateguards, that's how I've been explaining city hunt for a while...

Of course, there isn't any difference code-wise between the city and wilderness versions of the skill.  I think a great code addition would be not only to change the echo seen when you use the hunt skill in the city, but also to perhaps make the information you get more complete.

I mean, if you ask somebody if they saw a "Hairy, battle-scarred half-giant" pass by, it is unlikely you will get the following response.

"Well, I did notice some sort of a humanoid pass by on the road.  He or she had a very long stride, and was quite large too."
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"Of course, there isn't any difference code-wise between the city and wilderness versions of the skill.  I think a great code addition would be not only to change the echo seen when you use the hunt skill in the city, but also to perhaps make the information you get more complete.

I mean, if you ask somebody if they saw a "Hairy, battle-scarred half-giant" pass by, it is unlikely you will get the following response.

"Well, I did notice some sort of a humanoid pass by on the road.  He or she had a very long stride, and was quite large too."
I'm with you on this one.  You track the one person that walked away from you...you are following those tracks, and just because someone that is the same race went walking past, now you have two identicle trails to sort through...what if they're wearing different boots?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I have to disagree slightly.  Seems to me that lots of NPC's are moving around the city these days.  That makes for a bunch of tracks, especially along well traveled roads.  I find that if I'm hot on someone's trail, I can usually pick their tracks out.  If there is even an hour (IC) delay it has become much more difficult, more than that and forget it.  Of course along sidestreets and less traveled paths it's easier, but If you run through a marketplace, you're gone.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?