RPTs: Gone Missing

Started by Gimfalisette, November 26, 2008, 01:37:40 PM

I just want to chime in to agree with the idea that running RPTs is a shared responsibility.  Leaders and minions, clanned and independent, everyone can get one started.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on November 27, 2008, 02:12:07 PM
Perhaps you could offer some advice on how to think up an idea that will actually attract some interest, because I've had little success at that.

I'm no expert, but here are a few things I've learned.

• Getting things rolling often means finding a way to sell people on the idea.
  • Don't give up on it too easily. If people see that you're enthusiastic, they may warm up to the idea.
  • Don't get discouraged if things don't happen as planned. One imm gave me a good piece of advice one time: RPTs rarely go as you anticipate they will.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

RPT's or even basic gatherings do need a lot of help from the playerbase involved.

Personally, if you run even a minor event and no one shows up will you run one again?
Will you devote all that much more time needed to run a larger scene?

Most of the playerbase I've talked to typically make characters with goals to avoid
leadership positions because of the stress and responsibility involved. I'm one of
them for sure. There are heavy periods when things are not very much fun and
there's always a strong chance no one will show up to your RPT.

It takes active and dedicated groups to make RPT's work, not just leaders. PC's with
any excuse to be involved have to go in and participate even if the idea is junk because
maybe,  the next one will not be. You want a next one, don't you? Otherwise, you may
not get it.

Cheers,
HD.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.