? about stealty from ATS: Yo! Rahnvyen.

Started by fourTwenty, November 19, 2008, 01:44:13 PM

November 19, 2008, 01:44:13 PM Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:52:53 PM by fourTwenty
I'm pretty sure whisper does -not- break hide. At least it didn't a few weeks ago.
It really should, especially if the hidden player is emoting physical contact. >:(

Edit to add: I really -really- think hidden players shouldn't  emote physical contact >:(
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 19, 2008, 01:44:13 PM
I'm pretty sure whisper does -not- break hide. At least it didn't a few weeks ago.
It really should, especially if the hidden player is emoting physical contact. >:(

Edit to add: I really -really- think hidden players shouldn't  emote physical contact >:(

I'm pretty sure an emote or speaking break hide.  There are however other methods of concealment that are much more generous as to what they allow you to do.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Emotes of any kind do not break hide. Speaking breaks hide. Whisper I'm not sure about now, but it used to break hide for sure.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 19, 2008, 01:59:35 PM
Emotes of any kind do not break hide. Speaking breaks hide. Whisper I'm not sure about now, but it used to break hide for sure.

Really? I thought emote reflected visibly, and hemote was for subtle or audible things? That's surprising... but doesn't change things much.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Well, It(whisper) didn't in this case. Though they may not have been "hidden".
Emoting does not break hide.

Again though, emoting physical contact while hidden kinda pissed me off. I mean, if you can touch me I ought to be able to touch you.
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 19, 2008, 02:04:25 PM
Well, It(whisper) didn't in this case. Though they may not have been "hidden".
Emoting does not break hide.

Again though, emoting physical contact while hidden kinda pissed me off. I mean, if you can touch me I ought to be able to touch you.

Generally, assume good intent.  They may well have been ridiculously skilled or hidden through unconventional means.
In some circumstances you're probably right, it's a judgement call though.  If some kind of serious trouble resulted from it or its an ongoing problem you can always send a complaint to the staff and let them look into it.

The title of this thread makes my head hurt.

Quote from: staggerlee on November 19, 2008, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 19, 2008, 01:59:35 PM

Really? I thought emote reflected visibly, and hemote was for subtle or audible things? That's surprising... but doesn't change things much.

A regular-old emote where the PC is hidden will come out looking like this:

You type...
emote In the crowd, @ giggles

They see...
In the crowd, someone giggles.

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 19, 2008, 02:04:25 PM

One of my PCs had kind of a stalker who did that a few instances over a period of time. It was pretty fun. I just played it off as there was enough of a crowd around that I didn't see exactly who touched my PC. I think it's fine as long as the environment has sufficient PCs / NPCs / VNPCs in it to explain the hiddenness.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 19, 2008, 02:07:34 PM
One of my PCs had kind of a stalker who did that a few instances over a period of time. It was pretty fun. I just played it off as there was enough of a crowd around that I didn't see exactly who touched my PC. I think it's fine as long as the environment has sufficient PCs / NPCs / VNPCs in it to explain the hiddenness.

Yeah, I played along with it IG, jumping up, staring angrily around, mumbling threats. But the position I was at nobody would be that close behind me. Especially after the first time I stood up drew my sword o' doom an' told everybody to back the feck up. I just don't think it should be possible to sneak up on somebody, poke them in the side, and whisper in their ear. I mean there's a point where it goes beyond insanely skilled to really pushing my immersion.

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 19, 2008, 02:30:00 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on November 19, 2008, 02:07:34 PM

Yeah, I played along with it IG, jumping up, staring angrily around, mumbling threats. But the position I was at nobody would be that close behind me. Especially after the first time I stood up drew my sword o' doom an' told everybody to back the feck up. I just don't think it should be possible to sneak up on somebody, poke them in the side, and whisper in their ear. I mean there's a point where it goes beyond insanely skilled to really pushing my immersion.

Agreed.

If it were me, I would assume the best of the player, and that it is all IC.

So from that, make your own (in-game) assumptions about how someone could pull all that off.