Player/Staff Meeting

Started by Nyr, November 06, 2008, 02:16:52 PM

When would be the best time for a player/staff meeting for you as a player?

A weekday sometime around peak time (close to 8 PM Eastern)
25 (32.1%)
A weekend sometime around peak time (close to 8 PM Eastern)
29 (37.2%)
A weekend mid-afternoon (around 3:00 PM or 4:00 PM Eastern)
23 (29.5%)
Other (below)
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 78

We'd like to have another player/staff meeting or two in the near future.

This would probably be AFTER the holiday season this year, so expect the date to be somewhere around early to mid January.  The dates and times will be decided based on feedback from this poll.

If you have other suggestions for poll options or times to meet, please post those below.  I figured that these would be the most general options.  Note that we'll probably do two meetings to accommodate players from different time zones.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Can we make sure the actually date and time gets announced at least a couple weeks in advance?  I often have to demand my evening PC time I otherwise wouldn't have quite a while in advance, so that my sister doesn't abruptly have a 'paper to do' or something.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

<3 Nyr
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Hmm.  What to say right now.  It's like a 2 year old request finally got answered.  I feel a release.

I suggest a Saturday at 8 p.m.

When will you post a thread or announcement, with the topics of the live discussion?  Probably in January, I assume.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

November 06, 2008, 02:41:32 PM #5 Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:49:57 PM by Fathi
I would suggest a Sunday over a Saturday simply because Saturday is a work day for quite a few people. However, I think a Saturday would be a better bet over a weeknight.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on November 06, 2008, 02:18:49 PM
Can we make sure the actually date and time gets announced at least a couple weeks in advance?  I often have to demand my evening PC time I otherwise wouldn't have quite a while in advance, so that my sister doesn't abruptly have a 'paper to do' or something.

Yes, we should announce things in enough notice for everyone's sake (including our own) in order to plan to be there.

Quote from: manonfire on November 06, 2008, 02:21:56 PM
What's the topic?

I don't know.  Let's figure out when it will be first, though.

Quote from: mansa on November 06, 2008, 02:39:55 PM
Hmm.  What to say right now.  It's like a 2 year old request finally got answered.  I feel a release.

I suggest a Saturday at 8 p.m.

When will you post a thread or announcement, with the topics of the live discussion?  Probably in January, I assume.

Sometime after we figure out when it will be.  There used to be logs somewhere of staff/player meetings, but I can't find them.  I assume we'd go by previous formats for meetings.  I've never been to one or participated in one before, so I'm not sure what those previous requirements have been.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

So how does this work?  We log into our players and are all magickally transported to the same room?
Or is it done over IRC or a different media?
Only through hard work and perseverance can one truly suffer

Quote from: nyrk on November 06, 2008, 03:26:46 PM
So how does this work?  We log into our players and are all magickally transported to the same room?
Or is it done over IRC or a different media?

We all wish up and be transported to a room.

Everybody has their hoods up

Immortals are visible

There is a item that is given to people, in order for them to talk.

People use the OOC command

Usually goes like this:

Topic:

Staff says something
Player says something
Staff says something
Another Staff says something
Player responds
Staff says something
Another Player jumps in and responds
Staff say something
Another staff says something

New Topic:

repeat.

If someone wants to say something, they wish a specific staff member, who is running everything.

People have pre-written responses, to make it flow faster.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

http://www.armageddon.org/rp/seminars/index.html

Here is the link to the old ones.  Good reading.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

the one with the coolest hooded item wins
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I would totally enjoy this meeting, especially if it were around 7 est, on a Sunday evening. Why so early? Because Sunday *night* isn't the weekend. It's a weeknight. Normal working people have to get up to go to work in the morning. Sunday day is still the weekend, but if a meeting doesn't end until midnight sunday night, it'd mean a lot of people would either not go, or would leave early. So earlier than 8 would be great if it's on a Sunday.

Saturday afternoon's not too bad, it'd leave time for "people who have lives outside of Arm" to go out on Saturday night. You know, the club, or the movies, or a date - things that are rumored to occur on Saturday nights when your computer is broken. Not that I would know.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

WHATEVER you do, DON'T make this on a Monday or Thursday during peak. That's the single iron-clad time that I can't make it.

Yes, I realize I'm being selfish. There are other weekdays! Please?
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Fathi on November 06, 2008, 02:41:32 PM
I would suggest a Sunday over a Saturday simply because Saturday is a work day for quite a few people. However, I think a Saturday would be a better bet over a weeknight.

Speaking as one of those players who do play on the otherside of the timeline I would say Saturday is better than a Sunday. If it was scheduled for 8pm on a Sunday, then that means Monday morning local time.

Yes, Saturdays are a working days for a number of people, Sundays are also working days for some people and you'll never find something suitable for everyone. I just suggest that if a weekend is chosen, it be scheduled for a Saturday so that it really is a weekend time for all of the players and staff.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Perhaps split it over two days (sat AND sun).

I THINK a good number of players would be at both and everyone would get their opinions hear.
If this were the case, Someone could take on the responsibility of posting the first night's discussions ASAP after they are over.

It MIGHT also help the division to make night one about topic A and night two about topic B.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Nyr on November 06, 2008, 02:16:52 PM
We'd like to have another player/staff meeting or two in the near future.

This would probably be AFTER the holiday season this year, so expect the date to be somewhere around early to mid January.  The dates and times will be decided based on feedback from this poll.

If you have other suggestions for poll options or times to meet, please post those below.  I figured that these would be the most general options.  Note that we'll probably do two meetings to accommodate players from different time zones.

Sorry, I though you meant two spread out meetings.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Any news on this?

Bumping it on the IDB, will get back to you.

Quote from: mansa on November 06, 2008, 03:38:59 PM
There is a item that is given to people, in order for them to talk.

Ahh, the Staff of Pontification

The two dates (separated as they are due to Valentine's Day weekend):

Saturday, February 7th, 8 PM Eastern  ( -5 GMT)
Saturday, February 21st, 4 PM Eastern ( -5 GMT)

These player/staff meetings will be different in some ways from past meetings.  One of these differences will be the location and rules.  Due to a surprise that we're still getting solidified, the staff meeting will be in a different place and done in a different "style."

We're still discussing how the meetings will happen and the layout of the meetings, but we will be having the player/staff meetings on those two dates, barring any unforeseen problems.

Yay!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Will this be posted in the Staff Announcements forum?
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on January 19, 2009, 01:19:59 PM
Will this be posted in the Staff Announcements forum?

I will post up on Staff Announcements the time and instructions on how to get to the Player/Staff Meeting when that information is ready.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

One of the challenges in this meeting is that I could see it getting caught up in generalities (not to point to the Player/Staff Meeting Topics thread siderail as an example but... *points to the Player/Staff Meeting Topics thread siderail*).  I thought it worth recommending that, now that a rough agenda's been outlined, folks come pre-prepared with concrete examples (even if they hide the character's name unless permission is given for IC things).  Not to guarantee that we'd all have time to contribute said examples - we're chatty - but a little preparation from the pbase side will improve the effectiveness.

And that we have a pretty "parking lot" attendent (or whatever you want to call it) to cut off tangents so that they can be pulled later into the meetings or carried on the forums after the fact.  (I know.  Tangents.  Who goes on those? 8))
Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

Quote from: Nyr on January 19, 2009, 08:45:22 AM
The two dates (separated as they are due to Valentine's Day weekend):

Saturday, February 7th, 8 PM Eastern  ( -5 GMT)
Saturday, February 21st, 4 PM Eastern ( -5 GMT)

These player/staff meetings will be different in some ways from past meetings.  One of these differences will be the location and rules.  Due to a surprise that we're still getting solidified, the staff meeting will be in a different place and done in a different "style."

We're still discussing how the meetings will happen and the layout of the meetings, but we will be having the player/staff meetings on those two dates, barring any unforeseen problems.

This is tonight, right?

At 8pm Eastern I will be on my way to getting very drunk. Unfair.

Someone's going to be logging this, right?

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 07, 2009, 04:01:10 PM

Yeah, I won't be able to make it either, but I definitely want to see the log.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: Ourla on February 07, 2009, 04:38:22 PM
Quote from: a strange shadow on February 07, 2009, 04:01:10 PM

Yeah, I won't be able to make it either, but I definitely want to see the log.

Me three. I have to work until 11pm EST.

I may or may not be able to attend as well. At any rate, I'm going to just sit in there and log it, and I'm sure the immortals will post a log of it somewhere. If not, I'd be happy to present mine to anyone who wants it afterwards.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I plan to log.  Worship me.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

This is happening in 23 minutes, just as a heads up to all those people like me.

Will this be left open at least for tonight for discussion about the meeting?

Re: Crafting in Taverns.

As mentioned there IS a crafting hall in Tuluk, that is NEVER USED! Someone should fix this.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 07, 2009, 08:03:40 PM
Will this be left open at least for tonight for discussion about the meeting?

We can leave it open for a while tonight, but I will bring it down later.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I'll be posting the the three sections in separate threads, with minor editing, once the meeting is complete.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

<BUMPITY BUMP BUMP>

Please staff, may we have another?
Grebber - One who grebs.

I missed the last one, pwetty please?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Please, would be fun with the new ideas that we have.

Another player staff meeting is a possibility. We'd like to do these regularly, likely once or twice per year.  At the moment we have a lot going on Admin wise with shifts to new roles, staff recruitment etc. Once we have those handled we'll look at having another meeting.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.