Starting a New Character with some automatic flags..

Started by mansa, October 24, 2008, 03:28:37 PM

October 27, 2008, 04:15:17 PM #25 Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:33:54 PM by Morgenes
Edited:

'Nosave arrest' will default to on (not resisting arrest) for newbies.

Default prompt set to '%hhp %vmv %tst>' (so all new characters will get this)

(Note that you always could do: 'prompt default' to get the default prompt, just on Armageddon the default was '>').
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

prompt %hhp %vmv %tst> [Please check HELP PROMPT]

I think that would be best.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Rock on. Little UI improvements like these should help retain new players.  And it'll make life slightly less hazard-prone for my next 0-day character.

THANKS MORGENES! ;D
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I like it when my prompt shows the current/max of hp/move/stun.  ie.

prompt %h/%H %v/%V %t/%T

also, is it only me or does the infobar command not work in zMud?

<%tst %hhp %vmv> makes more sense, because as a newbie, you'll be wanting to watch your stun a lot more than your hp, and perhaps (arguably) in combat too. I always prompt my stun ahead of my hp because it's just so vital to a lifestyle where contact/barrier meets weapons and fists regularly.

I understand that hp first may be similar to most other MUDs however. Something to ponder I 'spose.
"The perfect police state has no police." - William S. Burroughs

Quote from: fourTwenty on October 24, 2008, 04:57:37 PM
and maybe even aliases travel from PC to PC.

Your aliases aren't saved locally within your client?

I have aliases for both a mundane and 'gicker prompt. Whenever I feel the need I just type disp1 or disp2.

Quote from: Morgenes on October 26, 2008, 01:57:16 PM
Ok, question for you guys, if we were to start handing out things like a waterskin or some food, would it be best to load it in their backpack, or just their inventory?

Also, do you guys have any suggestions for prompt format?  Something like '%hhp/%vmv/%tsp> '

A very basic prompt... <H(%h)%H S(%t)%T V(%v)%V>

The prompt I use and prefer... <%o / %a / %A / %k / %s / %w>\\n<H%h/%H S%t/%T V%v/%V>

Quote from: fourTwenty on October 24, 2008, 04:57:37 PM
But I love the idea of having your prompt, nosave_flags, and maybe even aliases travel from PC to PC.

See http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,31870.msg393436.html#new

This is something we're doing for Arm 2, not Arm 1.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Winterless on October 28, 2008, 10:15:52 AM
The prompt I use and prefer... <%o / %a / %A / %k / %s / %w>\\n<H%h/%H S%t/%T V%v/%V>

That looks familiar! ;)
Amor Fati

I think new characters should start with Mercy On.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on November 20, 2008, 11:41:36 PM
Besides for HG's and Muls, I don't think any newbie is a danger of killing folks.

JaRoD

Quote from: Cerelum on November 20, 2008, 11:59:11 PM
Quote from: mansa on November 20, 2008, 11:41:36 PM
Besides for HG's and Muls, I don't think any newbie is a danger of killing folks.

JaRoD

No joke, I had a 0-day warrior almost kill someone I believe to be a sorceror. Had I known (OOCly OR ICly) how to deal with him, it would have been a tough fight. A 0-day warrior could easily accidentally kill a merchant PC if the situation was right.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Well, having Mercy On will force people to turn it off, before they "kill" someone, and remove them from the game.
...Giving people the opportunity to roleplay the final scene.

Rather than "forgetting" to turn it on, and ruining a nice death scene.

I'd rather force people to turn off mercy, than force them to turn it on.  It's the subtle things that help promote better role-play.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

it is one of the things I do as soon as I leave the Hall of Kings, before my prompt even, and I keep it on unless I am hunting NPCs critters. 
I accidentally killed a PC one who I wanted really bad to let live.  Mercy on has been my friend ever since.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Hrmm... I would like the prompt, pagelength, and nosave flags, from my last character experience to be saved to my account when I start I new character.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: Yokunama on November 24, 2008, 07:04:14 PM
Hrmm... I would like the prompt, pagelength, and nosave flags, from my last character experience to be saved to my account when I start I new character.

This will happen in the next game, as per Morgenes' post.