A better game.

Started by FantasyWriter, October 19, 2008, 04:23:02 PM

What do you all think that we as players could do to make this a better game?
This is a very broad question, so hopefully we can come up with some great ideas.

By better I mean:
More enjoyable for the players and staff.
More interactive (make every PC count).
Make the came more attractive to first time mud'ers.
Make the game more attractive to to the mud'ing community at large.

Please nothing that will put more work on staff, this is about what we thing we can do.
And of course nothing that will reveal IC sensitive info or plots. (future plots ideas would be great)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

-Defilers that leaves his enemies beheaded and floating.
-More graphic, ritualistic murders.
-More job opportunities.
-Invent more 'games' for the PC's to play. Dice and Whira's luck can only get so popular before fading away.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Log and on actually be reachable (especially leaders) - I've been guilty of this lately, sorry to those who play with/around me
Chance taking: Don't be afraid to take a risk. Sure, it -could- get you killed, but more often then not, it stems get RP for you and those around you.
More Blood: Self explanitory.
Shake things up: Add a new dimension to your character for people to see. Become an addict, get a pension for whores, be the worlds largest scrab skull collector.

Be active and play.
Log on.
Now.
Yes now.

i would like for the roads from Nak to Tuluk to be as dangerous as the docs portray.

What are some tips for travelling?

1. Don't travel unless you need to. Remember that the world outside city walls is dangerous and unfriendly.
   2. Water is valuable in the desert. Bring plenty, but not so much that you are weighted down and have trouble moving.
   3. Travel in groups. The wastes of Zalanthas are full of bandits and predators who would like nothing better than to stand over your dead body. Safety in numbers is the rule.
   4. Ride a mount if at all possible.
   5. Travel at dusk and at dawn. The heat at midday will cause you to tire very quickly, and visibility is limited at night even with both moon in the sky (you won't be able to see enemies coming). If the weather is bad, find shelter and wait it out, as raiders can come upon you by total surprise in a sandstorm.
   6. Map the area you are travelling, or know it well, or have multiple guides in case one dies. Rangers are good companions, as they have an uncanny ability to know where they are if they are good.
   7. Learn to ride well. If your mount throws you off in combat you stand a good chance of getting separated from it and becoming stranded in the desert.

thanks,
Wanting to be raided.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Agent_137 on October 19, 2008, 05:20:22 PM
a better game?

more players. That's #1.
SO VOTE.

Agreed, but how are we going to convince them to stay after they log in for the first time?

Grebber - One who grebs.

Far, far better support for new players.

We see them linkdead in the Gaj, and we feel cheated because they have cute mdescs and are within a reasonable age of our characters. :(
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

1 ) Take into consideration ooc factors.  (IE: connection issues, code issues, legitimate ooc reasons for slow responses/mistakes from others, all the meta level stuff that can make the game frustrating)
2 ) Don't assume newbies have a high Way skill, and don't get angry if people fail to respond to a Way message.
3 ) Give people time to react to things, don't spam commands.
4 ) Give people the benefit of the doubt ooc.
5 ) Understand when people need to log off suddenly, or do otherwise ooc things to get to/from a quit room.
6 ) Interact with people, especially new players or people that seem to be struggling.  Involve them, even if you have to be creative to do it.
7 ) Spend less time idling.  I've seen as many as 6 people idling together at a table or bar... interact! Do things! Stir things up!
8 ) Don't spread ic info right away, it's hard not to be excited, but it really does sap the fun for everyone.
9 ) Have fun!  If you're tired or bitter, go do something else... there's no point in playing like that. Play to have fun, and be fun to others around you.
10 ) Remember the virtual environment and the world, bring it to life.
11) Love the docs. Bring them to life.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

1. Embrace the true nature of Armageddon, and stop playing a caricature of it.

2. Don't be afraid to be violent, crude, or needlessly vicious.

3. Stick to the documentation. Treat elves like toothless, disease-ridden, maggot-infested lepers.

4. View the world as a living, breathing entity. If you see someone fail a sneak in a crowded tavern, don't start frothing at the mouth. Take into consideration what the sneak failure says to your -character-, not to you.

5. Steer clear of cutesy bullshit. You may argue that it has a place in Zalanthas, but I tend to ignore characters exhibiting such behavior.

6. Create your own fun. The characters people remember conjure their own plots, and understand that other players do not exist solely for their own amusement.

7. Use proper spelling and grammar. There are certain aesthetics involved to creating a great character, and this is one of them.

Less stale of a game world at great lengths of time. I love how the imms change things up..but then the time between that things just become stale and it seems as if the whole world is frozen and only some minor PC plots are going on. This is mostly from a mundane player's perspective.

More positive energy.

Less negative assumptions (goes with the first).
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

More things for PCs to do without depending on PCs to do them.

This could come in the form of small jobs or "quests," Like obsidian mining or salt gathering.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on October 19, 2008, 05:25:40 PM

Agreed, but how are we going to convince them to stay after they log in for the first time?

kill them with awesome emotes.

Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.