Emotes =, +, !, &

Started by Tulana, October 12, 2008, 06:42:05 PM

I don't understand how to use them. I'd appreciate some examples please!

Also this paragraph from the help files confuses me:

QuoteMultiple options exist for specifying a command emote. A one-word emote, like "nodding", can be specified with a preceding dash, like -nodding. More complex emotes can be enclosed in parantheses (), square brackets [], or asterisks **.

I understand the examples:
    > say -gruffly Got any spice?
    Gruffly, you ask, in sirihish, 'Got any spice?"

> say [in a low voice] You got any spice?
    In a low voice, you ask, in sirihish: 'You got any spice?'

> north *limping heavily*

> look elf (with contempt)
    With contempt, you look at the elf.

> look elf [with contempt]
    You look at the elf, with contempt.

...but I don't see why use one of the symbols over another ? They produce the same effect.

^his/her
!him/her
#he/she
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

If you are asking about the examples, it is to provide the ability to grammerically flow correctly. () proceeds the command, [] follows the command. I didn't know anything about **, as it never occured to me to even attempt.

If you are actually asking about the symbols to proceed keywords (~man/!man/%man/etc), I am not sure what you do not understand.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

First, !

! is him/her, which makes more sense to differentiate as 'him'.  The way to remember the difference in my head is mostly between his (^) and him (!) since ^ and ! both will read to you and others as 'her'.

emote peers at ~amos, and touches !amos.

Would show up in the room as -> The skinny lad peers at the tall, muscular man and, and touches him.
It would show up to Amos as -> The skinny lad peers at you, and touches you.

Then, &

& is himself/herself.

emote touches &amos

Would show up to the room as -> The tall, muscular man touches himself.
Would show up to Amos as -> You touches yourself.

It doesn't make much grammatical sense to you, but it does to everyone around you.

+ and = are the same thing, which is 'his/hers'

It's just that = shows the entire mdesc, like %, and + shows his/hers, similar to how ^ functions.

emote kisses ~talia and lays his hand over +talia.

Would show up to the room as -> The tall, muscular man kisses the tall, muscular woman and lays his hand over hers.
Would show up to Talia as -> The tall, muscular man kisses you and lays his hand over yours.

emote presses ^me lips against =talia.

Would show up to the room as -> The tall, muscular man presses his lips against the tall, muscular woman's.
Would show up to Talia as -> The tall, muscular man presses his lips against yours.

Hope that helped.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

October 12, 2008, 08:17:32 PM #4 Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:20:38 PM by Tulana
Quote from: Is Friday on October 12, 2008, 06:47:00 PM
^his/her
!him/her
#he/she

Hey, thanks. I learned about the '!' though I don't get why you'd use that over ~ which means the same thing?

But what I'm asking for are specifically the symbols in the title of the thread. I know about the rest (^, #, etc)

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 12, 2008, 06:47:07 PM
If you are asking about the examples, it is to provide the ability to grammerically flow correctly. () proceeds the command, [] follows the command. I didn't know anything about **, as it never occured to me to even attempt.

If you are actually asking about the symbols to proceed keywords (~man/!man/%man/etc), I am not sure what you do not understand.

Ah, that makes sense.

I meant specifically the symbols =, +, !, &

I couldn't find info or examples on what they do that other symbols don't already do

Quote from: Tulana on October 12, 2008, 08:17:32 PM
^his/her
!him/her
#he/she

Hey, thanks. I learned about the '!' though I don't get why you'd use that over ~ which means the same thing?
In case you want a shorter sentence, so as not to reach the emote limit or for it to be read easier if you've already used ~ in that emote/say. For instance:

em waves to ~amos before motioning for !amos to sit down.

Malik waves to the tall, muscular man before motioning for him to sit down.

As opposed to:

Malik waves to the tall, muscular man before motioning for the tall, muscular man to sit down.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Shiroi Tsuki on October 12, 2008, 07:46:27 PM
First, !

! is him/her, which makes more sense to differentiate as 'him'.  The way to remember the difference in my head is mostly between his (^) and him (!) since ^ and ! both will read to you and others as 'her'.

emote peers at ~amos, and touches !amos.

Would show up in the room as -> The skinny lad peers at the tall, muscular man and, and touches him.
It would show up to Amos as -> The skinny lad peers at you, and touches you.

Then, &

& is himself/herself.

emote touches &amos

Would show up to the room as -> The tall, muscular man touches himself.
Would show up to Amos as -> You touches yourself.

It doesn't make much grammatical sense to you, but it does to everyone around you.

+ and = are the same thing, which is 'his/hers'

It's just that = shows the entire mdesc, like %, and + shows his/hers, similar to how ^ functions.

Would show up to the room as -> The tall, muscular man kisses the tall, muscular woman and lays his hand over hers.
Would show up to Talia as -> The tall, muscular man kisses you and lays his hand over yours.

emote presses ^me lips against =talia.

Would show up to the room as -> The tall, muscular man presses his lips against the tall, muscular woman's.
Would show up to Talia as -> The tall, muscular man presses his lips against yours.

Hope that helped.

Ahh thank you. But again, why not use just % and ^ instead of = and + if they mean the same thing?

Quote from: Is Friday on October 12, 2008, 08:22:23 PM
Quote from: Tulana on October 12, 2008, 08:17:32 PM
^his/her
!him/her
#he/she

In case you want a shorter sentence, so as not to reach the emote limit or for it to be read easier if you've already used ~ in that emote/say. For instance:

em waves to ~amos before motioning for !amos to sit down.

Malik waves to the tall, muscular man before motioning for him to sit down.

As opposed to:

Malik waves to the tall, muscular man before motioning for the tall, muscular man to sit down.

Ahh thanks!!

I've two new questions:

1. Would it be ok to use this? :

:pulls ^me legs close to her body and wraps them with ^me arms

2. This I read in the help files, but didn't know you could combine two symbols.

eat (lowering ^@ head) meat [then looks up and wipes ^@ mouth]

Can you do this with other symbols?

Yes you can use "me" and there are examples on the GDB of people using it scattered around various threads. Personally, I just type in the pronoun when I'm referring to myself, because it's one less symbol I have to remember not to screw up.

emote looks down at her hands and flexes her fingers.

as opposed to:

emote looks down at ^me hands and flexes ^me fingers.

"her" is infinitely easier to type than "^me", requires the same number of characters to type, and echoes the exact same to anyone watching other than myself. It doesn't matter how it looks to me, since emote echoes sometimes look weird when you're referring to your own character in them anyway.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 12, 2008, 08:47:54 PM
Yes you can use "me" and there are examples on the GDB of people using it scattered around various threads. Personally, I just type in the pronoun when I'm referring to myself, because it's one less symbol I have to remember not to screw up.

I do this too.  The only one who sees an improper echo is you (which you are already seeing since it shows you your sdesc instead of 'you').
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Tulana on October 12, 2008, 08:25:46 PM

Ahh thank you. But again, why not use just % and ^ instead of = and + if they mean the same thing?

They are similar, but not the same thing.  If you did..

emote kisses ~talia and lays his hand over ^talia.

Would show up to the room as -> The tall, muscular man kisses the tall, muscular woman and lays his hand over her.
Would show up to Talia as -> The tall, muscular man kisses you and lays his hand over your.

Neither shows up correctly.  Where as with +

That shows up correctly.

The Chosen

Also, the only reason I use ^me instead of 'his' is because occasionally I will play characters of a different gender, and being in this habit has been the only thing that has prevented me from publicly screwing up the gender of a new character on more than one occasion.

That might not seem like much of a reason, but I personally am just used to it.  Since it doesn't show up improperly to anybody except you, in this incarnation of the game, I don't see why it would matter much.  I'm looking forward to Arm2, when if I set my entire thing to do first person, the whole string will always show up first person.

The Chosen

Yep it's definitely a matter of preference, as long as it's just your own character you're doing it with. I've seen a few instances of:

>The green-eyed man waves his hand to greet the brown-haired woman.

And *I* was the brown-haired woman. Talk about strange, seeing someone waving to someone else, but that someone else was me. I keep typing "look" to see if there was someone with the same sdesc as me in the room when that happens. The funniest ones are when we misdirect a keyword. Like, reaching into the female wearing the red silk veil, when you're actually trying to reach into your blue silk bag. I think we've all done that a few times!
:)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Can this be made a sticky. I've picked up on quite a bit I didn't know from this thread.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

I haven't seen stickies... There are tons and tons of threads worthy to be stickied, but I don't think they ever will be. I bookmark good threads in furl.net under Arm.
Maybe the Creators could take this as a hint to reorganize the emoting help file or to create that emoting tutorial I suggested ;)

Thanks Lizzie and Shiroi. No one answered this though  ;D :

Quote2. This I read in the help files, but didn't know you could combine two symbols.

eat (lowering ^@ head) meat [then looks up and wipes ^@ mouth]

Can you do this with other symbols?

That isn't anything I've ever tried, since doing ^@ seems a lot more awkward to me than just doing ^me.

I would assume though if it parses correctly for the one symbol, it would parse for all of them.  Since it would be silly for a coder to write that as an exception ONLY into the code for the ^ symbol, instead of into the code for emote symbols in general.

The Chosen

I can't use two symbols.

The Rock looks at ^the tights-wearing, shaven man.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Quote from: Delstro on October 13, 2008, 08:48:06 AM
I can't use two symbols.

The Rock looks at ^the tights-wearing, shaven man.

That would be... Wrong, in a sense.

What everyone else would see:
The rock looks at his.

What the tights-wearing, shaven man sees:
The rock looks at your.

This is how, I, as a player group the emote commands.

~ = The tights-wearing, shaven wo/man
! = Him/Her

% = The tights-wearing, shaven wo/man's
^ = His/Her

Here are some examples I use with @.

>Grunting, @ turns around to face the horizon.
Grunting, the tights-wearing, shaven man turns around to face the horizon.

or

>Snorting at ~man, @ takes a step back, slashing out at ^man wrist.
Snorting at the tall, muscular man, the tights-wearing, shaven man takes a step back, slashing out at his (The tall muscular man's) wrist.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

You are wrong, Gunnerblaster. Your examples make me feel like you missunderstood.

I cannot use ~ and @ together. I can't use one to target the other. It won't work.
> forage artifacts

October 13, 2008, 01:09:05 PM #21 Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:11:54 PM by Gunnerblaster
Quote from: Delstro on October 13, 2008, 01:03:06 PM
You are wrong, Gunnerblaster. Your examples make me feel like you missunderstood.

I cannot use ~ and @ together. I can't use one to target the other. It won't work.

Oh, yeah - In that case, I am wrong.

But why would you try to target yourself? ~ is to target and @ is for yourself. Could you give an example of what your trying to accomplish by ~@ yourself?

Edited to add:
~ is typically used to target objects either ON your character, objects in the room, or someone else.

@ activates your short desc when inserted further along in an emote.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

You got me, I don't know either. I was addressing a previous post.
> forage artifacts

For the record (I just played with this) using ^@, !@, or any other sort of emote symbol and @ does not work to target yourself.

The only way @ works is if you want to insert your name in the middle of an emote.

For instance, emote Bending, @ surveys the ground.

Trying to do emote slaps ^@ hand to ^@ head is not going to parse correctly.  It'll throw your sdesc in there twice, while showing the ^ thingies.

The Chosen

Is there a way to accomplish:

the something, something man says, "This is the first part of what I want to say." then glances over his shoulder and continues, "This is the second part of what I want to say."
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com