List by weapon types.

Started by Qzzrbl, October 01, 2008, 04:28:17 PM

AHEM! Now that I manage to get this post in the proper thread....

In my time of tackling the impossible task of looking for long-knives and short-swords falling under the "slashing" category, I came to the realization that this could be made so much easier if I could "list <merchant> slashing" and get a list of all the slashing weapons for sale. As opposed to looking through every knife, dagger, dirk, short sword, and long knife on the list.

As convenient as it may seem, personally I think that proposal would break immersion.

Find someone ic and ask them to advise you on weapon choices, or spend the time picking over them and examining them until you find the one you like.  Expect to learn as you go and make some mistakes, and don't make your first character concept a smith/warrior weapon master that knows everything about swords.

I like that certain things require interaction or patience to figure out, I don't really want the code to make everything easy, sorted and tagged for me.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

The problem with this is what if your character doesn't know?  You don't know a weapon's type unless you have the weapon-skill associated with that weapon-type.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Which makes sense.

I rarely stab people in real life and I have absolutely no idea what a piercing weapon looks like.

On a related note, I think most weapons should be pretty obvious as to how they're used even if you don't have the particular skill. Maybe a yagathan or something isn't going to be obvious, but I think most people know what a dagger does. Or a longsword. People should be able to tell which side is sharp and what is blunt.

That's my thought on not knowing weapon type unless you don't have the skill.

... which seems like what Yam was alluding to as I was typing. So, cool.

l weapon
assess weapon

I've never had too hard of a time figuring out what a "jagged, double bladed knife" or a "massive blunt club" might be used for.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

I always get alot of these.

>View knife

You see a knife. It's long, about a cord long. It has a long sharp edge that looks like it could cut stuff. It tapers to a sharp point.

It appears to be a piercing weapon.

Sometimes it's piercing, more rarely slashing.

I figured being able to view by weapon types would just make things a little more convenient.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 01, 2008, 07:56:10 PM

>View knife

You see a knife. It's long, about a cord long. It has a long sharp edge that looks like it could cut stuff. It tapers to a sharp point.

I figured being able to view by weapon types would just make things a little more convenient.

Some of those weapons are 'flip'pable.

Quote from: Yam on October 01, 2008, 08:12:14 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 01, 2008, 07:56:10 PM

>View knife

Some of those weapons are 'flip'pable.

Excuse my noobish ignorance but....

What?  ???

There used to be a flip command. Weird.

There still is. If a weapon can serve in a different damaging capacity, the command will allow you to use it in that way. It is not a common feature.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

>flip
Sorry, you cannot do that here.

???

Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Okay... you see a knife... it has sharp edges and a point.  Is it balanced and weighted to be a slashing weapon or a piercing weapon?  How do you know?  By knowing something about slashing or piercing weapons and how to use them... by testing its weight and balance against what you know.  The system works.  You look at a weapon and test its balance by using the commands we already have.

In short, I don't think it's worth the headache just to make it easier to be lazy.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on October 01, 2008, 10:00:31 PM
Okay... you see a knife... it has sharp edges and a point.  Is it balanced and weighted to be a slashing weapon or a piercing weapon?  How do you know?  By knowing something about slashing or piercing weapons and how to use them... by testing its weight and balance against what you know.  The system works.  You look at a weapon and test its balance by using the commands we already have.

In short, I don't think it's worth the headache just to make it easier to be lazy.

This can get old when there are 100+ potential slashing shortswords and longknives on the list.

Are knives really weighted for stabbing or slashing?

Don't you just try and get the sharp parts into someone?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 01, 2008, 10:06:49 PM
This can get old when there are 100+ potential slashing shortswords and longknives on the list.
So... you should be able to walk into Target and ask them to put away all the merchandise on their shelves that isn't (insert descriptor here) ?  No, you have to go through their inventory and find what you want your own self.  Do so in game too.

Quote from: Yam on October 01, 2008, 10:07:36 PM

Some knives are made for cutting and some for stabbing indeed.  See, Yam doesn't have the weapon skills, so he can't tell the difference.  Why should he have a work-around besides asking someone IC like he has?

And most combat weapons are designed to do both.

But I don't like it, I like having to search through them. It's like actually having to do the work.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: spawnloser on October 01, 2008, 10:10:37 PM
So... you should be able to walk into Target and ask them to put away all the merchandise on their shelves that isn't (insert descriptor here) ?  No, you have to go through their inventory and find what you want your own self.  Do so in game too.

Some knives are made for cutting and some for stabbing indeed.  See, Yam doesn't have the weapon skills, so he can't tell the difference.  Why should he have a work-around besides asking someone IC like he has?

Yam eyes your theory dubiously.

In real life it doesn't really matter, nobody is going to shout: "Ha! You can't backstab me with that! That weapon is hardly pointy at all!"  They won't shout that because they'll be lying on their face bleeding out of their spine.  Knives don't have to be perfect in real life, people get hurt pretty quick when you start stabbing, hacking, bludgeoning or whatever.  We also don't rely on combat skills.

I don't think it really matters how real life knives are weighted.
Okay this must be my hundredth forum post today, I'm done now.  Getting delerious.

So... you should be able to walk into Target and ask them to put away all the merchandise on their shelves that isn't (insert descriptor here) ?  No, you have to go through their inventory and find what you want your own self.  Do so in game too

Actually.... If you type "List <merchant name> descriptor", you will only be shown weapons with that descriptor. Though it's only for short descriptions. I've always thought of it as looking around the shop for something you actually want to use, rather than having the merchant put everything else away.  ;)

Also, I've never picked up a katar or a flail in my life, but I know what they are, and what functions they serve.

my two sids:  I like the way the shops are now.

Also:  I wish more weapons were 'flip'able (where apporpriate of course).  I would love to have a war hammer with a huge spike sticking out the back of it that I could use to impale someone.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I disagree. You may not know what a certain weapon is used for. There are certain weapons used in many martial arts, stick like weapons that are often mistaken for a clubbing weapon, when in fact, they are supposed to be used in a slashing or whipping fashion for optimum function.

Now granted, you could figure this out with half a brain and a second to think about it. But you'd still need to pick it up and examine it first.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

I could just imagine poor Yam talking to a PC merchant about getting his buddy a sword for his birthday.....

Merchant: So what is it you'd like to order?
Yam: Right.... Well. It's a weapon....
Merchant: A weapon.... Right, right, good. What kind of weapon.
Yam: Well.... It's one of those things.... That you can cut people with.
Merchant: ...A sword?
Yam: Eeh, I'm not sure if that's what it was called..... It's more of a cutty.... slicey thing that makes people bleed.
Merchant: ....A sword?
Yam: Naah, nah, I'm pretty positive it wasn't a "sword"....
Merchant: A dagger then?
Yam: What the fuck does "dagger" mean?
Yam OOC: You're a merchant, you're not supposed to have any of the weapon skills. :/
Merchant OOC: Oh! Right, sorry.
Merchant: A cutty slicey thing, eh?
Yam: Yeah.
Merchant: *handing over a big bag of obsidian dicks* Here ya go!
Yam: Perfect!

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 01, 2008, 10:38:05 PM

Where's Ghost? A bag of dicks joke, and he's nowhere to be found. :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on October 01, 2008, 10:41:25 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 01, 2008, 10:38:05 PM

Where's Ghost? A bag of dicks joke, and he's nowhere to be found. :(

A shame how that happens...

:(

Sure, you've picked up little bits of information here and there.  But if you see a weapon that looks like it could either stab or slash, how do you know what it was truly designed for?  You ask.  You're told.  You remember.  You can't just pick one up and figure it out on your own unless you understand something about the weapons.  Trust me.  I know people that really DO know something about knife-fighting, a few old army rangers, and they can go on and on about different knives and how some are made for cutting and some for stabbing.  I couldn't tell myself, but they sure will laugh at people that mistake one for the other.

If it could be coded so that you can only tell if you have the weapon-skill, sure... but I still think it's too much headache just so people can be lazy.

Oh, and please stop ridiculing me and others just because you disagree.  We already know you disagree and want to be lazy.  The thing is, we're all laughing anyway... it's just that we're laughing AT you for not listening to us when we know more than you about how weapons are used.

Yes, most bladed weapons can do both... like rapiers can slash, and broadswords can stab... but they're easier to use in certain ways and more effective too.

Way to outdo yourself, Spawnloser.

Quote from: Yam on October 03, 2008, 07:53:26 PM

Yeah, really. o-O

Little overkill.... I was just poking a little fun with those "ridicule" posts. Besides, I couldn't resist a bag of dicks joke. x]

And sure, Army Rangers could probably cut any of us to ribbons in a knife fight, but they probably can't tell you much about a knife that you don't already know. Things like, "This is a blade. You cut things with this." or, "You see that point right there? You can stab people with it."

I just find it a little silly that a guy working at the weapon store's counter couldn't tell you the function of a weapon. If you don't have the bludgeoning weapon skill, is it that hard to determine if the rounded block of wood is for bashing or slashing things?

If you're looking for a sword, you can type, "list <merchant name> sword" to find swords only.

If you're looking for a knife, you can throw out a, "list <merchant name> knife.", and get a list of knives.

And if it's just so horrible that someone can get a list of weapon types they don't have on their skill list, even though they could just read it's description and make a very accurate guess at what it's supposed to do, then whatever. -shrug-

I guess I'll just deal with it.

Guess we can call whoever came up with, "list <merchant name> <descriptor>" a lazy asshat too.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 03, 2008, 09:38:40 PM
And sure, Army Rangers could probably cut any of us to ribbons in a knife fight, but they probably can't tell you much about a knife that you don't already know. Things like, "This is a blade. You cut things with this." or, "You see that point right there? You can stab people with it."
You'd be surprised.  Some of these people are artists... in a kinda violent, scary sort of way.

If you're looking for a sword, you can type, "list <merchant name> sword" to find swords only.

If you're looking for a knife, you can throw out a, "list <merchant name> knife.", and get a list of knives.
Sure, you can list swords.  You can list knives.  You can make an educated guess as to which of each is slashing and which is piercing, but there are some out there that may surprise you.  That's my point.  The merchant you're buying it from doesn't have the weapon skills so they can't necessarily tell you which is designed for slashing and which is designed for stabbing.

And if it's just so horrible that someone can get a list of weapon types they don't have on their skill list, even though they could just read it's description and make a very accurate guess at what it's supposed to do, then whatever. -shrug-
Going back to my Target metaphor... you can go into Target and 'list dvd' by going to the right department... but you can't 'list tom cruise' to get only those movies with Tom Cruise in them.  Target's employees may not know, but then again, they might just like going to an NPC who can't tell you versus going to a PC merchant that has learned some things and can.

I guess I'll just deal with it.
My advice exactly.

Always shoot to better yourself.  It's called improvement/growth. ;)

Quote from: spawnloser on October 03, 2008, 11:15:19 PM
Always shoot to better yourself.  It's called improvement/growth. ;)

You are in Quadrant III.