List by weapon types.

Started by Qzzrbl, October 01, 2008, 04:28:17 PM

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 01, 2008, 10:38:05 PM

Merchant: A cutty slicey thing, eh?
Yam: Yeah.
Merchant: *handing over a big bag of obsidian dicks* Here ya go!
Yam: Perfect!

Where's Ghost? A bag of dicks joke, and he's nowhere to be found. :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on October 01, 2008, 10:41:25 PM
Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 01, 2008, 10:38:05 PM

Merchant: A cutty slicey thing, eh?
Yam: Yeah.
Merchant: *handing over a big bag of obsidian dicks* Here ya go!
Yam: Perfect!

Where's Ghost? A bag of dicks joke, and he's nowhere to be found. :(

A shame how that happens...

:(

Sure, you've picked up little bits of information here and there.  But if you see a weapon that looks like it could either stab or slash, how do you know what it was truly designed for?  You ask.  You're told.  You remember.  You can't just pick one up and figure it out on your own unless you understand something about the weapons.  Trust me.  I know people that really DO know something about knife-fighting, a few old army rangers, and they can go on and on about different knives and how some are made for cutting and some for stabbing.  I couldn't tell myself, but they sure will laugh at people that mistake one for the other.

If it could be coded so that you can only tell if you have the weapon-skill, sure... but I still think it's too much headache just so people can be lazy.

Oh, and please stop ridiculing me and others just because you disagree.  We already know you disagree and want to be lazy.  The thing is, we're all laughing anyway... it's just that we're laughing AT you for not listening to us when we know more than you about how weapons are used.

Yes, most bladed weapons can do both... like rapiers can slash, and broadswords can stab... but they're easier to use in certain ways and more effective too.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Way to outdo yourself, Spawnloser.

Quote from: Yam on October 03, 2008, 07:53:26 PM

Yeah, really. o-O

Little overkill.... I was just poking a little fun with those "ridicule" posts. Besides, I couldn't resist a bag of dicks joke. x]

And sure, Army Rangers could probably cut any of us to ribbons in a knife fight, but they probably can't tell you much about a knife that you don't already know. Things like, "This is a blade. You cut things with this." or, "You see that point right there? You can stab people with it."

I just find it a little silly that a guy working at the weapon store's counter couldn't tell you the function of a weapon. If you don't have the bludgeoning weapon skill, is it that hard to determine if the rounded block of wood is for bashing or slashing things?

If you're looking for a sword, you can type, "list <merchant name> sword" to find swords only.

If you're looking for a knife, you can throw out a, "list <merchant name> knife.", and get a list of knives.

And if it's just so horrible that someone can get a list of weapon types they don't have on their skill list, even though they could just read it's description and make a very accurate guess at what it's supposed to do, then whatever. -shrug-

I guess I'll just deal with it.

Guess we can call whoever came up with, "list <merchant name> <descriptor>" a lazy asshat too.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 03, 2008, 09:38:40 PM
And sure, Army Rangers could probably cut any of us to ribbons in a knife fight, but they probably can't tell you much about a knife that you don't already know. Things like, "This is a blade. You cut things with this." or, "You see that point right there? You can stab people with it."
You'd be surprised.  Some of these people are artists... in a kinda violent, scary sort of way.

If you're looking for a sword, you can type, "list <merchant name> sword" to find swords only.

If you're looking for a knife, you can throw out a, "list <merchant name> knife.", and get a list of knives.
Sure, you can list swords.  You can list knives.  You can make an educated guess as to which of each is slashing and which is piercing, but there are some out there that may surprise you.  That's my point.  The merchant you're buying it from doesn't have the weapon skills so they can't necessarily tell you which is designed for slashing and which is designed for stabbing.

And if it's just so horrible that someone can get a list of weapon types they don't have on their skill list, even though they could just read it's description and make a very accurate guess at what it's supposed to do, then whatever. -shrug-
Going back to my Target metaphor... you can go into Target and 'list dvd' by going to the right department... but you can't 'list tom cruise' to get only those movies with Tom Cruise in them.  Target's employees may not know, but then again, they might just like going to an NPC who can't tell you versus going to a PC merchant that has learned some things and can.

I guess I'll just deal with it.
My advice exactly.

Always shoot to better yourself.  It's called improvement/growth. ;)
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on October 03, 2008, 11:15:19 PM
Always shoot to better yourself.  It's called improvement/growth. ;)

You are in Quadrant III.