Horned, brown-furred ox

Started by jcljules, September 21, 2008, 09:58:56 AM

What is this creature? Its available at one of the mount shops IG, and I haven't been able to find out from any of the docs what its good at, or if there is another name for it. I hope this isn't a question thats too IC; but since every other creature I've seen for sale at a mount shop has a description and traits listed on the website, I thought it wouldn't be too secret.
Quote from: Gimfalisette
(10:00:49 PM) Gimf: Yes, you sentence? I sentence often.

OOC: It's an ox. You know, like we have oxen in real life. Sort of like, cows and buffalo. Oxen are used traditionally in the USA for pulling farm equipment (before god invented the engine). Big burly strong plodding slow as molasses lazy-ass critters.

IC: if you're in the mount store, you can "view ox." I don't think you can "view #3" in mount stores but you -can- view the actual critter if you use that syntax instead of the number.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Horned, brown-furred ox

There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Ok, ok; so same as an earth ox.  ;D

I never trust RL names in Zalanthas, but I suppose this one was right. Thanks for your help. I also didn't know you could "view ox," I just tried "view #3"

Quote from: jcljules on September 21, 2008, 10:08:29 AM
I never trust RL names in Zalanthas

That's wise of you. However, yes, this one happens to work out somewhat similarly - though I think they're a bit different in some minor ways. Still, visual representation is good.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

I think you're usually pretty safe to trust RL names in Zalanthas.  For all the weird creatures out there, the game is still written in English.

Snakes are snakes, ox are oxen, swords are swords...  I can't think of any place where an English word is used to describe something other than what that word would normally describe.  I'm sure there are probably a couple, but I can't think of them right now.

What am I missing?

Dwarves.  Real-life dwarves typically are not hairless and will usually respond with confusion if you ask them about their focus.

Quote from: touringCompl3t3 on September 21, 2008, 02:12:10 PM
Dwarves.  Real-life dwarves typically are not hairless and will usually respond with confusion if you ask them about their focus.

HaHa, LMFAO
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Mantis.

And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on September 21, 2008, 02:38:52 PM
I always kinda pictured 'em as yaks.

Me too, especially with the sdesc of their wild counterparts.
a woolly plains ox  or something like that
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Lizzie on September 21, 2008, 10:03:36 AM
IC: if you're in the mount store, you can "view ox." I don't think you can "view #3" in mount stores but you -can- view the actual critter if you use that syntax instead of the number.

"view 3" (instead of "view #3") should work, as well.  Mount shops are odd.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Haze on September 21, 2008, 01:02:39 PM

I think you're usually pretty safe to trust RL names in Zalanthas.  For all the weird creatures out there, the game is still written in English.

Snakes are snakes, ox are oxen, swords are swords...  I can't think of any place where an English word is used to describe something other than what that word would normally describe.  I'm sure there are probably a couple, but I can't think of them right now.

What am I missing?

Tarantula. Scorpion. A wee bit different than the tarantulas and scorpions I've seen wandering around my house.  ;)

Not trusting the english interpretation on zalanthas = good caution.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

September 22, 2008, 07:14:56 AM #14 Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:20:52 AM by Manhattan
 ;D
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Aurochs are subtly different.

And yet they boast the slightly-fictional appearance that oxen lack ... I vote to see Aurochs be the Zalanthan Ox.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

That particular auroch's horns aren't reaching towards the sky.

I miss my aurochs. I hope someone is taking good care of it, somewhere in the world.

That is all.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on September 22, 2008, 01:17:06 PM
Uh, I'm pretty sure that's not the same thing. Those are described as antlers, and antlers have a different appearance than horn, as the auroch has.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 22, 2008, 01:54:58 PM
Uh, I'm pretty sure that's not the same thing. Those are described as antlers, and antlers have a different appearance than horn, as the auroch has.

Let's head off this discussion right here, shall we?

Quote from: Tisiphone on September 22, 2008, 02:09:51 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 22, 2008, 01:54:58 PM
That particular
Uh, I'm pretty sure
Let's head off this discussion right here, shall we?

The white-jacketed orderly subdues you, despite your attempts to struggle away!
> tell 7DV (flailing wildly, spittle flying) I refute you!  I refute you without mentioning any IC-sensitive evidence!

*snicker*

I prefer to imagine Zalanthan oxen as a bit less shaggy...

I always pictured Gwoshi more like a yak.