Names As Keywords?

Started by Desertman, September 17, 2008, 04:09:07 PM

Should PC names be mandatory keywords?

Yes.
No.
Addkeyword Optional
Quote from: staggerlee on September 19, 2008, 03:58:18 PM
Like Shiroi, I think I'm doing beating this particular equine corpse.
I did want to add to his statement though that it also punishes players with low play times.   A lot of clan leaders and newbies don't have time to tavern sit waiting for introductions.    Being able to handle that stuff over the Way while going about clan business can be an incredibly important tool for those of us who's play time is limited to a few hours a week.

I can see that.

I hate that it would inconvenience those who only have a few hours a week to play.

Firstly, if you only have a few hours a week to play, I think you should have the OOC courtesy to not be playing a clan leader to begin with.

But thats a different arguement.

Secondly, if you only have a few hours a week to play then I have to say I dont mind inconveniencing you.

Its not that I dont like you, its that you dont have mass time. It will negatively affect the few hours you are online, thats unfortunate.

What about the people who do have a lot of hours to sit and play? I dont see it hurting them that much.

Since they put in more hours than you, I put them above you. (Not in importance as a human being or anything like that, but for mass-hour gaming reasons. You play less, you arent as important when it comes to determining whats good for the playerbase, you are less affected, because you play, less.)
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: mansa on September 19, 2008, 05:37:24 PM
Desertman's arguement is that you should not be able to contact people using their name.
He's conceided to being able to contact people with their name AFTER you have introduced yourself to them in game.

I don't agree with the first argument, and see the second one as unneccessary for the same reasons I agree with the current code implementation$

It just occured to me, after reading your post, that those of us with psion karma would really be affected by this.

A psion would have to have been in the room with someone at some point in order to contact them, and then use their powers on them.

Hrrrm.

That would put a damper on those of us that like to play uber-powerful-psions.

Maybe the ability to contact someone without ever having met them could be a psion power.

As in, only psions could do it due to thier uber brain powerz.

I don't so much mind having the Way IG, players will find a way to communicate with eachother be it IG or OOC one way or another.

But I'd like to see how the Way works set in stone, so most any proposed idea concerning the Way doesn't get shot down with, "You don't know how the Way works!"

Really, nobody does.

The Way as it is now could use some change, and I think Desertman's idea would be great if implemented. I mean, if you can just focus on someone's name and make contact with them, disregarding EVERY other singular living being on Zalanthas with the same name, that should be something reserved for Psiconists.

Now if you chilled in the Gaj with a guy you've come to know as Amos for a few hours and became good friends with him, that's another story. You have a face to put the name with. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

Wow. Start a different topic on why to get rid of the way. That is a different topic after all. That is fucked up Desertman. Just because I play a couple hours after peak American time, you want to make it harder on me to join a clan?

That is fucked up. The way is a Cingular-like system that benefits the game. How does it benefit the game? It keeps people in contact and contact creates RP.

You being able to add keywords to people greatly decreases the negatives of the way. I am for Qzzrbl's idea and not for your idea of getting rid of the way Desertman.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

Also, if you play off-peak hours, and you want to join a clan, wish up to the Imms, or write them an e-mail. I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping you out and telling the current clan leaders that there's a new recruit lurking around so they can make active attempts at finding you IG so you guys can meet and get your keywords done and all that other fun stuff. :D

So keeping the Way and implementing the new keyword system wouldn't put too much of a damper on off peak players.

Maybe we could put in a little documentation about why the Way works that way....

When one telepathically inclined individual makes contact with another, the signature telepathic 'scent' of each individual gets stored away in each respective being's brains. Every being with psionic capabilities has a distinct telepathic essence, once that essence has been 'scented' by another telepathically capable being they will from that day forward have the ability to reach out across distances and key in to that specific being's mind and even communicate through such a link.

Or something similar to that. I'm a shit writer.

Quote from: Delstro on September 19, 2008, 05:47:49 PM
Wow. Start a different topic on why to get rid of the way. That is a different topic after all. That is fucked up Desertman. Just because I play a couple hours after peak American time, you want to make it harder on me to join a clan?

That is fucked up. The way is a Cingular-like system that benefits the game. How does it benefit the game? It keeps people in contact and contact creates RP.

You being able to add keywords to people greatly decreases the negatives of the way. I am for Qzzrbl's idea and not for your idea of getting rid of the way Desertman.

That was a passing statement, and not the idea I have presented.

Let me clarify...

I am in favor of getting rid of the Way.

That will never happen.

I am willing to compromise with making the Way only work between two individuals who have actually laid eyes on one another.

(Also, Qzzrbl's idea is the same idea I have been presenting for FOUR threads...so, you DO agree with me and you DO like my idea.  ;)  )

Quote from: Desertman on September 19, 2008, 05:52:21 PM
Quote from: Delstro on September 19, 2008, 05:47:49 PM

That was a passing statement, and not the idea I have presented.

Let me clarify...

That will never happen.

I am willing to compromise with making the Way only work between two individuals who have actually laid eyes on one another.

(Also, Qzzrbl's idea is the same idea I have been presenting for FOUR threads...so, you DO agree with me and you DO like my idea.  ;)  )

Or used the sniff social *thumbs up*
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: Desertman on September 19, 2008, 05:52:21 PM
Let me clarify...

That will never happen.

I think it would be a shame for the Way to change in that fashion. Maybe if I had eight hours a day to sit in a tavern IG and just wait around, I wouldn't object. But I don't, so additional difficulty in Contacting would all but kill most of my interaction. I understand that Zalanthas is a hard world, but that doesn't mean Armageddon has to be a hard game. Why place OOC hardships on the casual player that might chase some away? Do you really only want to interact with PCs whose players have 40 hours a week to devote to Armageddon?

I like the power in names, I just finished reading the first two books of the Eragon cycle and there is alot of emphasis in the strengths of names. Zalanthas has many references and examples of the power of truenames. Perhaps the way could be broken down into something similar? Only with the use of a truename, perhaps another name could be added during creation that was a 'way name'. Almost like giving your subconscious a nickname, or it giving itself a nickname.. either way it would be neat in my eyes. Whereas you would have only those to be used as keywords in finding someone's mind so raider bob wouldn't get a flurry of soldiers contacting him because there was a lumberjack who saw a dude in a red cloak and his raider career being thwarted in an instant.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Who said anything about having to wait in a tavern for hours to find someone?

If you want to find a guy who you can't Way, ask around, make interaction. It's good for the game.

If you don't find him in the first day, people you've asked will tell the guy you're looking for that you're looking for him, they could even find his mind if they know him.