Guide to Not Falling in a Hole, amidst other good advice for Finding Your Way

Started by LittleLostThief, September 13, 2008, 09:53:19 PM

It amazes me the amount of players who do not know that "exits" or "exit" is a command.  Use it.  It's good for you.

Each hole that you come across is detectable by using at least one of three methods, if not more.  "Exits" might tell you if a hole is nearby, "look direction" might give you a hint that a hole is nearby, and lastly, reading the room description thoroughly might give you the knowledge you need to realize that if you go west you'll fall into doomy doom.

The function of "exits" doesn't stop there.  If you are wandering around in the dark and you are lost, "exit" will show you what rooms nearby are lit.  Perfect for finding the Gaj if you're not sure that you typed in your speedwalk macro correctly.

"Exit" will also show you which rooms nearby are safe from the storm that is otherwise blinding you.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

And DON'T codely follow people through the tablelands, ESPECIALLY if you can't climb.  Realistically no one would follow someone into a hole the size of a house, but it happens all the time.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Neato, I didn't know about 'exits'. I always used to do l e; l n; l s; l w. Which is sufficient for finding those pesky holes and other things, but exits does the trick with less screen scroll.

I was the inspiration for this thread. *gloats*
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Even if you don't type "exit" or "l n l s l e l w" - at the very least, you should always be looking in the direction you are trying to go. Just like your mom used to always tell you. "Look where you are going!"

Oh and don't run with scissors. But you knew that, and running with scissors won't get you lost, so it doesn't matter.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

It's not too much a secret to say that the exits command still retains some functionality in the dark.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Carrying a flashlight may also help you find your way, even if it is still too stormy to actually see.  I can't tell you where to find flashlights, that's IC, so if you don't have a flashlight you might want to use something like a glow crystal instead.  You know, something that won't blow out in stormy weather.  Glow crystals also fit in your pocket more believably than torches,  ;) which is is ideal for an emergency light source.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: Angela Christine on September 14, 2008, 01:23:18 AM
Carrying a flashlight fleshlight may also help you find your way.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Depends on your mood.  Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes... errr, not so much.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Agent_137 on September 14, 2008, 02:02:16 AM
is it just me though or does it have a slight command delay?

I've never noticed a significant delay.  It does cost a single movement point to use it in a room that you can't see in.  It's usually worth it.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

ah i see now that it does, but yes, if you can't see in that room the look n,e,s,w, just doesn't provide nearly as much info, espescially if you're out in the desert where there are more holes to fall in. neat!

Coming on a year I've been playing this game. Never had a clue this command existed.

Don't play in the tablelands. /sarcasm
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Desertman on October 08, 2008, 05:59:45 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 14, 2008, 01:40:14 AM
Quote from: Angela Christine on September 14, 2008, 01:23:18 AM
Carrying a flashlight fleshlight may also help you find your way.

Yeah, until you the WHOLE thing!!!

Then you are just lost.

It does suck when you DO accidently the whole thing, thinking you have a spare.
I lost a PC in a DEEP DEEP DEEP dark place one time, wondered around in the dark for a RL week a few house/day untill I finally died of dehydration.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on October 08, 2008, 06:24:58 PM

It does suck when you DO accidently the whole thing, thinking you have a spare.
I lost a PC in a DEEP DEEP DEEP dark place one time, wondered around in the dark for a RL week a few house/day untill I finally died of dehydration.

To prevent this, A2 should implement grues.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: Angela Christine on October 08, 2008, 10:00:04 PM

What are grues?
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on October 09, 2008, 10:26:22 AM

What are grues?
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

> what is a grue?

The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

Quote from: Vessol on October 09, 2008, 10:45:18 AM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on October 09, 2008, 10:26:22 AM

What are grues?
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

> what is a grue?

The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

Ah, thanks.
Grebber - One who grebs.

What are grues?

In the text adventure Zork, if an area was dark and you had no active light source, the game would report: "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

If the player attempted any movement without first turning on the lamp, he would indeed be eaten by a grue. No savings throw, game over.

Quote from: number13 on October 09, 2008, 01:55:53 PM
..he would indeed be eaten by a grue. No savings throw, game over.

That is funny.
Grebber - One who grebs.